Home Stamps Forum

Selling My Stamps

I am selling a collection for someone that I know. I have a bunch more plate blocks as well as FDCs that will be going up for auction ASAP. Any feedback on this is appreciated.

Stamp Collection Link

Comments

• dougwtxdougwtx Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Looks fine to me; I even put a bid in to boost it along. There are a couple things I question; are they all mint-never hinged, with orig gum and no gum disturbance? Also, why so much for s/h? For $6.99 Priority with no insurance, it seems a bit steep, but I've seen other sellers charging $10 s/h for a stamp or coin. To the seasoned buyers, most will ignore auctions with excessive s/h charges.

Edited to add: I see you listed it under the "collection, lots" category. Another tip is to list in a secondary category for "plate blocks, multiples".
  • That is some good feedback. Thanks.

To answer your questions:
    1. They have never had any hinges
    2. It is the original gum (I don't think there has been any disturbance)
    3. I will be shipping in a box. That is the reason for the shipping charge.

I will try to list under the other catagory.

What do you think the auction will end at? I have an amount I would like to see and want to see how realistic it is.

I am planning on doing another one with plate blocks and possibly a third with First Day Covers.

I was given this collection to sell and figured this would be the best way to do it.
    Hard to guesstimate what the final price will be. If you have a plate blk collector needing those, your lot will sell for a decent price. I would think your lot will sell for more than the face value though. If you compare other lots sold, you have to consider they may not be true selling prices as much shilling goes on with eBay.

An alternative method prior to paying eBay fees is to post on free sites, either fixed or auction. This place is free if you wanted to give it shot at a fixed price/offers. There are several stamp auction websites that have free listings. These may not bring as much as eBay as you usually don't have non-collectors/unknowledgable bidding at those sites, but you never know.
  • Looks like you did a nice job putting it all together. I have it in my watchlist.

jerry
  • aww........and I have no money. Nice collection.
  • I do my best to take as many pictures as I can. Especially when its a field I have limited knowledge in.

I do have another wave coming soon (I hope). Lots more plate blocks and First Day Covers.

BTW, laceupboots, your signature is the coolest one I have ever seen.
  • Early FDC's or common stuff?
  • I'm not sure. I think they are mostly from the 1960s. I haven't taken a solid look at them yet.
  • Well, my auction ended at a lot less then I thought I was going to get. Hey, it happens.

Maybe my expectations were off. That is very possible.

edueku - I have not even begun the FDCs. I will let you know when I get them all together.
    It seems the "right" people just weren't looking or didn't have the funds during your auction. You take a look at other auctions and wonder why some of those buyers didn't bid on your lot as some people overpay greatly on a lot that one would have expected to sell for less.
  • swiwia - I just looked at your lot that sold - looks to me like it brought exactly what it was worth - 80% of face value or so. That is wholesale level for the lot.

I suggest that you NEVER use the word "investment" in a title or description. No decent collector will look at the lot as the term is frequently abused by sellers looking for suckers.

Don't have high expectations for your First Days - they are a glut on the market. Wholesale for most is 3c each.
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com