Home Metal Detecting
Options

Some new finds

Greetings everyone!

I hope everyone had a great Christmas and New Year. To keep this forum from drifting into hibernation during the cold season and the weather here has been unseasonably warm, I went out a couple times. Targets are getting scarcer there are not much to dig. I was able to turn up a couple of keepers, however.

First silver of 2007 is the 1962-D quarter. I love finding 1960's silver coins. The second piece is the pretty worn 1914 Buffalo nickel. One of the rarer mint-mark-less Buff's I've ever found. I also found a 1920 Canadian cent. Not much about this piece but I still love to find the Canadian coins especially the older ones. THe highlight is prolly the Navy pin (I'm guessing). It's about the size of a quarter.

Thanks for checking!

Comments

• Options
    gene2393gene2393 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭
    i like the canadian cent
  • Options
    coinnut86coinnut86 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭

<< <i>i like the canadian cent >>

Though that pin is prolly my fav. Maybe a boyscouts pin...idk? cool either way image
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    mmmmmm silver.
    Cool button!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>THe highlight is prolly the Navy pin (I'm guessing) >>

Navy, Schmavy.

That's a World War I tank!

If it is a military badge, which I assume it is, I would imagine it might also be Canadian, or maybe British. Something tells me it isn't US issue, since I am unfamiliar with any US buttons that look like that (though I suppose there could be some badges, about which I know little). I wonder if the Canucks had a tank corps in WW1?

Definite Best Relic category contender, there! image

Take a scan of the back, too, and enter it!

PS- are those the heads of two beasties I see, below the tank?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Nice work!

<< <i>I wonder if the Canucks had a tank corps in WW1? >>

Not according to this.
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Thanks, guys, for the comments and GR's research.

<< <i>PS- are those the heads of two beasties I see, below the tank? >>

LM, they look like crocs or something I can't tell. By the way, the scans are below.

P.S. I've found two Canadian pieces from this lot. This cent here and a 10 cent silver piece awhile back.
  • Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I seem to have a problem with finding nickels. I find more trash than anything. Do you have a trick for distinguishing nickels from garbage? I use a garrett 1500. Thanks!
  • Options

<< <i>I seem to have a problem with finding nickels. I find more trash than anything. Do you have a trick for distinguishing nickels from garbage? I use a garrett 1500. Thanks! >>

I wish I could help with the 'tector. I use Minelab.

I usually cary a nickel in my pocket to do air test when I swing over a possible nickel target.
    This helps differentiate the nickel tone from target such as the pull tab or foil.
    If I pick up a nickel-like target that is deep (6 or so inches) I will dig.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    I think those might be dragons or some other form of stylized, mythical beastie.

I suppose I'll go with British as my guess on that tank corps badge. Very cool find.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Wow, some great finds there!
  • Options

<< <i>I think those might be dragons or some other form of stylized, mythical beastie. >>

I did a little "googling" and found out that during WWII the British and Canadians employed
    modified Churchill tanks with the flame torch on the side of the vehicle and I think they called
    them the "Crocodile" or something like that.

After you said that it was the picture of the tank then I realized, Yep, that is the tank all right.
    Looking from the side, you see, there is a nozzle of some kind.

I agree, if it is not Canadian, it has got to be British.

Thanks everyone for the comments and keep on digging.

P.S. It's in the low 20's and I'm not going out there image
  • Options

<< <i>After you said that it was the picture of the tank then I realized, Yep, that is the tank all right.
    Looking from the side, you see, there is a nozzle of some kind. >>

Nozzle, schmozzle. That's a cannon. And it is definitely a World War I tank. I believe the Churchill was a World War II tank.

• Options

<< <i>Nozzle, schmozzle. That's a cannon. And it is definitely a World War I tank >>

It would be great if it's a WWI pin. Here is the battlefiled piture of Canadian
    troops in 1917 with the tank looked similar to the one on the pin/badge.

• Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Great finds and an interesting button!
    I have a quite extensive encyclopedia on WW1 - will have a look if I can find a match for the tank in it.
    Your picture of the Canadian tank certainly looks very close.
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    HKnJ!
    Found it on google... thought it looked like a military uniform's collar disc and this is what I found.

Congrats on a very cool piece of WWI history!!! imageimage

RARE WWI Tank Corps Collar Brass: Great 2nd Pattern, W.W.I Era, Enlisted Man’s Collar Disk. The design depicts two opposing Dragons under a British designed Mark IV Tank in profile. This insignia is the typical 1” Diameter, with screwback post and nut, in a darkened bronze finish. There is a scratch to reverse side, and a small chip in the top finish below wreath on front. It has all the signs of being a period worn piece, with a nice look and feel. A Great example of a very tough disk! ($65)

http://www.wittworldwide.com/WWI%20Collar%20Insignia.htm

• Options
    Thanks, Riccar. That is great! Wonderful news indeed!

• Options
    Definitely a top relic for January...

Very cool find! image
  • Options
    and by the way- looking forward to seeing it in the January polls for best relic!
  • Options
    Ha! You rule, Riccar! WTG! image

See? Toldja so. World War One, baby!

• Options

<< <i>See? Toldja so. World War One, baby! >>

You right. You right. image Riccar did great job mining the background info on the piece. Thanks again.

And by the way, it will be entered in the best relics. It's my best relic find so far.

• Options
    Maybe, just maybe, I found something to compete with it today. And maybe it will be part of Round 1 in VTH3.

Or maybe not. Maybe I'm just blowin' smoke. image

• Options

<< <i>And by the way, it will be entered in the best relics. It's my best relic find so far. >>

I guess somebody better post the January nomination threads! image
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage