Home Metal Detecting
Options

Recent misc finds

ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

Some recent finds - I'll skip the storytelling this time and just show the stuff:

Silver coins

Finnish 50 penniä 1890

Copper/bronze coins

Finnish

This 1870 is a nice one and a somewhat tough date

Swedish - 5 Öre 1905

Russian - 1 Kopek 1908

Danish - 5 Öre 1907

Other finds

Button - Russian Imperial

Brooch with large yellow stone

New cache record: 51 coins in the same hole (40x 1 penni aluminum + 11x 1 penni copper).
Was at 1-2 inches with detector showing "overload" (of course). Many were stacked together, having apparently been rolled up.

Thanks for looking! Happy hunting!

-Z
Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro

Comments

• Options
    WoW..Cool find ;-)

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    51 coins in one hole? WOW!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Despite some rim crud and it not being as early as some of the others, that 1907 Danish 5 Öre reads high on my coolness meter, I suppose because I have never had one of that type.

What are the date ranges of the pennia in the 51-piece cache?

PS- save some sweet sites for VTH3- the whole forum will be watching and no doubt hoping you will find stuff like this during the competition!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Cool finds as always!
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    OmegaOmega Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭
    Very cool finds! My Swedish blood likes that 1905 5!
  • Options
    Makes you wonder the "who, when, why and what" of those coins in the cache.

Who did they belong to?

When did they bury them?

Why did they bury them?

What happened that they never dug them back up?

That's the stuff I love about this hobby! image
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies! image

<< <i> Despite some rim crud and it not being as early as some of the others, that 1907 Danish 5 Öre reads high on my coolness meter, I suppose because I have never had one of that type >>

I like it too. It's the only one I've dug. I found these international coins in the same area. Also a US coin was found there, a 1946 wheat cent. I'm now up to two wheaties found in Finland, maybe I find a US silver coin here one day...

<< <i>What are the date ranges of the pennia in the 51-piece cache? >>

They're mixed dates, and many can't be read. They range from 1963 (coppers) to at least 1977 (aluminum). They represent the lousiest, most rotten type of coins I could possibly find - oh how I wish that this cache would have been old stuff.. (I found the Swedish 1749 coin in this same area...)

<< <i>PS- save some sweet sites for VTH3- the whole forum will be watching and no doubt hoping you will find stuff like this during the competition! >>

Yes Sir! image

<< <i>Very cool finds! My Swedish blood likes that 1905 5! >>

Thanks! It's a nice and large coin, about the size of a US half dollar.

<< <i> Makes you wonder the "who, when, why and what" of those coins in the cache >>

I agree! But.. in this case, I don't think the truth is very exciting. These are very low value, modern coins. If you can believe it, their face value is approx 0.2 US cents (one fifth of a cent!), so in the 60's/70's they were already the smallest denomination (which was abandoned shortly thereafter, making 5 penniä the smallest denomination) and were almost worthless. I think the most likely explanation is that someone with a business has walked here with rolls from the bank, and accidentally dropped one roll here.. (or maybe even noticed it, but not bothered to pick it up image )
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Great start for 07 Zot!!
  • Options
    That is a great start. image