Home Metal Detecting
Options

Jan. 2nd, 2007 =silver and oldies. Doing my share of winter posting...

Per a conversation with the mighty Phut, I have been given the task to hunt and
post more during the winter months... however, from looking at some of the other
posts, it doesn't appear that will be necessary! image

OK, so my first silver of the year (mentioned in PPC's post) came on Jan. 2nd =
a 1905-S Barber dime. Also had a "1919" theme with the other coins that day...
2 wheatbacks and a buffalo nickel (all minted in 1919). Yes, we are spoiled with
"detecting friendly" weather out here on the west coast during the winter months.

Here's the group shot from the outing after some light rinsing:

Part of an oil lamp (late 1800's?):

A "pledge pin"? (with silver Sigma) Anyone have info on this sort of item?

Bullet and buckle (buckle appears to be mid-to-late 1800's?)

Smashed 3-ring bullet:

1919-S Buffalo nickel:

1905-S Dime (pretty slick but I like it):

That's all for now. I have had a great 1st week of the year... 2 more trips after
this one and both produced silver.

More to come... image

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, folks, Rick's outta the gate with a strong start for 2007! image

Those old oil lamps often have a patent date on the knob. I see some lettering on yours, but can't quite make it out in the picture. Maybe just the manufacturer's name? Check the backside of the knob, too. Most that I have found were dated were in the 1880s.
    (Edit- is it Scovill? That would figure. They were the 800-pound gorilla of US button manufacturers, of course, and coins for foreign governments, and lots of stuff. Didn't know they did lamps too but it doesn't surprise me. They're still around today.)

PS- you suck, for finding an early mintmarked Buff. So far ANY mintmarked Buffalo has oddly eluded me- I have dug over a dozen and they were all Phillies. Of course, you're in a better area for S-mint stuff, which is nice when it comes to some of the early 20th century. I suppose it works out- I am in a good area for O-mint stuff (though all my New Orleans coins so far have been Barbers), and theoretically, I am in a better geographical area for D-(as in Dahlonega) and C-mint coins. That would be somethin'. It's somethin' I dream about when I'm on these old plantation sites!

I too have had ideal, perfect detecting weather since October but have not taken advantage of it. Knowing me, by the time I get my overfed carcass outdoors and swing the coil, the spring insects and steamy humidity will have returned.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, and in terms of keeping the forum fires burning through the winter, there is something else to consider: VTH3.

You may recall, the idea behind the original Virtual Treasure Hunt was to give the frozen or snowed-in folk some vicarious detecting enjoyment. I think VTH1 was a sound success. VTH2, which took place in the summer of '05, was bigger but not necessarily better. I think it was a neat idea that we gave away a metal detector, but it was kind of a bummer that we gave it to someone who took it and then vanished into thin air.

I asked John if he was ready for VTH3 in February, when the original VTH1 was, but I think he was not quite ready for it. However, if some of y'all on the forums are, we can do it, with or without John and I. Like the forum awards, we've been sort of the quasi-official moderators but it doesn't mean we have to be. If somebody wants to launch VTH3, I will be a happy spectator or even a participant willing to dig a round or two. We could have somebody who was one of the past moderators/judges for the Virtual Treasure Hunt(s) in on this one- I am willing.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Nice finds Rick!!
    The buckle is sweet and complete. Very few come out of the ground like that.
    I'm still waiting on winter.
  • Options
    nice finds dude!....hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Great job Rick!

The buckle is a real beaut!
    Probably the nicest one I've seen out of the ground. (not that I've seen many. :Funnyimage

I'm staring at the thermometer with a reading of 62 degrees! Unfortunately it's raining. image

I hope to be back out after the rain.

HH
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Nice finds Rick!
    Good grief - you really are off to a flying start in the silver department.
    The buckle is very nicely preserved - a great find!
    The Sigma pin is interesting. Don't know anything about such a thing, unfortunately.

Goldrush: There is no such thing as bad weather - only improper clothing image
    Here it's been raining almost daily for three weeks or so. White's detectors can stand wet weather pretty well imageimage (although I'll no doubt destroy it one day - I'm getting much too relaxed about protecting the control box from rain)

-Z
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    Great job!
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    OmegaOmega Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭
    Great finds. Love the 19-S Buff.