Options
Assessment of these 2 morgans?
I'd like to get opinions on the following for each coin:
1. Technical grade accuracy
2. Aesthetics
There are things I like about both coins, and things I dislike, so I'm sorta hemming and hawing on keeping them.
Thanks!
Coin A. 1891-S. SEGS MS63. As I'm not a Morgan expert, what looks to me like wear (and thus potentially an overgraded coin) may be strike. Love the coloring though.


Coin B. 1888. NGC MS65. Coin seems ok on the technical merits, but the "smear" on the reverse bugs me a bit. Like the purple toning.

1. Technical grade accuracy
2. Aesthetics
There are things I like about both coins, and things I dislike, so I'm sorta hemming and hawing on keeping them.
Thanks!
Coin A. 1891-S. SEGS MS63. As I'm not a Morgan expert, what looks to me like wear (and thus potentially an overgraded coin) may be strike. Love the coloring though.


Coin B. 1888. NGC MS65. Coin seems ok on the technical merits, but the "smear" on the reverse bugs me a bit. Like the purple toning.

0
Comments
Coin #2 looks ok
The first coin, the 1891 S, has that gray look of an AU coin to me. I see it some in the fields and also the device on the obverse where I think the luster has been broken or rubbed. It has the look of a coin that was put away uncirculated but was mishandled over the years. To me it looks like a AU58.
The 1888 is a nice coin, except I'm a little leery of that "washed look" (I think you called it smear) on the reverse. It has few but noticeable bag marks right on Ms. Liberty's face which would keep it out of the MS65 class for me. Guess what I'm really saying is it might well be a 65, but I'd want to buy it for 64 money. It is a pretty looking coin and your image is quite nice.
Best wishes,
Pete
Louis Armstrong
<< <i>Coin #1 is a cleaned AU
Coin #2 looks ok >>
How do you figure coin one is cleaned? Dipped and retoned maybe, but not cleaned.
The second one I would grade ms64. The toning on the reverse does not bother me. It looks like it may be darker on the reverse.
It should be a pleasing coin.
I think the strike weakness on #2 would have limited the grade to a 64 but it is cleaner than a 64...a lower end 65 because of the weakness. Possibly dipped and an incomplete rinse accounts for the streaking? That aside it is a very nice coin.
K
The second one is more difficult to grade on the images. I'd guess it is in a 64 or 65 holder.
NSDR - Life Member
SSDC - Life Member
ANA - Pay As I Go Member