Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Has GAI gone Bellyup?

I tried to access their web and it's not there.

Anyone know anything about it?

mike
Mike

Comments

• Options
    Their server must be overloaded.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    I think the grader called in sick and they had to shut the site down for the day
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't really think they went out of biz.

Afterall, they are a great company with outstanding customer service with attention to detail that is unparalelled in the industry.

Mike
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i>Their server must be overloaded. >>

edited to add: Why, because someone went there?
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Isnt sending your cards to them almost the same as addressing them;

c/o The Bermuda Triangle image
  • Options

<< <i>Isnt sending your cards to them almost the same as addressing them;

c/o The Bermuda Triangle image >>

I don't want to start a GAI flamer Matt.

I like Mike Baker.

But I have to say - from many reports - I think that's where a whole bunch of packs wound up?

Mike
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

They're fine Stone.

They simply changed servers over the holidays.

new GAI linky

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options

<< <i>They're fine Stone.

They simply changed servers over the holidays.

new GAI linky >>

Mike
  • Options
    I thought that "somebody set us up the bomb."

Looks like I was right.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭

What does "all your base are belong to us" mean?
  • Options
    Nothing really. It was just one of the first Flash vids to become an internet phenomenon.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options

<< <i>What does "all your base are belong to us" mean? >>

First of all I want to salute Wolfie - I've dropped that web on people so many times, it's only fitting I got
    bombed!

I think it was bad English translation of a Video Game from Japan.

The whole thing took on a life of its own for a while on the internet.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    is ryan reutter (sp?) still working w/ gai?

julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    They moved offices over the holiday and plan to reopen later in the week.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    They moved offices over the holiday and plan to reopen later in the week.

as a new tailor? I hear they do excellent jobs on alterations.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Yes, they're teaming up with SGC to offer alteration specials from coast to coast.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    1960toppsguy1960toppsguy Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    They switched servers, there current server allows more than 2 hits per day without bogging up, the previous server would only allow one person per day to access the site. I'm glad they did that, it should change the hobby forever.image
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    So they have their own server on-site, and it's down because they are physically moving locations? Wow, that's even more "Mickey Mouse" than I would have thought! I didn't think anyone actually hosted their own website "on-location" anymore, but insted had them at hosting facilities (server farms). When you move locations, you should be announcing that information on your website so that you don't cause your customers to worry.
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options

<< <i>They moved offices over the holiday and plan to reopen later in the week.

as a new tailor? I hear they do excellent jobs on alterations. >>

Mike
  • Options

<< <i>So they have their own server on-site, and it's down because they are physically moving locations? Wow, that's even more "Mickey Mouse" than I would have thought! I didn't think anyone actually hosted their own website "on-location" anymore, but insted had them at hosting facilities (server farms). When you move locations, you should be announcing that information on your website so that you don't cause your customers to worry. >>

Outstanding point.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    "alterations" huh?

julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    GAI still seems to do pretty well at all the shows.
  • Options
    gstarlinggstarling Posts: 463 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>So they have their own server on-site, and it's down because they are physically moving locations? Wow, that's even more "Mickey Mouse" than I would have thought! I didn't think anyone actually hosted their own website "on-location" anymore, but insted had them at hosting facilities (server farms). When you move locations, you should be announcing that information on your website so that you don't cause your customers to worry. >>

Outstanding point.

mike >>

most large companies host their own servers. Most also have a hot site in case of disaster, but even a 10 or 20 million dollar company will likely be hosting their own website.
    Currently Buying:
    2004 Tommie Harris SPX Printing Plate (White Whale will pay top $$$)
    1994 SP Football Die Cuts PSA 10s
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    I've seen many different sized companies hosting their own site, but still not having them up and available during an office closure just makes you look unprofessional at best, incompetent at worst.

<< <i>

<< <i>

Outstanding point.

mike >>

most large companies host their own servers. Most also have a hot site in case of disaster, but even a 10 or 20 million dollar company will likely be hosting their own website. >>

Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    GAI is moving - that's a fact.

Not having a comprehensive "transitional" plan implemented is a bad business decision IMO.

When my friend moved from one office to another - he had his phones and computers transferred to my office and used it as a base of operation while his was being completed.

Minimum: keep your web up and phones open - I understand that's all ya get is an answering machine.

Now, granted, there's no such thing as a "grading emergency" - but that's irrelevant - the customer is always right and doesn't like to feel neglected or abandoned - not even for a day if you know what I mean.

These are really great guys over at GAI - I just think this was handled badly - from the evidence I'm being presented with.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    LMAO

I haven't heard "All your base are belong to us" for a long time! Very funny.

Scott
    My sets:
    1977 Topps Star Wars - "Space Swashbucklers"
  • Options
    GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭
    Hey guys, quick question about GAI, is the company good at grading or what. I only buy PSA and Beckett but I see a nice GAI 8 1957 card I like but don't want to pay big for something thats trimmed or altered and slabbed with a 8 from GAI. Anyone buy GAI cards? I hope GAI isn't like GEM ELITE lol.
  • Options

<< <i>Hey guys, quick question about GAI, is the company good at grading or what. I only buy PSA and Beckett but I see a nice GAI 8 1957 card I like but don't want to pay big for something thats trimmed or altered and slabbed with a 8 from GAI. Anyone buy GAI cards? I hope GAI isn't like GEM ELITE lol. >>

You may get any array of answers but my take is that they have good graders.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I'v heard grading packs and boxes there good but cards I get mixed opinions.
  • Options
    yeah they are great (enter sarcasm here) I bought two BOXES of 1975 topps mini GAI 8 and all 72 packs where resealed.
  • Options
    Wow thats said. I prob won't get the 1957 card i want, it looks nice but I rather stick with PSA or beckett.
  • Options

<< <i>yeah they are great (enter sarcasm here) I bought two BOXES of 1975 topps mini GAI 8 and all 72 packs where resealed. >>

And you know this how?
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << yeah they are great (enter sarcasm here) I bought two BOXES of 1975 topps mini GAI 8 and all 72 packs where resealed. >>

And you know this how?

A resealed box is rather evident if you begin opening the packs. All the so-called grocery cellos they authenticated from the early 70s are totally bogus too.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.