Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

An absolute rip of an 1955/1955...c/o Goose3

shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
I've seen a lot of examples of this variety, and they almost always look lower than the grade.
1955/1955 DDO's are usually graded on a scale, conditionally challenged, heavily spotted.

Are any of us who know him surprised that Goose3 found a gem of a PCGS MS64RB?
He gave me the privilage of imaging this coin.

Comments

• Options
    That is very nice.
    David
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a killer trade in for an 1822 dime image
  • Options
    lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720
    Beautiful example.

Ray
  • Options
    Thats a nice looking coin!
  • Options
    I like the coin in a 64 RB holder. Very pretty
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Wow! A Goose moose-I like it------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Exquisite! image
  • Options
    Looks like it should be MS64BN not RB. Nice coin though.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like it should be MS64BN not RB. Nice coin though. >>

From PCGS Lingo:

Red-Brown
    A copper coin that has from 5 to 95 percent of its original mint color remaining (RB).

It's probably close, but it looks that coin qualifies for 5%.

• Options
    Looks like it should be MS64BN not RB. Nice coin though.

Dicky - this is why I image coins for free. I refuse to tweek them up to look better than I can image them.
    But there is always an understanding between me and the owner of the coin that the image will look worse than the actual coin image

Looks much more lustrous and RD in person.
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So was this a cherrypick? If so let's hear the story man image
  • Options
    BurksBurks Posts: 1,103
    Excellent coin!
    WTB: Eric Plunk cards, jersey (signed or unsigned), and autographs. Basically anything related to him

Positive BST: WhiteThunder (x2), Ajaan, onefasttalon, mirabela, Wizard1, cucamongacoin, mccardguy1

Negative BST: NONE!
  • Options
    Ok. Ill take your word for it. Its a nice coin nonetheless.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are those greenish spots on the L, the back of the collar, and in the middle of the jaw area?
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Killer coin.....image
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Modern Crap!image

Nice coin Goose!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    DenissH - those are fairly well hidden spots/vertigree that kept this coin at 64 in PCGS's eyes.

Take a look at other PCGS 64 and 65 examples of this date.

$40,000 will buy you this coin.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Hard to imagine a "rip" in a PCGS slab already identified as a DDO. Details, man!
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    Is this the same coin currently being offered on the BST?
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    tough crowd and some of you wonder why the fighting and bs all of the time.

Paul was unaware of what I am doing with the coin. He simply took the photos and is showing off his photos.

I have removed any mention of it.

• Options
    Hard to imagine a "rip" in a PCGS slab already identified as a DDO. Details, man!

Some details.

1955/1955's are a conditionally challenged, spot ridden coin that is never found pristine and almost never found nice.

Take for example this PCGS MS65RD.

Do you see any spots? It sold for $42,500 in Heritage's July 2005 Sig Sale.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is a PCGS 64 Brown for comparison
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    Never mind, I now know what TWOCK was referring to. Geez, TWOCK, its not even on the CU BST -- unless you are the one who sold goose the scratched dime, what's your problem?
  • Options
    Damn, that is a beautiful coin ... it is on my "must have" short list for my key date set.
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    63/64BN if cracked out
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    Sweet. Wish I had one. Maybe one day.
  • Options

<< <i>63/64BN if cracked out >>

He just made that coin.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw goose's coin along with Wayne Herndon in the raw in Baltimore and felt that it was borderline MS-63BN or a MS-63RB.

I even stated to goose that I thought if PCGS decided to raise the grade then they would probably do an MS-64BN rather than a MS-64RB.

PCGS seems to weigh both the 63RB and 64BN grades almost equally. It is a different story between RD and RB. You almost need a skip of TWO grades between the RD and RB's!

On that given day goose3 did well!

He deserves it!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    Well then, I'll edit mine too - I saw the BST post and thought it suspicious, but not knowing if any "history" existed there, kept my mouth shut.

• Options
    Oreville - Let me defer to your great 1955/1955 post on the forum.

The ex-PCGS65RD now NGC66RD is one of the classic cases of market grading ever exposed on the forum.
    I followed that coin for years here (link) and (link)

These coins are graded differently than other Lincolns. So when accessing them you have to compare them other 1955/1955's.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Its a beauty and another great photo.

And TWQG, always so wonderful to read your ever so positive comments. You are so predictable. image
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YUP, THATS THE REAL DEAL, NICE....image
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭

<< <i>And TWQG, always so wonderful to read your ever so positive comments. You are so predictable. >>

-Bite me twit!
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Now that's a double die! Not like these things you need a 10x loupe to see it.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options

odd, I submitted it Raw at the last Baltimore show.

On a final note to this thread, congrats to those of you that finally put the straw on the camels back that broke it and ran Shylock off. Keep it up, they'll be about 10 of you sitting around talking to yourselves about how great you and your coins are.

• Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin Goose!

And nice images Shylock!

Doug
  • Options
    Very nice!
    Friends are Gods way of apologizing for your relatives.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shylock posted today, in this thread even, and I didn't see where he said he was leaving.....did I miss a thread/post?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>

odd, I submitted it Raw at the last Baltimore show.

>>

Sorry, goose, I tried. image
  • Options
    Its nice for the grade but I agree with the grade.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ttt
    because I don't have any copper to post this weekend but I LOVE copper. image
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    One members sees coin in hand "Borderline 63 BN or 63RB" no mention of the issues with spots/ vertagree. PCGS comes back with a 64 RB. Probably get a football also.

To me this is the problem, coin looks 63 and even some that saw in hand said 63 with issues. PCGS price guide goes from 5850 in 64RB to 3250 in 63BN. Quite a swing, could toss in a BB for altered surface/damage on a bad day. Same coin could go from 5850 to 3250 to a BB. This limits new players wanting to enter the hobby. I can see a new collector buy this and 3 weeks later change there mind and offer the coin at a show. The offers would be brutal. It is not a bad coin at the right price. Goose3 probably bought it right. From here out buyer beware.

I feel the majority of my coins are solid for the grade, a few upgrades, possibly a down grade or 2 but there is no way i would crack them all and send in over 100 old proofs to "roll the dice" If they could even get it right 95 out of 100 times i would have more faith in the system. But it is still the only system and we are at there mercy on any given day. imageimage
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    heres mine, 64RB

• Options

<< <i>One members sees coin in hand "Borderline 63 BN or 63RB" no mention of the issues with spots/ vertagree. PCGS comes back with a 64 RB. Probably get a football also.

To me this is the problem, coin looks 63 and even some that saw in hand said 63 with issues. PCGS price guide goes from 5850 in 64RB to 3250 in 63BN. Quite a swing, could toss in a BB for altered surface/damage on a bad day. Same coin could go from 5850 to 3250 to a BB. This limits new players wanting to enter the hobby. I can see a new collector buy this and 3 weeks later change there mind and offer the coin at a show. The offers would be brutal. It is not a bad coin at the right price. Goose3 probably bought it right. From here out buyer beware >>

What the hell are you talking about? You give no specifics as to why you think the coin is 63 or a BB.

That coins is NOT a 63, has enough red to qualify for RB. The person who imaged the coin is an expert in copper.
  • Options
    image Clearly an expert grader of images.
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,131 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This one is in an old green PCI holder. They gave it 63RB.
    Larry

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Earned a 62BN from PCGS. I've considered a crack out but it scares me.
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    I like this last one for eye appeal.
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Goose great coin man. Good to see you again. Hope all is well with you and family.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file