Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New Year's Day Lot Viewing in FLA

We didn't have the large obsessed crowd I thought we'd have - just a few of us showed up, tooling through boxes pretty much with no waiting at all.

I did find it especially interesting that Heritage has set up a dedicated 'Platuinum Night' viewing section behind an airport-style line divider with a guard.

I presume that was for insurance reasons, though perhaps it was marketing - extending the 'Platinum Night' exclusivity to viewing.

Comments

  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    after many reports last year of "security problems" associated with the FUN show, I am glad people are taking extra precautions. I hope dealers and collectors consider the crimes of last year when planning for this year.
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭


    << <i>We didn't have the large obsessed crowd I thought we'd have - just a few of us showed up, tooling through boxes pretty much with no waiting at all.

    I did find it especially interesting that Heritage has set up a dedicated 'Platuinum Night' viewing section behind an airport-style line divider with a guard.

    I presume that was for insurance reasons, though perhaps it was marketing - extending the 'Platinum Night' exclusivity to viewing. >>




    Thanks for the info. What was the lot viewing like at Stack's for the 1913 nickel? Could any Tom, Dick, or Harry fondle the coin?
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139 ✭


    << <i>after many reports last year of "security problems" associated with the FUN show, I am glad people are taking extra precautions. I hope dealers and collectors consider the crimes of last year when planning for this year. >>



    What crimes? I don't recall any or reports of any at lot viewing. It would be assumed that the viewing tables are 100% videotaped for detailed review in case any slight of hand switches or similar shenanigans occur. Noone gets a box to look through without being a properly registered bidder with a record of what they viewed anyway.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,532 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>after many reports last year of "security problems" associated with the FUN show, I am glad people are taking extra precautions. I hope dealers and collectors consider the crimes of last year when planning for this year. >>



    What crimes? I don't recall any or reports of any at lot viewing. It would be assumed that the viewing tables are 100% videotaped for detailed review in case any slight of hand switches or similar shenanigans occur. Noone gets a box to look through without being a properly registered bidder with a record of what they viewed anyway. >>



    never said there were crimes associated with lot viewing -- just with the FUN show. Prudent people take precautions when they operate in areas known for brazen criminals.
  • Options


    << <i>

    << <i>after many reports last year of "security problems" associated with the FUN show, I am glad people are taking extra precautions. I hope dealers and collectors consider the crimes of last year when planning for this year. >>



    What crimes? I don't recall any or reports of any at lot viewing. It would be assumed that the viewing tables are 100% videotaped for detailed review in case any slight of hand switches or similar shenanigans occur. Noone gets a box to look through without being a properly registered bidder with a record of what they viewed anyway. >>




    The crimes last year were after dealers and collectors left the show for home. I'm pretty sure that certain dealers were cased on the
    brouse floor to be hit after they left the show. If I remember right there were half a dozen or more dealers that had their coins
    stolen after leaving the show, most of them when they stopped to eat somewhere and left the coins in their vehicle.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    just did some Lot viewing in Northeast Ohio, most everything i'm watching is already past reasonable prices for me...............a few Two-Cent Pieces, some Jefferson Nickels, a couple of Gold pieces. some Fuechtwangers are the only Lots not bid high, but they'll probably get some lively action on the floor. looks to me like everything is OK, no sagging like many would hope to see.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file