Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

12 inch mirrors?

I find it hard to believe, even though he says so.

84-cc 66dmpl

84-cc 66dmpl-2

Opinions?

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure that ANACS had a UDM designation that's a step above DMPL. If that's the case, then 12" mirrors should have garnered it.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    But right now they are both WAY below MS66DMPL greysheet price. Get one to cross and CHA-CHING!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    Russ: Agreed, I had emailed him earlier today and he says they are, but ANACS says they're not. Go Figure. Not even close to B/W mirrors.

Marty: It almost seems like they'd have a hard time crossing at DMPL anywhere else.
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    They dont even look dmpl from the pics. There's no way to accurately judge PL/DMPL from images... but the images usually show darker fields as the mirrors deepen. (on a straight on pic)

David
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    Chances are slim to none PCGS will cross them & Slim just left the building.
  • Options
    FletcherFletcher Posts: 3,294
    Looks like too many hits on the cheek as well ... I say that it crosses 65PL @ PCGS or 66PL if you send it to NGC.
  • Options
    What does "12 inch mirror" mean in this context?
    Anyone can make a difference, but most people probably shouldn't. -- Marge Simpson
  • Options
    fastrudyfastrudy Posts: 2,096
    If you hold a ruler up to the surface perpendicularly, the field will show a clear image to the 12" mark on the mirror.
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • Options
    dizzleccdizzlecc Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭
    I agree with the group. I don't see the contrast in the fields and would have a hard time accepting the 12" description.

• Options
    NumismanicNumismanic Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What does "12 inch mirror" mean in this context? >>

You can read the print from a newspaper 12" away.
  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭
    Not.
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178
    unless you can see the mirrors in person your best bet is to buy PCGS DMPL's.
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would not be so quick to doubt.

For what it's worth, not every coin with 12" reflectivity has got the classic black & white look. I have on my desk at this very minute an otherwise quite ordinary looking BU 81-O, not a black & white cameo thing by a long, long shot, but a nice PL -- and upon reading this thread, I got out the tape measure. Lo and behold, at 12" I can read the mark and the number, easy-peasy.

I would imagine, from the pic and the designation, that the same is true of this 84-CC. What does that mean PCGS would think of it? Who knows.

Those DMPL's I've seen (admittedly, not that many) in the old ANACS Ultra- or Cameo- designated slabs tend to be really superb coins, substantially PQ in respect to their general-DMPL brethren of equal grade in anybody's slab.

I won't be bidding on this 84-CC, but given that he's got the return policy & all, if this were a thing I were interested in, I would not be so quick to dismiss it. It looks like potentially a very nice coin to me.
    mirabela
  • Options
    HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anacs would have put UDM on the holder if they saw that the 84-CC Morgan had 12 inch mirrors. Also, Anacs is good at giving out the cameo designation when they see that it is appropriate.

Here is my one and only B and W UDM that is showing 12 inch clear mirrors. I am able to read the print in a newspaper from over a foot away.

imageimage
  • Options
    Very nice piece Brian, and well put.

I just have a hard time seeing 12+ mirrors in either of the coins listed.
  • Options
    tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭✭
    HighRelief very nice coin!image
  • Options

<< <i>What does "12 inch mirror" mean in this context? >>

Here is what I do when I am trying to describe depth....you can't really get a good shot for a 12in but this will do...

You can actually read the sn and grade in the coin.
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file