Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Shipping to Canada, Help Please!

Against by ebay guidelines, someone from canada purchased a coin. How much does shipping cost, what about customs, insurance? I need all the help I can get because this is a first. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you located in the United States?

If so,

If it is a not expensive single coin just mail it US Postal Service "Air Letter Post", no customs form required if under 4 ounces.

If expensive enough send it registered mail.

I have mailed coins all over the world, my last was to Vietnam without a customs form.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't recall that you can insure a package to Canada through the USPS, so this is something you will have to check on if you decide to accept the bid.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    Weather11amWeather11am Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭
    It is a $30 roll of sacagaweas, over 4 ounces. What about customs? Is that my job?
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭
    Try this link: USPS to Canada

The links there should answer all you ?'s.

BTW - send it registered. It's the safest method, IMHO.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options

<< <i>It is a $30 roll of sacagaweas, over 4 ounces. What about customs? Is that my job? >>

It takes less than a minute to fill out the form.
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    Ive had alot of success:
    a) Informing an international bidder they didn't adhere to the shipping guidelines (Im domestic only)
    b) Giving them the option to pay for increased shipping via USPS global (only the shipping)
    c) typically I charge 'em like $25 for the shipping, and refund any overage via a ppal refund.

If the buyer refuses the extra shipping, I dont sell them the item, and relist it.

This way, you dont have to worry about predicting a charge, you just pick the carrier and ship. item is sold, buyer is happy because they get a refund, and Im happy because I didn't get stung trying to guess international shipping.

as of Canada, cakewalk, ships just like the US in most cases..
  • Options
    wayneherndonwayneherndon Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭
    It is very easy to calculate international shipping using the Post Office's website. For countries with Global Priority Mail (most of them), you can ship up to 4 pounds for $5.25 ($4.25 to Canada and Mexico). This makes it cheaper than domestic shipping in many cases. You do need to fill out the customs form but that is a quick process and doesn't cost you anything. If customs fees are due the recipient will have to pay it to pick up the package. The form asks you to describe contents. I usually try to avoid putting "coins" or the like on the outside of a package. So I use "numismatics" or "medallions" or "collectibles" or something of that nature.

Thanks,

WH
  • Options
    I've sold items to all parts of the world and realised much more for the items than if I had limited bidding to the US only. I'll gladly take the few extra minutes anytime to make more bucks.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file