Home Sports Talk
Options

Will the Bears be the worst 13-3 team ever?

After they lose tonight, can you consider the Bears one of the worst 13-3 teams in recent memory? They look terrible right now...

Comments

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    They sucked a few years ago as well and had a similiar record.
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>They sucked a few years ago as well and had a similiar record. >>

The year they got bounced by the Eagles, correct?
  • Options
    I dont remember.I just remember a team with a record way better than the actual team. Very similiar to this years version.
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    I loathe the 49ers and these Bears couldn't hold a candle to the past 49er teams to post similar records.
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In 2001 they were also 13-3 and lost to Philly 33-19 in the playoffs. They haven't won a playoff game in over 10 years, since 1995 under Wannstedt.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    I would love to see the Eagles go into Chicago.

Jim Johnson would take care of the most "complete" team ever image
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Their QBs sucked big time tonight. Hell, the Giants could beat them.
  • Options
    If nothing else, Bears fans should realize that Griese is no upgrade at the QB position.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    It's like having a nice car and no one to drive it!
    Anybody who thinks they are going to win the Super Bowl needs to have their head examined.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chicago Bears: Worst 13 - 3 team in NFL history. Guaranteed they won't get to the Super Bowl.

Look for the Eagles to be in the Super Bowl. They beat an NFL team today playing mainly only their second string - amazing how good the Eagles are right now.
  • Options

<< <i>Chicago Bears: Worst 13 - 3 team in NFL history. Guaranteed they won't get to the Super Bowl.

Look for the Eagles to be in the Super Bowl. They beat an NFL team today playing mainly only their second string - amazing how good the Eagles are right now. >>

They beat the Falcons at home with Matt Shaub (sp) at qb. Hardly an accomplishment.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Chicago Bears: Worst 13 - 3 team in NFL history. Guaranteed they won't get to the Super Bowl.

Look for the Eagles to be in the Super Bowl. They beat an NFL team today playing mainly only their second string - amazing how good the Eagles are right now. >>

They beat the Falcons at home with Matt Shaub (sp) at qb. Hardly an accomplishment. >>

Arguably that second string quarterback might be better for the Falcons than Vick. The other Falcons players were the first string.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone's a critic...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    As a Bears fan, I have to say that the team has been pumped up without justification. All the talk earlier in the season was about how this team was better than the 1985 team. I kept saying, "Yeah right!!".

The defense has been horrible in the last four games, and the QB has been inconsistent. He is also one arrogant bastiard who needs to be put in his place.

But then again, the Bears are still the favorite in a laughable NFC. The Saints are the only real threat.

Cowgirls? Overrated and stinky.

Philly? Coming on strong, but too many holes and have to do it on the road

NO - Good team

Seattle - Where have they been all season?

I could mention the others, but it is no use. Whoever represents the NFC will be a first loser.

It may be beneficial for the Bears to lose early on since this is one of the most arrogant (least deserving at that) teams in recent memories. They tend to think that their you know what doesn't stink.

Of course, I hope I'm wrong, but this isn't like the MLB and a best of seven series.

Also love the Philly fans - the worst schizos in sports. One moment they hate, the next they love. No wonder the losers have never won the big one.

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    It certainly appears they are headed out early unless a miracle happens. Folks who have followed them this year and have some football insights aren't surprised. But of course no one is smarter than an eagle fan at least in their own minds. Harris and Brown two all pros are gone and this team is easy to run on. Since Brown went out they have given up 50 more yards a game running. Both starting corners have been injured off and on all season as well as Brown's backups.

The coaching staff can be blamed too, it was ok to play punch and judy with the offense before they lost those players. There is absolutely no imagination on offense and its too bad because they have some talent at running back and the receiving corp. Time will tell but this team should be a good one for the couple of years. Unfortunately they are done for this year.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Okay, the Bears may "stink" - but let's face it, the entire NFC stinks. Look at the playoff teams from the NFC - can anyone believe the Giants are a playoff team? The Eagles and Cowboys are just trying to stink a little less than their opponent that week (with mixed results) and Seattle is basically limping into the post-season. That leaves the Bears, and the Saints, as your top two NFC teams. I think the Bears can beat anyone as long as the offense shows up, and the Saints have a much better team than anyone gives them credit for. But, if any team other than the Bears and Saints backs into the Super Bowl "Cardinals-style", it's going to be another lop-sided boring contest.

The Chargers, Patriots, Ravens, Colts, (even the Jets!) are far superior teams at this point to just about all the NFC teams.
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    i think lovie was using reverse physco on his team. he told them the playoff started with the packer game. that might be good as they have lost the first game in the the playoffs that last two times with this core team.

but i think their defense is suffering from the loss of Harris. Urlacher alone cant control another team. Add to that the loss of Brown and they are down to only one playmaker on defense, which makes them like many other defenses around the league.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Bears are 13-3 and they have critics...

Yes the Packers embarrassed them on National television. Keep in mind this is the oldest rivalry in the NFL and the Bears have won afew against Green Bay as significant underdogs as well.

The Bears are having a great season regardless of how it ends.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭
    The Bears will win their first round game. Seattle and the Eagles could give the Bears trouble, but The Giants and Cowboys stink. So if either the Cowboys or Giants win their game this weekend, then the Bears will play either of them and have a walk into the NFC Championship game.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    I'll go out on a limb here and say the Bears will represent the NFC in the Superbowl. The NFC has half the talent of the AFC and there's no reason that good defense can't get there by themselves. If Trent Dilfer won a Superbowl, then whoever QB's this years Bears can too.

Maybe I'll eat these words, but that's my prediction.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    One of the reasons the Bears are where they are is because they played in the NFC North. That can't be discounted. You put them in a decent division and they're 10-6.

I'm still amazed that Lovie Smith continues to start his second best quarterback. The fact that Grossman is a hack, coupled with the fact that a bunch of Bears defenders are injured, does not bode well for their prospects this January.
  • Options

<< <i>I'll go out on a limb here and say the Bears will represent the NFC in the Superbowl. The NFC has half the talent of the AFC and there's no reason that good defense can't get there by themselves. If Trent Dilfer won a Superbowl, then whoever QB's this years Bears can too.

Maybe I'll eat these words, but that's my prediction. >>

The Ravens 2000 defense was significantly better than the Bears 2006 defense, and Trent Dilfer was better than Rex Grossman. True, the NFC is terrible, but I don't think it's anything close to a guarantee that the Bears will play in February. They're currently +135 to come out of the NFC on Pinnacle, which makes them a dog against the field.
  • Options
    They're currently +135 to come out of the NFC on Pinnacle, which makes them a dog against the field.

+135 is probably still the shortest odds, though, of any other NFC team. Grossman is mediocre at best but Griese is no better. Bears fans should hope for arctic conditions, that will help.

• Options
    Here are the current odds for NFC champion...

Chicago Bears 6-5
    Dallas Cowboys 8-1
    New Orleans Saints 5-2
    New York Giants 15-1
    Philadelphia Eagles 4-1
    Seattle Seahawks 7-1
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options

<< <i>Here are the current odds for NFC champion...

Chicago Bears 6-5
    Dallas Cowboys 8-1
    New Orleans Saints 5-2
    New York Giants 15-1
    Philadelphia Eagles 4-1
    Seattle Seahawks 7-1 >>

FWIW Pinnacle's odds are sharper than anyone elses, so if Pinny has Chi at +135 and someone else has them at 6:5 (or +120, if you prefer), then the +135 is likely closer to the mark.

Also, +135 does make them the team with the shortest odds, but like I said in my other post they're still a dog to the field to emerge from the NFC. +135 gives them roughly a 43% chance of winning the conference. And lastly, Brian Griese is a better QB than Rex Grossman.

• Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    if griese is so good then why didnt he get a contract this past off season to be a starter or why did the team that we was playing for not try to keep him??
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options

<< <i>if griese is so good then why didnt he get a contract this past off season to be a starter or why did the team that we was playing for not try to keep him?? >>

Reread the other posts on this discussion. The question is not 'whether or not Griese is so good'. It's whether or not he's better than Rex Grossman.
  • Options
    It's whether or not he's better than Rex Grossman.

Which he isn't.

Do you really think Chicago would have him riding the bench if he gave them a better chance to win? They've even tried putting him in to help facilitate a QB switch, but Griese is so mediocre he can't even generate a QB controversy in the coach's eyes.

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If Lovie doesn't see the necessity of running the ball 75% of the time in the playoffs, given weak QB's and 3 above average RB's, the Bears won't win their home game.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options

<< <i>I'll go out on a limb here and say the Bears will represent the NFC in the Superbowl. The NFC has half the talent of the AFC and there's no reason that good defense can't get there by themselves. If Trent Dilfer won a Superbowl, then whoever QB's this years Bears can too.

Maybe I'll eat these words, but that's my prediction. >>

You never know whats gonna happen but the difference between Dilfer and Grossman was / is significant. Grossman makes way too many mistakes forcing the ball and he ends up costing his team with int's. You put any defense in that spot too often they are not gonna win.

Dilfer on the other hand that year was a very good game manager. Thats all a truely great defense needs. A smart qb not always putting them in a hole.
  • Options

<< <i>It's whether or not he's better than Rex Grossman.

Which he isn't.

Do you really think Chicago would have him riding the bench if he gave them a better chance to win? They've even tried putting him in to help facilitate a QB switch, but Griese is so mediocre he can't even generate a QB controversy in the coach's eyes. >>

I think he is better than Grossman. He has about an 85 QB rating over the 80 games or so he's played in his career, compared to Grossman's QB rating of 72, and while I fully admit that the QB rating is not the greatest metric for gauging quarterbacks it at least tells you something.

The reason Griese isn't starting IMO is because the Bears have kept winning while Grossman flounders around out there, and Smith doesn't want a QB controversy on his hands if Griese comes in and plays well. A QB controversy for a playoff bound team is just a nightmare-- it divides the team and it distracts the coaches.
  • Options
    When was the last time a team was favored over the field? Indy was close to a pk last year to win the AFC, but still a little over (+) money and that's the closest I can recall.

• Options
    Call them what you will. Super Bowl bound!!!

EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Hey zef, I've hope you learned now not to this to these so-called experts. Grossman is good enough and I've been saying it all year. Guess what Romo, the guy from Philly (name escapes me), Eli, Brees, Rivers, and looks like Payton too, Young, Lionheartless are all going to be sitting home watching the game on TV.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats to the Bears. Looked like a team of destiny today.
    Mike
    Bosox1976