Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

My toner of the year 2006

I had many nice toners this year but one of them was special-- it was the first I got from a forum member and the toning was something I had never seen before.

I got a couple of coins from Syracusian from in a weekend swap and noticed that he had a special coin a 1943 India 2 Annas which was not for sale. I PM'ed him about the same and though he was reluctant about selling the same due to sentimental reasons (was the first coin he got from LordM), he graciously parted with the same. I was very happy with the coin and it was with me for sometime before I decided to send it to the slab factory just to protect the coin and it duely recived a MS63 grade a point below my expectation.

At the end of the year I was taking an inventory (as a part of my resolution to keep records for all coins) and was looking at all my toners and noticed for the first time the actual grade given by NGC for this Ni-Br coin-- MS63 RB!!! I had looked at this many times and never did notice the RB designation before!! It was a first for me-- receiving a RB designation for a Brass coin!! Mind you the coin is a little darker in hand. The picture is by Phil Arnold.

Thanks a lot Syracusian! image

[URL=http://imageshack.us]image[/URL]

Comments

• FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

Very pretty! image
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    You are more than welcome Vikram. image Indeed, this was if not the first, one of my very first purchases from LM, for the older members here, one of his Everett hoard coins.

As long as the coins end up in other members' collections, it seriously reduces my guilt for selling them, if any. image

PS: Actually LordM was stricter than NGC and had graded this coin MS62 when it was on his for sale list, due to its small planchet flaw.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was indeed part of the "Everett Hoard" I bought a few years back, which included a number of nice South African, British India, and Brazilian pieces. The hoard was stored in a local attic here along with old letters and such. I bought all of the coins but did not buy the currency portion of the hoard. My pet theory is that the old envelopes and decades of steamy southern heat contributed to the toning on these coins. Many were near-black and quite ugly, but a few pieces, including yours, were quite attractive, with pinks and violets. (Regarding the heat in local attics, the mercury in a thermometer once registered nearly 120 degrees up in our own when I was a teenager, helping my father install insulation.)

The hoard was purchased from a middle-aged fellow named Mr. Everett. Apparently the coins (and the letters and currency which I did not purchase) were sent home by his father during the elder Mr. Everett's travels in the US Merchant Marine during the Second World War. Some of the South African coins were key dates- there were two rather rare shillings in the lot.

I am glad the coin has a new home with someone who will appreciate it.

Phil's photography is excellent, but I seem to recall that piece looking a bit pinker, more lustrous, and slightly iridescent in hand? How interesting that it ended up in a slab.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.