Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Would you use online catalog software for your collection?

One of the common points in the Numismatic Resolutions thread was that you guys plan to better catalog/organize your collections.

If there were a site like Krause's NumisMaster that allowed you to catalog your collection, including uploading your own photos and maintaining your own notes, for free would you be interested in using it? Yes or no, what would be some features that you would want in such a system or (for the no's) what would convice you to use it?

I bought the domains numispedia.com/net/org long before NumisMaster came on the scene (in fact when Krause was cursing such an idea as unfeasable and too costly). This has been a project I have been planning for years and hopefully in the coming year I will have some time to bring closer to reality.

Would you guys be interested in such a thing?

Comments

• Options
    A program that does that plus allows a complete Excel/CSV file to be downloaded is what I'm waiting for.

If your program does that I'll gladly sign up.
  • Options
    JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    A very smart person would also include a 'It's for sale' or 'Make an Offer' etc into the online software and then IT WOULD BE A HIT.

Make the site Free and possibly add a TINY fee for those who wanted to sell.
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A very smart person would also include a 'It's for sale' or 'Make an Offer' etc into the online software and then IT WOULD BE A HIT.

Make the site Free and possibly add a TINY fee for those who wanted to sell. >>

That's exactly what I was thinking of. image

And for portability I'd like to make data not only CSV exportable but also to handheld devices, so you can take customized want lists to shows, etc. In the long run I'd also like to make modules so that users can use a scaled-down version of the software to make their own homepages, or quickly link to coin type data in their ebay listings, etc.

It's all doable... just takes time!
  • Options
    500Bay500Bay Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭
    I use Heritage's "My Collection" for my US coins - and I would love for there to be a comparable site for my ancient collection.
    Finem Respice
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Not to be facetious, but: only if it was software I wrote.

Last thing I want is some unknown entity having access to information on every coin I own and what I paid for them.

It's not likely that any company providing such a service would be regulated with respect to privacy and confidentiality. For all I know, the details about my collection could be sold off to any marketing firm (or worse) on the planet at any time.... nice idea but no thanks.
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's not likely that any company providing such a service would be regulated with respect to privacy and confidentiality. >>

I don't see why that has to be the case?

The internet is full of services that organize private data--from financial sites to book collections, and even sites that backup personal files (like a thumbdrive). Sure, there have been a good many sites created for the explicit purpose of phishing (whether private data or simply usage stats), but any web-based entity that wants to truly succeed must be founded on firm principles and enforce them soundly. I really don't see why a site dealing with coins would be any more untrustworthy with your personal information than any of the multitude that operate with confidence.