Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Interesting find...1940-S Jefferson Nickel with Rev Die Break

OneyOney Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭✭
I found this today at a local shop. Its a 1940-S Jefferson Nickel. What's really interesting is the die break on the reverse. The crack runs from top to botton on the coin but leaves a large break on the shell of Monticello. Anyone recognize this variety or is it relatively common?

imageimage

Die Break
Brian

Comments

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

Die cracks are awesome!!

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    sweet find!
  • Options
    I immediately went to my Jefferson Nickel Collection when I saw this thread b/c I knew my 1940-S had a rev die break from top to bottom. Unfortunately, it is not a match with Oney's. My die break starts on the right side of the "S" in PLURIBUS, runs through the third column of Monticello, bisects the "E" in CENTS and nicks the corner of the last "S" in STATES. Pretty cool nonetheless.

Edit: awesome photo
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    this is a relatively common die crack that appears on Jefferson Nickels and most notably becomes interesting with the 1942-S, 1943-S, 1944-S and 1945-S because it often makes the large "S" MintMark appear to be a $!! it's almost surely from a die clash which causes the reverse die to crack in the same direction as the obverse portrait where the most pressure will be exerted. if you look at enough coins you'll also start to notice that the area just under Jefferson's chin, at the tie, will often be weak or missing entirely, with the effect that the head "floats" above the coat. this is presumably from a clash which was then polished to make the die servicable and get it back into production.
  • Options
    OneyOney Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the information everyone! Happy New Year!
    Brian
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭

<< <i>this is a relatively common die crack that appears on Jefferson Nickels and most notably becomes interesting with the 1942-S, 1943-S, 1944-S and 1945-S because it often makes the large "S" MintMark appear to be a $!! >>

It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file