Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What do you guys think of these two rainbow toned Kennedy Half Dollars?

Comments

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Super, but could you cook me up a 1968? I need a gift for my sister.
  • Options
    To much heat, the obverses on both are bubblingimage
    The glass is half full!
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    They were stored in envelopes for 40 years.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like that first coin Russ----people talk about crusty coins.....that one is crusty.
    I'll pass on the second.
    #1 is a keeper
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    They look pretty cool to me, though I am coin-giddy after a week at my mother-in-law's place.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Body Bag
    Enviormental Damage

• Options
    mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    I like the obverse of the top one ....and the reverse of the bottom one.
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Medium attractive NT, IMO.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    How did you make them?

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options

<< <i>How did you make them? >>

I didn't. The US Mint did.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Original toning, The sulpher from the envelopes tones them in this fashion..put 'em on the bay.. image
  • Options
    I like them, but i have no idea if they're "market acceptable".

Will they be sent in for a professional opinion?
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are both NT and attractive. Not sure how a TPG company woyuld grade them...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both AT big time

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    I think they are NT.....but since I'm not into toned coins, I don't really care for them.
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first is the best,and they both look NT.

Al
  • Options
    The top one reminds me of the MOC Pedigree Hoard.
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Not market acceptable.
    Becky
  • Options
    I like them. I think toned coins are pretty. As far as AT or NT, I'm far from an expert!
    Go SOONERS!!!!
  • Options
    Yeh, right !!
    Sooners suck!
    Golf time!!
  • Options

<< <i>Not market acceptable. >>

That's what I am thinking......but I am not saying they are AT as I have seen other kennedy's come out of envelopes after decades with similar colors and toning patterns so.....it wouldn't suprise me if they were legit......but I would be a little suprised if PCGS holdered them.
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AT or not any coin is fantastic toning posted on these forums will immediately be suspect because of what's happened here in the past several months.
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have one that looks very much like the first one
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    cool looking but AT
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i have quite a few clads with nice, concentric tone like this, much less vibrant and mostly confined to the obverse, from what i assume was long storage in a Whitman type folder. most of the silver Kennedys i find tend to be mottled gold-brown-gray with a little blue sometimes. i took them to the MSNS Show at Thanksgiving and MadMarty liked them, said i should put them back in the Whitman for another 10 years. unfortunately, they're coins that i've found here and there at shows and shops.
  • Options

I would say NT all the way, they have the look...

I Like the first one best, the second one should of been taken out of the envelope 10 years ago..."-)

My Ebay Auctions

Currently Listed: Nothing

Take Care, Dave
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Russ, you know you're my hero and all, and as usual I'm gonna go against the grain here and say these "Things" are BUNK!! Heh heh
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>They were stored in envelopes for 40 years. >>

I missed this part, can I change my mind now?image
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    I've had coins in envelopes for 35 years and they never turned colors like that.
  • Options

<< <i>I've had coins in envelopes for 35 years and they never turned colors like that. >>

Sorry man, it needs to be 40 or 80 years. That's the only way it "works." Heh heh

Edit to add, it's all about the stories. Sorry Russ, please don't be upset with me.image
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    So another five years should do it then. If it doesn't, I'll have to wait another 40? It's gotta be five, because I probably won't be around another 45.
  • Options

<< <i>So another five years should do it then. If it doesn't, I'll have to wait another 40? It's gotta be five, because I probably won't be around another 45. >>

Walk it through at a show and tell them your story. Be sincere, tell them you know people, perhaps they will see what they can do.image
    Oh, be sure to bring the envelope, that's important!!!
  • Options
    HadleydogHadleydog Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Walk it through at a show and tell them your story. Be sincere, tell them you know people, perhaps they will see what they can do.image
    Oh, be sure to bring the envelope, that's important!!! >>

• Options
    THE 1965 is MONSTER ; how much for it before you send it off to PCGS ? image
  • Options
    And now, the moment we've all been waiting for.

Both of these coins are shake and bake and are the work of gototoningcoins, formerly tonecoin2003, formerly easyman168. Yep, the same eBay coin doctor who produced the infamous NGC MS66* Peace Dollar, (thus my earlier hint about envelope storage). I bought them from him a couple years ago, along with two Frankies and a Walker. At the time I sent both the Walker and one of the Frankies to PCI where they were graded no problem. The other Frankie I passed along to another forum member.

A fellow forum member suggested that I image and post some of his work so anybody who wanted to do so could save the images and have reference material. So, there they are.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    On the 1964, the obv is AT and the rev is NT. image The 1965 is just plan ol AT.

-David
  • Options
    HadleydogHadleydog Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭
    Finally, we have excellent pictures of the docs work. The docs pretty good, but they still have a funky look to them and should be easy now to determine in the future. The recent ngc ms65* peace dollar that Pat pulled up has the exact same look.
    Thanks, Russ! image
  • Options
    pretty, but Artificially Toned
    Get er done!
  • Options
    Every notice how easily people nail it after the answer is revealed? image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    Threads like this one are good, but in addition to guessing and then stating an answer it would also be good if someone also tried to explain why a coin is good or no good in general terms IMO.

Coin #1, See the 'hard' colors around the obv. rims that almost appears to be baked on with heavy dark spotting, also notice the small red and blue circle behind JFKs neck, also notice the flesh and light blue colored area in the center surrounded by an untoned area and then very hard deep colors.

Coin #2, again very deep baked on look toning on obv. yet the deepest areas on the coin such as inner ear and lower nose and inside mouth remain untoned or sky blue, also numerous small white dot areas on obv. and perfect color progression through loops on 6 and 9, also nearly identical pattern of progression on the rev. of both coins and incomplete tone in recessed areas around rims.

These are just a few GENERAL things to look at and may or may not be conclusive on other coins.

• Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    If one were to glue two rainbow halves together,

would one have a rainbow dollar?
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Threads like this one are good, but in addition to guessing and then stating an answer it would also be good if someone also tried to explain why a coin is good or no good in general terms IMO.

Coin #1, See the 'hard' colors around the obv. rims that almost appears to be baked on with heavy dark spotting, also notice the small red and blue circle behind JFKs neck, also notice the flesh and light blue colored area in the center surrounded by an untoned area and then very hard deep colors.

Coin #2, again very deep baked on look toning on obv. yet the deepest areas on the coin such as inner ear and lower nose and inside mouth remain untoned or sky blue, also numerous small white dot areas on obv. and perfect color progression through loops on 6 and 9, also nearly identical pattern of progression on the rev. of both coins and incomplete tone in recessed areas around rims.

These are just a few GENERAL things to look at and may or may not be conclusive on other coins. >>

Also, note the scratches on the coins. Both coins have one in the field near the I in LIBERTY, among others. They are basically untoned, meaning they the coin was marked like that after it received its toning, or the baking did not get into the scratches. If they sat in emvelopes for 40 years, the toning wouldn't discrminate against the marks. They might tone a sligthly different color, but would not stay white.

The field area around the eagle'e head and under the motto is a uniformly different color than than the rest of the field and the surrounding devices. Generally not natural.
    Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options

I learned One thing, do not trust Coin Ferengi's...

What ever the HeII that is..."-)

My Ebay Auctions

Currently Listed: Nothing

Take Care, Dave
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I learned One thing, do not trust Coin Ferengi's... >>

That's right, what is a coin ferengi?

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options

<< <i>I learned One thing, do not trust Coin Ferengi's...

What ever the HeII that is..."-) >>

Don't feel bad. This guy has fooled NGC several times, and PCGS at least once.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Every notice how easily people nail it after the answer is revealed? image

Russ, NCNE >>

Hey, man, I was first out of the gate on this one. imageimage
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    I want to find envelopes that tone coins as if they have been in an album.... image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options

<< <i>And now, the moment we've all been waiting for.

Both of these coins are shake and bake and are the work of gototoningcoins, formerly tonecoin2003, formerly easyman168. Yep, the same eBay coin doctor who produced the infamous NGC MS66* Peace Dollar, (thus my earlier hint about envelope storage). I bought them from him a couple years ago, along with two Frankies and a Walker. At the time I sent both the Walker and one of the Frankies to PCI where they were graded no problem. The other Frankie I passed along to another forum member.

A fellow forum member suggested that I image and post some of his work so anybody who wanted to do so could save the images and have reference material. So, there they are.

Russ, NCNE >>

Thanks Russ .............I suppose the Franklin ended up in a PCGS 64 , or a NGC 66 holder !!!image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file