Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I've had the smell of........

an Early 80's box break in my nose all day. It could be late 70's (I've had a cold lately)

Comments

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    i popped an 84 donruss baseball and 93sp football last night...go for it.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    I was thinking 82 TOPPS mAYBEimage

• Options
    82 Topps was my first complete set as a kid, And it is one of the only years from the 80's that I have not ripped.

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love the Fisk IA. Rip away and Good Luck!
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    What TOPPS registry from the 80's is the hottest right now ??

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Funny, I almost broke my '82 Topps cello box today. Wife and kids are out of town, the box has been sitting my collection since 1982, it's FRESH... but I decided to come to the office instead. Going to the airport soon to pick up the family so no box break for me later! Happy new year!
  • Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    I just went through two 1982 vending boxes from BBCE a few days ago. I was of course looking for the Ripken which I did get one. I also got a handful of some nice Roses, Nolan and a few other noteworthy's.

I plan on sending quite a few to PSA in the future (or at least that is what I am telling myself). I did send the Ripken in on my 6 free subs so hopefully I will have that back in a couple of weeks.

The 1982 set is my favorite design of the 80's, although if I had to pick one set it would be the 1980.

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    tb,
    what did you decide? did you bust?

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    David, what did you pull in the '84 Donruss?

I feel that the '84 Donruss is still (and probably will always be) the 'hottest' of the '80s issues. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options

<< <i>tb,
    what did you decide? did you bust? >>

Havent decided yetimage

• Options
    I am thinking of going with the 82 Topps Baseball. I have contacted Steve to see how many Regular Racks he has and if he has enough loose to make a three box rack case (72).

Should be a lot of fun bustin !

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TB

There's nothing like the smell of bubblegum on a baseball card...

That's the cool thing about Topps Heritage - it wreaks of Topps gum.

Mike
  • Options
    tennesseebanker, great choice on 82 Topps, I mean it is the best issue of the 80's! Oh, I forgot that is what the 84 Donruss collectors say. Well, I think its the best set anyways, so good luck with the break if you buy a case. If you would let me know if you plan to send in a group to be graded. I could use a few more PSA 9/10 cards to add to what I have. Maybe we could work out a trade or sale. Good luck! Steve
  • Options
    Will do Steve, I have enjoyed going over some of your previous posts about 82 Topps. I hear you have an Awesome set.
    Is there any cards that are tougher in high grade than others that I could be on the lookout for ? And in what unopened product did the Backless errors come in ?

Thanks, Barry

• Options
    Barry,

I'm going to put together a list of cards that I feel are tough and send that list to you within the next 24 hrs.
    It will be interesting to see how it all plays out over time when more 82's are graded. Then we'll have a better idea of which cards are really the hardest to find in high grade. At this point I believe I have around 140 1/1's in my 82 set and that number will drop quite a bit once more collectors get involved in attempting the entire set in graded form. When I email you I'll include some info on what I've found out about the blackless cards too. Talk to you soon.

Bunker,

Good luck on the Ripken and any other 82's if you send some in for grading. I'm just about complete now on the 82 set after several years of working on it and enjoy seeing the results of subs posted here.
  • Options
    Well, Steve got back with me on the 82's He has almost a full three box rack case. probably around 2 1/2 boxes or so. He is going to let me know the price sometime after he gets them together. Should be some fun rippin.image

• Options
    post some scans when you start. i'm going to finish busting an 81t bkb box now.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    I broke 2 boxes of 93 SP ($60 each from BBCE on E-Bay), 1 box of 1990 Notre Dame (for TTM cards), 1 box of 1992 Looney Tunes (Dan Marino cards) and 4 1989 Score Supplemental sets. I feel much better right now image

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg