Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1st time purchase with BCE...

Well, I made my first purchase today with BCE. Kinda happy, but very unsure. Hope they arrive safe. I bought 1 wax pack box from 1989 from each major baseball card brand except Upper Deck due to the high dollar price. So, I hope I'm happy when they get here. There's a local show coming up and I know of a few people who will be there who will want to buy. Thought I'd get a jump start. I wish I could open up my own table, but it's so darn expensive. And I don't know how I feel about the idea of strangers sifting through my cards.

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve Hart is top-notch! Shipping for 1989 wax is probably more than what the box is worth, though, these days. image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Altogether the order was $44. I'm going to be reselling all of them because for whatever reason that year in wax is really popular around here locally. I don't get it, but I don't question it since the money is used to pay bills. Last time I did this, I went to a show out of state. I was there vacationing at the time and it happen to be the weekend I was there. I brought back a trunk full of wax and completed factory sealed sets to just sell to people at shows who happened to be there. I would walk around for hours seeing what people were looking at and then let them know I had some stuff if they were interested. I couldn't afford to get a table at some of the shows, so I just made my way through the show and chatted. For whatever reason, 1989 unopened wax is incredibly popular and so I thought I'd give it another shot. I'll be selling some and shows and some on ebay. So, let's hope it works out.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm going to be reselling all of them because for whatever reason that year in wax is really popular around here locally. >>

I guess people don't get out much in your part of the world.

<< <i>Kinda happy, but very unsure. >>

You're kidding right??
  • Options
    I just busted some product from BBCE on Thursday. Every so often I pick up a box of 1981 Topps since it is so cheap, $75 for the cello. I never worry about the product been authentic and unopened with Steve. Granted, the cards were absolutely horrible. Bed centering, dinged corners from too tight cello, and just plain bad cards. But, that is what I would have ended up with had I bought them in a store a quarter century ago.
  • Options

<< <i>I guess people don't get out much in your part of the world. >>

LOL, it's really funny you say that because people go nuts around here when a show comes to town. Especially the mall shows. I love watching people get really excited about stuff that they've never really seen. I do feel sorry for the suckers out there, but only because I used to be one before I came here to the board.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "I wish I could open up my own table, but it's so darn expensive."

/////////////////////////////////////////////

Can you give us some prices?

What general area of the country are you in? (N/S/E/W)

I did a few small/medium-sized shows, and one big one
    this year. Once you try it and win, it is much more addictive
    than EBAY. BUT, it is ALOT of work; HUGE fun, though.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    The one I'm going to this coming weekend is at the Slugger Museum in Louisville, KY. But I had planned this out for a bit and my dad and I are just going to look at stuff. We'll probably take a tour of the place too.
    Most of the shows I've been to are small to medium. I'd say anywhere from 10-50 tables. At the small shows prices started at about $150. The medium shows were a bit more. I think it's because there aren't too many dealers around here and the promoters seem to go with that. I'd love to do it sometime, but I probably would want to share with someone else that's done it before first.
  • Options
    Well more power to you if you can make a little extra scratch. And nothing to worry about with BBCEx. Steve is one of the best in the business.
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

That is very ironic that the Slugger Museum happens to be in Louisville, KY.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "I'd love to do it sometime, but I probably would want to
    share with someone else that's done it before first. "

/////////////////////////////////////////////

If you do not have a friend that will split one with you,
    you might consider this: Call a promoter and ask him
    for a list of people that are setting up. Call one of the
    more experienced guys and offer to pay for their table,
    if they will let you use half of the space.

Many promoters will also pair people for half-tables, but paying
    the full rent for an expert to hang with is usually worth the
    money. It is not that they know so much about the product -
    though most do - but they can teach you alot about going
    out and setting up on your own.

You will learn a bunch, and you can decide if it is something
    you can do by yourself.

Obviously, it is usually more fun to do it with someone else,
    but I have done many by myself and still had a fine time.

I am in the far west, and most of the shows are pretty
    expensive; $140 per day for really small ones, and $270
    or better per day for the larger ones. Some just rent you
    the space and you have to bring your own cases; others
    will rent you the cases. You also have to pay for electric
    hook-up at some of them.

Some of the regularly-scheduled, small, one-day shows are
    still worth the price, too. The ones in the shopping-malls have
    lots of traffic, but ALOT fewer buyers than the other locations.

Good Luck.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.