Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

My final NEWPS of 2006

The mail brought one last package for me, and it had some nice ones. The seller was using pictures of dots on Ebay image, so I ended up calling him, and after he emailed me a few scans (ick) and described the coins to me, we worked out a bulk deal with a full return privilege. I'm happy to say that none will be going back. image

First there are the 2 lightside pieces that I posted pictures of here.

Peru 1/2 Dinero, 1914/03 FG. ICG MS67. Lovely peripheral toning. I *HATE* this insert material that ICG used -- never seen it used in their slabs before. Bleagh.

Chile 1 Peso, 1875 SO. PCGS MS62. Deep, dark, and original.

Chile 10 Centavos, 1941. NGC MS67. Common coin, but stunning appearance.

Guatemala 1/4 Real, 1875/3 P. NGC MS65. Brilliant white. A key date of the series. So many diebreaks for such a small coin...

Guatemala 1/4 Real, 1876 P. NGC MS66. Lovely lavender toning. Also a key date. Having these 2, along with a couple other slabbed ones, I think I may try to collect them by date and mintmark. Heck, they're cheap and the same size as quarter farthings, so why not? imageimage

Haiti 1 Centime, 1846. ICG MS63 BN. Looks like it may have been lightly cleaned a long, long time ago, but I really like the color.

Portugal 200 Reis, 1898. ICG MS64. Common and relatively inexpensive type, often found in PL condition (this one is not), but dig the colorful toning!

Essequibo & Demerary Stiver, 1813. ICG PR63 BN. This one was the pricey one of the bunch. Deep chocolate brown, but with colorful mirroring when angled to the light. First set of pics show the coin straight-on, and the second shows the coloring.

Lastly:

Philippines 20 Centimos, 1868. NGC MS64. This one was a jaw-dropping surprise! Extremely difficult to image because it is brilliant white and prooflike.

Comments

• I need one of those Guatemala 1/4 Real coins! Wanna point me to where I can find one slabbed?
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭
    WOW!!! image

Those are some pretty coins! Almost makes me want to give up on Canadian - uhhh, not! image
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I need one of those Guatemala 1/4 Real coins! Wanna point me to where I can find one slabbed? >>

All the ones I've bought have come from Ebay. When they show up, common dates should probably be found slabbed in MS63 or better for less than $30.

Common dates actually catalog for less than $10 in UNC, but by the time someone pays slabbing fees, you usually end up paying multiples of Krause, but it's kind of a moot point since the net cost is so darned low.

This type can not only be found as blast white, but you can find some nice examples with vibrant toning as well.

It seems to be a readily doable series, other than the 1865, 1878 P, 1892, and some of the proofs...

(yes I'm looking for those dates if anyone has some... image )
  • Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭
    Dan,
    Very nice coins. Thanks for sharing your great photos with us.

• Nice haul, I really like the Stivers..... image

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That insert material ICG used in the first slab is the Intercept material that is supposed to be the best for keeping a coin in its current state.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice newps image
    That George III is flat out awesome !!!

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    That insert material ICG used in the first slab is the Intercept material that is supposed to be the best for keeping a coin in its current state.

Yes, the black one right? Looks good too, I have some hard plastic 2x2s with the same material.Well, Dan sees it from a photographing point of view and hates it I guess.

Great coins, always as focused as usual. imageimage In fact I envy your total lack of focus and attention to such details. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imaging the slab with the Intercept Shield can be a pain. He is my feable attempt:

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

• << <i>Imaging the slab with the Intercept Shield can be a pain. He is my feable attempt: >>

Is there a coin in there somewhere???image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Imaging the slab with the Intercept Shield can be a pain. He is my feable attempt:

image >>

Wow! That's a tiny 'un.... would go well with my 1/4 reales and 1/4 farthings... imageimage
  • spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Nice haul! image

Those 1/4 reales are fun. But despite the often low book values they can become quite pricey in true UNC! Especially the types with the rampant lion usually go well over Krause in UNC and I've seen common dates from the 1860s go well over $100--and those were raw.