Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What's the deal with roller marks on '69 Topps?

I looked at some smoking '69 Topps cards today, but some of them had roller marks on the back. Are roller marks more prevalent on '69's and how does this affect the grade?

Ron
Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items

Comments

• Options
    Do you mean a wax stain from the roller melting the wax, a sharp line in the card from a sharp roller, or that the card stock was bent along the roller line?

I see the very slightly bent card stock all of the time in the 1976 Topps basketball release, but not in previous or subsequent years. I assume it is because the 1976 cards were oversized, and the cutting and printing of the card stock was different that year to accommodate that. Almost every release has wax stains of some type. Sharp lines in the card from the roller seem rare, and I more often see actual small paper damage on one size that look like a tear away of the top layers of the card stock on the top card, especially in 1970s rack packs.

A bend in the card stock can be treated by PSA like a surface crease or a full crease if it is bad enough. Wax stains sometimes get the ST qualifier for otherwise nice cards. Small lines across a card on the back aren't a huge deal, unless you are looking for a grade of 9/10, IMO. But, it really all depends on the specific card...
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reply. It looks like the layer of the card stock is on top of another layer of stock. The card doesn't look "bent", rather it looks like a line that goes down into the card as opposed to a surface crease.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ron

Two years ago Topps Heritage had a boatload of cards with a horizontal indentation line that looked to be from a roller.

I asked PSA what their policy was on a roller line and didn't get a specific answer to how much they take off.

If a card were a solid 8 e.g. But had one indentation line - and doesn't break the surace of the card - I would guess the grader gonna drop that sucker to a 6?

Good question.
    Happy New Year
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Mike. Anyone else out there with feedback would be appreciated. I have a few of these and they'll go to the bottom of the grading pile unless I hear otherwise.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy