Home Metal Detecting
Options

Dec06

I borrowed a friends camera/computer so I can join in the reindeer gamesimage
December has been rough. Snowed out today, skunked on the last three shoots, and the ground has started to freeze.
I did manage to pluck a few keepers before the dry spell.

Shield nickel

1812 US cent

1787 German States Schilling.
I found the same coin dated 1780 last year 40 miles south of this one.

An E button. I'll put this with my C and P buttons. Maybe I should work on the alphabet.

This appears to be an envelope seal.

Large bullets.

Bronze leather decorating thing.

Early colonial Bronze buckle.

Made another trip to my native site and found this complete bird point.(see first picture for size)

Comments

• Options
    You did good Sir :-)

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    OmegaOmega Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭
    Nice finds! A very nice variety.image
  • Options
    Excellent variety of goodies there Tim!

That's a nice little Late Woodland triangle you have there!

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    You suck! image
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bow before thee, O Mighty Phut.

One would think your German States silvers would point to a presence of Hessian Rev War troops, but this second one postdates the Revolution by a few years. Interesting. I suppose they circulated in the new United States like so much other foreign silver and gold. You certainly have yourself some Rev War era activity there. (And earlier, of course).

Envelope seals were wax. Your lead seal is likely a bale seal, which would've been used on a bale of cloth or other such merchandise, when it was imported and/or sold. Sort of the 18th century equivalent of the tax sticker one sees on a pack of cigarettes these days. I found a really nice one in Mt. Pleasant, SC, along with a slick 1770-something 1-real coin. Mine was Rev War era, from a Dutch wool blanket shipment from a city in Holland, and I later found a photo of a totally identical example in Ivor Noel Hume's Artifacts Of Colonial America. (Which is a good sourcebook to have, BTW. Speaking of books, has your Albert's arrived yet? If not, somebody is gonna get negged soon.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Awesome finds Phut!!

I would love to spend some time detecting in any of the original 13 colonies. Someday, if the good Lord is willing.