Home Sports Talk
Options

Build an All Time Switch Hitting team...

Off the top of your head, lets build an all time switch hitting team...I'll start off with mine. IT HAS TO BE OFF THE TOP OF YOUR HEAD AND ON YOUR HONOR!!

1B Eddie Murray
2B Pete Rose
3B Chipper Jones
SS Ozzie Smith
CF Mickey Mantle
RF Reggie Smith
LF Ken Singleton
C Ted Simmons
DH Bernie Williams

I have to say that is one heckuva team! I'd bat them in this order...

Rose
Singleton
Mantle
Murray
R. Smith
Chipper
B. Williams
Simmons
Ozzie

I don't think I am missing anybody obvious. Anybody have someone? A pitcher anyone? I know Vida Blue was, and that he was an answer to a trivia question regarding a switch hitting MVP. Can somebody upgrade Vida Blue?

Comments

• Options
    Nice.

Any room for Lance Berkman in the lineup?

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Options
    As a Blue Jays fan, I know I'm biased, but how about Tony Fernandez (in his Gold Glove prime) at shortstop over Smith. Fernandez definitely has a better bat, but Smith is obviously better defensively.

Any room for seven-time Gold Glover Devon White in the outfield?
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    I am going to make a couple of switches.

Roberto Alomar will play secondbase. Tim Raines will play leftfield. Pete Rose will move to rightfield. I am going to DH Roy White over Bernie Williams although either way would be fine.
  • Options
    Off the top of my head - I'd have to go Jorge Posada at catcher!

Hmmm...you got a pretty good list there. I'm sure I can improve on Reggie Smith and Ken Singleton - I don't know if I could do so and keep my honor - but let me think - of course Bernie Williams which has been said - I'm pretty sure Ichiro could switch hit - but that's because he's one of the best hitters ever - but that doesn't help me here. I think Butch Wynegar could switch hit - if you needed a bat boy that could switch hit he'd do. Isn't Carlos Beltran a switch hitter? Man this is tough!
  • Options
    YES - I was right about Beltran!!! He obviously goes right behind Mantle in the outfield - ahead of everyone else that's named.
  • Options
    Man after looking at the list - I feel really dumb! At least we will find out who the king of the switch hitter knowledge is out there...can't believe I missed a few major players of today!
  • Options
    You forgot these switch-hitters:

Carl Lewis
    Jeff Garcia
    Kordel Stewart
    Rene Richards
    Martina Navratilova
    Billy Bean

"An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind". - Gandhi
  • Options
    Math4Cards, Beltran needs to be looked at in the proper context of his era, and he needs more seasons like last year to be considered. He has good raw totals because of the era, and because he needs a LOT of at bats to get them.

Berkman might have a shot.

Raines and Alomar are two I guys that I overlooked, though Chipper and B. Williams should probably go instead of Singleton and Smith.

LF Raines
    DH Rose
    CF Mantle
    1B Murray
    RF R. Smith
    3B Chipper
    2B Alomar
    C Simmons
    SS O. Smith

Candidates...Singleton OF, B. Williams OF, Posada C, Berkman OF, R. White OF, Beltran OF. Seems OF has a lot of candidates.

I like the Offesne of the team, and the defense is very strong up the middle, Ozzie is needed to anchor the defense. Raines and Alomar bring some needed speed. Mantle, Murray, Smith, and Singleton can mash, PLUS get on base(Singleton is an on base machine).

EDITED TO ADD: I put Chipper back in over Singleton. He adds a better defensive infield, and probably puts enough distance hitting wise between him and Singleton over the next couple of years.

Any older players that are missing? Also need a pitcher over Blue.

• Options
    I can't believe I forgot to mention Roberto Alomar ... man, this cold medication must be getting to me.
  • Options
    Any chance a young Ruben Sierra or Chili Davis makes the team?
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    How about Frankie Frisch at 2B or Cool Papa Bell in the outfield?

As for switch-hitting pitchers upgrading Vida Blue, maybe Early Wynn?
  • Options
    Good pick on Early Wynn!

I don't know if Frisch has enough to overtake Alomar.

Bell is interesting. What were his Negro league numbers?
  • Options
    Skinpinch - can't give it to you...if you would rather have Tim Raines or Reggie Smith than Carlos Beltran that's insane and please get into my fantasy baseball league. Carlos Beltran even has a .876 career stolen base mark including stealing 42-45 bases in a season with 2 different teams. The man is very good and he has played longer than Berkman but Berkman is a MONSTER!