Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

New Collecting Ideas: Assistance Please!

I've searched the World Coin Book 2006 price guide I got at the library today. I've searched the whole thing. I've come up with a list of series and collections to potentialy start. I was thinking, since I collect so much older stuff (pre-1900) I should collect something or a few things 20th century and in brilliant uncirculated condition. I've come up with the following:

Germany, Third Reich - 5 Reichsmark 1935-1939 (includes all different mintmarks)

Germany, Federal Republic - 1 Pfenning, 2 Pfenning, and 10 Pfenning 1950-2001

Poland, Peoples Republic - 1 Zloty 1957-1988

Switzerland - Rappen or 2 Rappen 1902-1946 and/or 1948-2004, or 1 Franc 1968-2004

I've also found tons of small islands with beautiful one cent copper colored coins. I might try collecting some of those, even though they're supposed to be 'collector's coins.' Let me know if I'll hit a huge road block with any of those series. Thanks!
Scott Hopkins
-YN Currently Collecting & Researching Colonial World Coins, Especially Spanish Coins, With a Great Interest in WWII Militaria.

My Ebay!

Comments

• The Third Reich is doable, collecting in only uncirculated may take a while to complete though. I just finished mine this last week in XF after 20 years. The Federal Republic as long as you ignore the 1967-G Proof only 2 Pfennig is pretty easy to complete in BU with proofs being pretty cheap too. I have no idea on the others you listed, I am basing this on my own experience with the German stuff.
    Good luck and let us know what you decide to do...
    Regards,
    Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The Third Reich is doable, collecting in only uncirculated may take a while to complete though. >>

I'm working on a 3rd Reich 2 & 5 Mark set in BU (including the Luther & Schiller pieces, I believe there are 99 total). I have all of the 2 Marks but still lack a couple of the 5 Marks (and looking for upgrades on a few). This has been a very enjoyable set to collect. With some exceptions, most of the coins are quite affordable. The challenge is finding them in true Uncirculated condition and with minimal abrasions image. I'm beginning to think that one or two of the 5 Marks might not exist in BU.

Good Luck. - Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions

• << <i>I'm beginning to think that one or two of the 5 Marks might not exist in BU. >>

Like the 1939-E? I got a good looking XF and am thrilled to have it and at this time I will take any grade 1934-E and G with the date. The '33 Luther G is another I have never seen in better than XF...

You finished the 2 mark in BU? that must be an impressive looking set. I am missing the '36 E and J as well as the '39-E I will also take any grade '33-G Luther to just complete that issue...

Coinguy... Back to your original post, the 35-39 series is possible in Uncirculated and shouldn't be to difficult to complete (except the 1939-E for me)... And if you do as Preussen is doing and collect all of them including the 2 Marks it is still a doable set but in BU may take a really long time and effort to really find them in UNC. I collect all of the Empire, Weimar and 3rd Reich by date and mint, I will buy an UNC if available, but have no qualms about buying a VF either. I am interested in completing my collection and upgrading later as I come across them.

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm beginning to think that one or two of the 5 Marks might not exist in BU. >>

<< <i>Like the 1939-E? I got a good looking XF and am thrilled to have it and at this time I will take any grade 1934-E and G with the date. The '33 Luther G is another I have never seen in better than XF... >>

Maybe I'm lucky, but I have a nice, frosty (MS64+) 1939-E. My '34 E & G w/dates are MS63 and AU/Unc respectively. I still need the '33 E & G Luthers. Another I can't find in BU is the 1935-J church w/o date.

<< <i>You finished the 2 mark in BU? >>

I have all of the 2 Marks, but I still need a couple of upgrades for the set to be fully BU.

<< <i>I am missing the '36 E and J as well as the '39-E I will also take any grade '33-G Luther to just complete that issue... >>

I found the '36-E & '39-E, both in MS63. A friend in Germany found a '36-J for me, also in MS63. My 33-G Luther is pretty nice, although probably technically a "slider."

Fun series, huh? Good Luck! - Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions