Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Beware Buyers of Mainly Empty Boxes, Wrappers, Pack Inserts, and Common Lots

Here is a private feedback eBay user who seems to almost exclusively bid on empty wax boxes, wax wrappers, pack inserts, and common lots:

eBay Link

If anyone knows of a seller account for this person, or similar people, I'd love to know.

Comments

• Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    Pretty obvious to see what this guy is doing.

Someone could report him to EBAY T&S.

The way to catch him his to list some of the things
    he likes to buy, as bait.

Once you get his registered info, you can take other steps.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    I must be dense. What am I missing? image
    Wondo

• Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Wondo - he makes and sells his own wax packs.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "What am I missing?"

//////////////////////////////////

Guy appears to be going into the resealing business.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guys like him make me sick. They prey off the inexperience of collectors because many buyers never realize the pack is resealed (until they open it of course).

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Ok I get it he buys wrappers and card lots but how the heck do these resealers come by 35 year old gum is someone dumb enough to sell the gum?

• Options
    how the heck do these resealers come by 35 year old gum is someone dumb enough to sell the gum?

They buy a 1988 Topps wax case and use that gum for their homemade packs. Many collectors are not familiar with the different sizes of gum Topps used through the years, and these dirtbags are hoping the buyer leaves the pack sealed anyway.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    I notified eBay of my suspicion and they can make up their own mind about what to do. I guess there is a chance this person is a legit collector, but it looks all bad to me. I just don't get it how this can be all that profitable or fun by spending hours scouring eBay for the right parts, carefully putting together packs, selling them raw, paying eBay fees, risking bad feedback with every sale, etc. Oh well....

On one side, I wish they didn't allow wax wrappers on eBay, but as a collector, I do have a few I need for my personal collection (1969 Basketball anyone?). Of course, I never purchase lots of 36 wrappers along with empty boxes and common lots from the same release, and then repeat a similar pattern 10 times!
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I wonder if he's from NY.....

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    My guess would be Ohio. There was a rather notorious resealer from there (who specialized in 1986-87 Fleer Packs).

Edit - After punching up the seller's ID, it appers to be from SC.

<< <i>I wonder if he's from NY..... >>

Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    Looks like we'll be seeing a 1974 wax box up for auction in the near future....

Empty 1974 Box

• Options
    metalmikemetalmike Posts: 2,152 ✭✭
    This packmaker is still at it! Look what he has been buying this month!
    USN 1977-1987 * ALL cards are commons unless auto'd. Buying Britneycards. NWO for life.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ok I get it he buys wrappers and card lots but how the heck do these resealers come by 35 year old gum is someone dumb enough to sell the gum?

image >>

<< <i>They buy a 1988 Topps wax case and use that gum for their homemade packs. Many collectors are not familiar with the different sizes of gum Topps used through the years, and these dirtbags are hoping the buyer leaves the pack sealed anyway. >>

And there was the missing piece to his resealing future. Pretending to ask questions like a concerned citizen, all the while spinning his fat ugly web of deceit.
  • Options
    HE WILL GET HIS, IT ALWAYS COMES BACK TO GET YA...LOOK AT OJ
  • Options
    Man, gary is a sick, fat conman.
  • Options
    Nothing ever happens to these guys that sell resealed packs. I have been hearing stories for years about people doing it, but I have never heard one story of someone getting thrown in jail or arrested for it. I have heard about people getting busted for selling items and not shipping them and stealing the money...but not once have I heard of someone getting in serious trouble for selling bad packs....so they will probabably just keep doing it.
  • Options
    Or the guy may just collect opened boxes and wrappers like alot of members of this board do as well.....

J
  • Options
    True...I guess that is also possible
  • Options
    This guy has been discussed before here