Home Metal Detecting
Options

I bet this hasn't been asked! - What's the best type of metal detector for the money?

I've always been interested in detecting, I don't know why I've never pursued it further than buying my 6yr old son a very cheap detector, (we actually found some old bottle caps). I would like to know the expert's opinions... and figure you're going to ask me all kinds of questions about how I'm going to use it. Let's just say I don't need the best of the best and I've already had the bottom, so something mid range.

Any help would be great! Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    I just wanted a detector for the grand kids to use.. I already have top of the line units from White's.
    I went to the local White's dealer, looked at what I could get. I looked at Tosoro's: http://www.tesoro.com/

I wanted some kind of target ID. White's has it starting with the Prizm 2. $200.00 http://www.whiteselectronics.com/prizm2w.php

I am impressed with the Prizm 2! ! ! It is a turn on and go type of unit. Just turn on lower the coil to the soil and swing. Hear a beep..look at the display, make a few passes over target and watch the display. It will indiacate what is in the ground.

I took the Prizm to the beach to test it (easy digging ;-). At the beach I dig just about all targets. When the Prizm locked on the display, it was right on most of the time :-)

Just take a look at a White's before you bye an Ace or other type unit.

Good Luck
    Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    OmegaOmega Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭
    I just picked up a Prizm 2 at a pawn shop about a month ago for $75 and I love it! I am just starting out and it is a very friendly machine. I have been digging dimes and pennies out od the local school playground over the holiday break and it is pretty accurate with it's display. Enjoy!!
  • Options
    When you say "best for the money" I guess I would have to ask....what kind of money are you willing to spend?

My White's DFX ($1,200) would probably be considered a top-of-the-line detector, but my experience level in detecting is not even close to matching the capabilities of the machine. I could have done with a less expensive model just fine and in fact, folks here with far less expensive detectors find far more treasures than I do on a regular basis so it all becomes relative.

When I bought my detector I wasn't concerned about the cost, I just always like to have the best I can for whatever money I'm willing to spend.

• Options
    2bucks2bucks Posts: 636 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies. I think I'll try a Prizm 2, it sounds exactly like the type of detector I'm looking for.

I'll let you all know how I do! image

-Trey
  • Options
    I think that Prisim 2 is the one I have (if its the one from walmart lol). but whatever you do... get...a...PINPOINTER!!!!!!! its been driving me crazy not having one lol, trust me it helps ALOT.
  • Options

<< <i>What's the best type of metal detector for the money? >>

The one that works best for you. image
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage