Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Post Office closed Tues......

A Postal Employee just told me that they will be closed Tues for a National Day of Mourning for Pres. Ford.

Comments

• BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    I didn't know that the post office did that. Good for themimage

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    are banks closed also? does anyone no? so no mail till wednesday. nice little break for them after the xmas mess!
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭✭
    Man, imagine how much mail is gonna have to go out on Wednesday after being closed 3 days in a row??? My father was a mailman and, while he loved his days off, he was always hit with a ton of mail afterwards.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • I believe all federal buildings and offices are closed.image
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies

• Yes, the President declared Tuesday a National Day of Mourning, closing all Federal offices.

Yea, I get a four day weekend, although my office falls under Section 2 and may not be closed. Waiting for a call.

Executive Order: Providing for the Closing of Government Departments and Agencies on January 2, 2007

By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and laws of the United States of America, it is hereby ordered as follows:

Section 1. All executive departments, independent establishments, and other governmental agencies shall be closed on January 2, 2007, as a mark of respect for Gerald R. Ford, the thirty-eighth President of the United States. That day shall be considered as falling within the scope of Executive Order 11582 of February 11, 1971, and of 5 U.S.C. 5546 and 6103(b) and other similar statutes insofar as they relate to the pay and leave of employees of the United States.

Sec. 2. The first sentence of section 1 of this order shall not apply to those offices and installations, or parts thereof, in the Department of State, the Department of Defense, the Department of Justice, the Department of Homeland Security, or other departments, independent establishments, and governmental agencies that the heads thereof determine should remain open for reasons of national security or defense or other essential public business.

GEORGE W. BUSH

THE WHITE HOUSE,

December 28, 2006.
  • Thanksimage
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was watching a piece on ESPN and they said that Ford was the most athletic president of all time.

He played for Michigan State and was drafted by two NFL teams - but back then they only paid 200$ per game - BB was a way better gig than FB.

Instead he elected to attend law school - ugggh - another lawyer!

Just messin' with ya lawyers. image

Mr. Ford was much better coordinated and smarter than he was given credit - but I think he had a sense of humor and took it well.

Does anyone remember his big mental faux pas? I wanna say it was omitting a big country from NATO in a speech? I know he also pardoned Nixon - that definitely hurt him for reelection.

Happy New Year
    mike
    Mike
  • BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    Did the PO close for Reagan? It was not that long ago, but I can't remember?

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation

• << <i>I was watching a piece on ESPN and they said that Ford was the most athletic president of all time.

He played for Michigan State and was drafted by two NFL teams - but back then they only paid 200$ per game - BB was a way better gig than FB.

Instead he elected to attend law school - ugggh - another lawyer!

Just messin' with ya lawyers. image

Mr. Ford was much better coordinated and smarter than he was given credit - but I think he had a sense of humor and took it well.

Does anyone remember his big mental faux pas? I wanna say it was omitting a big country from NATO in a speech? I know he also pardoned Nixon - that definitely hurt him for reelection.

Happy New Year
    mike >>

I think during the Presidential Debate with Carter he said that Poland was not behind the Iron Curtain or was not under Communist rule.

He was also said to tell the City of New York to "drop dead" when they asked for a federal financial bail out, but he never said it.
  • Banks aren't closed - they can't be closed 4 days in a row by regulation.

• Stock markets closed.

NEW YORK (AFX) - The New York Stock Exchange said Friday it will close on Tuesday as part of a national day of mourning to mark the funeral of President Gerald R. Ford. (Nachrichten/Aktienkurs) The NYSE joined the Nasdaq Stock Market, which made a similar announcement on Thursday.

It had been expected that the stock exchanges would close out of respect for the 38th president. Financial markets have traditionally closed for presidential funerals, the last time being the burial of President Ronald Reagan in June 2004.

Wall Street's closing on the day of a national funeral dates back to the burial of President Ulysses S. Grant in 1885. However, the NYSE has sometimes traded on a shortened schedule during a presidential funeral -- the last time, for Herbert Hoover's funeral in 1964.

There was some speculation the exchanges, uneasy about closing for four straight days including the weekend, would try to have at least some stock trading on Tuesday. The last time Wall Street was closed this long was following the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks, when there was no trading for six days including a weekend.

One of the concerns is that U.S. investors would be unable to execute trades following market-moving political events in other countries.
  • theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    being the president of the u.s. is the hardest job in the world. no matter what you do normally at least 45% of your own country disagrees with you. the rest of the world is ready to knock us down a peg or two whenever they can. you are constantly made the butt of jokes and every word you say in public is on display. since there haven't been that many they do deserve a day of honor.
    due to the incredible medical attention they get they do tend to live longer. i am sure they get check-ups a lot more often than the general public and they never have to worry about being in the wrong HMO! if a hint of cancer is detected is acted on immeadiately.

i didn't vote for all of the following but here is to you president ford, carter, ghw bush, clinton and gw bush. the power of the presidency should be respected. you will never see a day when a former u.s. president is hanged by his own people for his actions.
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Banks aren't closed - they can't be closed 4 days in a row by regulation. >>

Most banks are open on Saturdays though.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, so much for begging PSA to give us one more day for the December special. Now it would have to be 2 days.

P.S.:

Actually Stone, he played for the skunkbears of Michigan, but you did make my day, as that is the first time EVER that someone referred to MSU when they meant to say u of m. I hear it the other way around almost daily.
  • storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    October 6, 1976 / San Francisco

"Ford also made what most observers considered to be an important blunder. In response to a question asked by Max Frankel of the New York Times concerning the Soviet influence in Eastern Europe, Ford said, "There is no Soviet domination of Eastern Europe, and there never will be under a Ford administration." Frankel responded, "I'm sorry ... did I understand you to say, sir, that the Soviets are not using Eastern Europe as their own sphere of influence in occupying most of the countries there?" Ford responded, "I don't believe ... that the Yugoslavians consider themselves dominated by the Soviet Union. I don't believe that the Romanians consider themselves dominated by the Soviet Union. I don't believe that the Poles consider themselves dominated by the Soviet Union. Each of these countries is independent, autonomous, it has its own territorial integrity, and the United States does not concede that those countries are under the domination of the Soviet Union."

In response Carter said he'd like to see Ford "convince the Polish-Americans and the Czech-Americans and the Hungarian-Americans in this country that those countries don't live under the domination and supervision of the Soviet Union behind the Iron Curtain."

News reports about the debate were dominated by Ford's statement and its potential effect on the race. Most observers felt the debate proved to be a turning point and the key to Carter's narrow electoral victory. A post-debate Gallup poll on October 15 showed Carter six percentage points ahead of Ford, 48 percent to 42 percent."

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Years later, Ford explained that his controversial comment was meant to
    acknowledge the "free and independent will" of those subjugated by
    communist thugs.

It is fair to believe that his words were meant to encourage the people
    of Eastern Europe to continue to "resist." To assume that the "domination"
    ended solely as a result of outside influences/events is to misunderstand
    why the WALL really came down. The mental and emotional attitudes of
    the captives prevailed, not solely because their captors went broke and
    threw in the towel, but also because, as Ford should have said: "As long
    as the hearts and minds of men yearn for freedom - they shall not forever
    be without it, for no form of domination can prevail against it."

When the WALL came down, we saw millions of free-people who had
    ALWAYS believed what Ford implied in the famous flub: "We do not CONSIDER
    ourselves dominated, and those who seek to break our spirit should not be
    surprised when we waltz out of here."

storm

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    If I were a former president, I would announce that upon my death I would appreciate it if the post office would be open on the following Sunday.

Is it kind of silly that the post office has to be closed on Sunday anyway? Has anyone considered this is in a while?
    Wouldn't it be much more efficient for all concerned? Surely the employees could still work five day weeks..
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • 1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭
    Here is a Football card that featured Ford...guess he was pretty athletic!!

• GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    I was more than a bit disappointed when my expected package didn't get here today, knowing it was Wednesday at the earliest for it.

Eisenhower played football at West Point.

Love the Jim Thorpe story.
  • metalmikemetalmike Posts: 2,152 ✭✭
    iregarless of your polictical sway - today is a good day one less evil idiot I need to battle weakspeed Saddam you dumbass!
    USN 1977-1987 * ALL cards are commons unless auto'd. Buying Britneycards. NWO for life.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ford was a fine president for a brief time. If it weren't for the Daily News headline "Ford to City: Drop Dead" he probably would have carried NY and won the 1976 election.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.