Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

A scale for weighing coins

I have never owned one or bought one. Any recommendations on type, manufactures and what can I expect to pay? Thanks in advance for any comments...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Comments

• PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭
    This works pretty well for an inexpensive scale. - Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • It is best to get a scale with an accuracy to within 0.01 grams. You can take your pick from here - Coin Scales
    knowledge ........ share it
  • pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭
    As far as scales go, there are two issues: accuracy and precision. Accuracy is how close you get to the actual value of what you're measuring. Precision is how close your multiple measurements center around the whatever value you're determining.

For example: you are weighing something that you know is 10.0 grams. If your five measurements are 9.9, 10.0, 10.1, 10.0, 10.0 then you're both accurate and (pretty) precise. If you get something like 11.0, 11.1, 11.0, 11.0, 10.9, then you're not very accurate, but you are precise (i.e. consistent). If you get 5.0, 5.0, 10.0, 15.0, 15.0, then you're accurate (averages to 10.0), but not precise. If you get 5.0, 10.0, 15.0, 19.1, and 13.5 you're neither accurate or precise.

When buying a scale, you want accuracy and precision. Particularly for coins, you want a scale that gives you both accuracy and precision, and at both low and high masses. Some cheaper scales will give you a different measurement of weight based on where on the tray (i.e. corners vs. center) you place the object to be weighed. Those sort of scales should be avoided, but even some of the higher-priced scales will have that problem, so test it before you're committed to keeping it.

Always be sure your scale is on a level surface free from breezes (particularly important for a highly sensitive balance). Also be sure you've properly tared it (calibrated it so that zero represents the balance in its empty state or with an empty weigh boat on it).

And remember - measure twice, cut once (or for coins: measure several times, average, and decide whether it's real)
  • coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    I posted this in response to a similar thread on the lightside:

<< <i>One more thing: this one measures within .001 grams, which is crucial for determining counterfeit coins. I found my first counterfeit this week, unfortunately image >>

Actually the scale you linked to above measured to 0.1 g, not .001 g... off by 2 decimal places.

For coins, you want one that goes to .01 g (hundredth of a gram) if possible.

I originally had purchased the first one below, but after a while the .05g accuracy got annoying, plus I found it to get a bit wonky and not calibrate consistently.

About 3 months ago, I purchased this one, accurate to .01g. Lower maximum weight, so it's not good for weighing stacks of coins, but for single coins it's great. Runs $40-50.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr. Ed the talking numismatist... Wwwwwiiiiiiiilbbbbbbbeeeeerrrrr

• 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This works pretty well for an inexpensive scale. - Preussen >>

I use the MX-200, which is 0.1g readings and 200g max. Got it for about $10. The MX-300 looks to be much better. Edit to add: just re-read the link, it too only measures to 0.1g. It only has 100g more capacity. So not sure if it is better.

I use a Sunbeam SP5 that has 1g increments with a max of 2.2kg (5 lbs) for heavier stuff.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • I bought a Digiweigh it has 0.01g accuracy I blogged all about it here LINK

I still like it and it works very well.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the responses. I plan to buy one within the next 30days