Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1951 topps ringside..the secret is out

Boxing may hit its stride next year. The movement on PSA 7s and up are on the rise. I have always thought it was a wonderful set to complete ( some regional shortprints seem to exist)' A few nights ago, a Gino Buonvino in PSA 7 sold for 409.04!!!!!Many PSA 7 commons are in the 30.00 to 35.00 range and up and selling. PSA 5s and 6S are still very reasonable. I wish that that we would have a current price guide devoted to Boxing. Anyone wanting to try something new this year might want to put together a graded or non graded set. They are still affordable and really nice cards......Happy New Year Everyone...Spazzy

Comments

• GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    T218's have been going thru the roof for the last year-often tripling or more.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    boxing is a quickly dying sport that has become boring and utterly unmarketable....

julen
    RIP GURU

• << <i>Boxing may hit its stride next year. The movement on PSA 7s and up are on the rise. I have always thought it was a wonderful set to complete ( some regional shortprints seem to exist)' A few nights ago, a Gino Buonvino in PSA 7 sold for 409.04!!!!!Many PSA 7 commons are in the 30.00 to 35.00 range and up and selling. PSA 5s and 6S are still very reasonable. I wish that that we would have a current price guide devoted to Boxing. Anyone wanting to try something new this year might want to put together a graded or non graded set. They are still affordable and really nice cards......Happy New Year Everyone...Spazzy >>

I agree. So you can imagine what the less fashionable and harder to find sets will do.

Arthur
    they will sell for big bucks after somebody dies in ufc or k1 or whatever MMA sanctioned event and they are forced to close down, giving boxing the driver's seat again....

nah doubt it

julen
    RIP GURU
  • Just about all vintage boxing cards seem to have risen sharply in value over the past few years. I can see it as I have just re-entered the hobby.

I started collecting about 7 years ago and bought my first cards. I then stopped for about 5 years and am now getting back into it. Upon my return cards that I bought for $30 are selling for $100+, and cards I could have bought for $800 (ie I missed out on a John L N174 for that price a few years back) are selling for thousands.
    Even a 1901 Ogdens James J Jeffries in almost mint condition that I picked up for $20 when I started - I just saw one sell for $90.

Mind you vintage boxing memorabilia in general has elevated greatly. I sold some of my collection of old memorabilia, including cabinet cards, programs, etc and I got probably 2-3 times more than I originally paid for it. I know cards/memorabilia/etc generally rise in value over years, but it seems that boxing stuff has risen pretty quickly over only a short period of time.

I have probably 25 or so Topps Ringside cards, ungraded, and including the Murphy and Marciano cards in pretty good nick and have been thinnking about putting together the set. This thread may just motivate me that little bit extra image

As for the price guide, I know Adam Warshaw is about to release his next one soon, but it would be impossible to keep up with current sales as some cards are being bought for what I see as ridiculous amounts.
    www.boxingcarddigest.com
  • Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
  • Mike Tyson just got arrested again. That's enough to make me want to collect boxing. image
  • spazzyspazzy Posts: 592 ✭✭

<< <i>boxing is a quickly dying sport that has become boring and utterly unmarketable....

jule
    n[/q

Yes but still wonderful to collect when vintage

<< <i>Just about all vintage boxing cards seem to have risen sharply in value over the past few years. I can see it as I have just re-entered the hobby.

I started collecting about 7 years ago and bought my first cards. I then stopped for about 5 years and am now getting back into it. Upon my return cards that I bought for $30 are selling for $100+, and cards I could have bought for $800 (ie I missed out on a John L N174 for that price a few years back) are selling for thousands.
    Even a 1901 Ogdens James J Jeffries in almost mint condition that I picked up for $20 when I started - I just saw one sell for $90.

Mind you vintage boxing memorabilia in general has elevated greatly. I sold some of my collection of old memorabilia, including cabinet cards, programs, etc and I got probably 2-3 times more than I originally paid for it. I know cards/memorabilia/etc generally rise in value over years, but it seems that boxing stuff has risen pretty quickly over only a short period of time.

I have probably 25 or so Topps Ringside cards, ungraded, and including the Murphy and Marciano cards in pretty good nick and have been thinnking about putting together the set. This thread may just motivate me that little bit extra image

As for the price guide, I know Adam Warshaw is about to release his next one soon, but it would be impossible to keep up with current sales as some cards are being bought for what I see as ridiculous amounts. >>

Keep us informed on the price guide..I would be interested...Spazzy
  • A lot of people would be interested. The 3rd Edition has been sold out for some time now and I'm eagerly awaiting the 4th installment.

Very eagerly.

Arthur
  • halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭
    SHHHHHHHHHH! I'm still buying these cards. Let's not heat the market up any more than it already is just yet.
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards

• << <i>they will sell for big bucks after somebody dies in ufc or k1 or whatever MMA sanctioned event and they are forced to close down, giving boxing the driver's seat again....

nah doubt it

julen >>

Cause nobody ever died in the ring in Boxing right?>
  • I'm loving these boxing cards and add to my collection whenever I can. imageimage
    i don't know about anybody ever getting killed in mma before...

i totally support vintage anything collectibles, i am only bagging on modern boxing as we know it.

i used to LOVE boxing, my uncle coaches gold gloves and i have seen many an amateur fight. so i support grass roots level boxing and pay my filthy $$$$$ to watch pacquiao, de la hoya, taylor and other bums fight today, but that still doesn't make boxing sellable or fan friendly.

julen
    RIP GURU
  • helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    I dunno. Tyson's A&G autograph still sells for $200+, but the sport seems to have no big names the general public latches onto anymore. I doubt more than 1 in 100 people could tell you who the heavyweight champion is, once the most coveted title in sport. Without that sort of name recognition, people don't get interested in the sport, and fewer still will be interested in the hobby. So I don't think you'll see an upswing in the market in general. However, in a hobby as small as this, you don't need to have a large influx of people to have short-term positive movement, but it helps if you want to have a permanent or even sustained movement. That a few people have anecdotally driven an auction up is a function of the registry, if anything, and not necessarily an indicator for the market. If something close to that price is held for the next 3 or 4 up for auction then it'll be a good trend. Till then, just keep buying if you feel good about it. Looking at the checklist for '51 Ringside, I recognize maybe 15-20 names. But I love that design, very similar to contemporary Bowmans, and find myself perusing ebay. A few more guys like me and it could have some sort of effect.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • metalmikemetalmike Posts: 2,152 ✭✭
    Exactly what is vintage WWF?
    USN 1977-1987 * ALL cards are commons unless auto'd. Buying Britneycards. NWO for life.
  • pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>i don't know about anybody ever getting killed in mma before...
    >>

next month when mirko fights someone might die
    ·p_A·

I love this card. It has that impromptu feel, like the photographer went to his house looking for him, found him in the backyard warming up and asked for a quick photo. He throws his jacket on the back porch and strikes a pose.
    No so sure- same pose, different background:

Not uncommon in T9's and T218's
    imageimage

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Maybe, hard to say if it's exactly the same or similar. There are minor differences, his head looks like an egg in the second one. I'm sure artists took liberty with these cards anyway. Even if they were based on photo's, they could draw them however they wanted to for the card. Vintage boxing has some of the best cards around IMHO.
  • I see why the second guy took up boxing. Honey Mellody! Yikes! Why not just name your kid Sissy Boy and be done with it!
    Remember a boy named Sue? Made him a lot tougher. I would figure Mike Tyson initially got a lot of grief for his high voice, until they saw his right hook (not to mention his bite).

Two more cards went way over smr on ebay last night....Pete Mead went for 227.50 and Joe Gans went for 177.50. Both were in psa 7 condition. Vintage boxing is just rocking along in '07!!! There are very reasonable priced card in psa 5 or 6. The 7s are just unbelievable right now....spazzy
  • scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Two more cards went way over smr on ebay last night....Pete Mead went for 227.50 and Joe Gans went for 177.50. Both were in psa 7 condition. Vintage boxing is just rocking along in '07!!! There are very reasonable priced card in psa 5 or 6. The 7s are just unbelievable right now....spazzy >>

I noticed the trend in PSA 7's on the T-218's last spring. Common boxer T-218's routinely sell over $200 when SMR is $80 - I got close to $300 for a Gans PSA 7 last June. But the track and field athletes routinely sell 2x and higher SMR in high grade. So with the T-218 set, it isn't just a boxing thing - it's a high-grade thing with vintage cards which have recently (past 12-18 months) begun being priced in the SMR.
    Last night a Carlos Chavez psa 7 sold for 432.50. This one was bought by ebayer who has been buying selected 51 Ringside but not necessarly high priced. This one he opened the purse strings!!
  • kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    How many are in this set?

I won the rocky marciano last night in psa 4 for 147$.. i couldnt find smr value on it. but i hope i didnt overpay to much?
  • Seems like boxing is still very, very cheap relative to baseball or the other big sports.

What's the most expensive pre war boxing card? The equivalent of a Mint 9 Goudey Ruth or T206 Cobb?
  • kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    bump.... anyone no the smr value of a psa 4 marciano? and how many cards in this set?
  • pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Seems like boxing is still very, very cheap relative to baseball or the other big sports.

What's the most expensive pre war boxing card? The equivalent of a Mint 9 Goudey Ruth or T206 Cobb? >>

probably a Leaf Rocky Graziano..
    ·p_A·
    Got to be the Graziano. I believe there are only 4 known.
    edited to say - except it's post war ('48). Would have to check Adam Warshaw's book to see what the most expensive pre War is, but I doubt it would top the Graziano.

According to vintagecardprices.com there have been 2 sales of the Ringside Marciano in PSA 4- your win yesterday for 147.50 and another on 9.1 for $127.50 If you did overpay (and as someone was willing to go to 125. I don't think you did) it sure wasn't by much.

• I don't follow pre war boxing at all.

A T218 Jack Johnson books at $800 in NM-MT. A T220 Sullivan in Mint 9 at $2,500 (although these are obviously absurdly low if any ever came up for sale).

When you compare that to a T206 Cobb or Walter Johnson for $10 or $15 k in PSA 8, or similar pre WWI cards, boxing still has alot of upside potential.

The 51 Ringside has 96 cards. You can grab a checklist on the PSA Registry site under Misc Sports and spin down 1951 ringside and click on it. Its not easy to get a few cards like #1 and a few others.
  • was doing some reading and stumbled across this .... GREAT overview of vintage boxing cards:

Vintage Boxing

-Tom
    - Building these sets:
    ------- 1960 Topps Baseball PSA 8+
    ------- 1985 Topps Hockey PSA 9+