Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Value of bulk cards?

I have about 10K cards I want to donate to a charity, mostly from the late 80s and early 90s, both hockey and baseball, including Topps, UD, O-Pee-Chee and Score. Any ideas what they are worth? A penny apiece? Two cents? It's mostly common stuff, but there are a few complete sets. Any ideas will be appreciated! Thanks!

JoHoNew

Comments

• Options
    I used mine to start camp fires !! Works great !!
    Steve
    Die Hard Toronto Maple Leafs Fan !!
  • Options
    Commons would maybe be a tenth of a cent a piece.
    My sets:
    1977 Topps Star Wars - "Space Swashbucklers"
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think anyone would question you if you declared them a penny a card. Most non-collectors think anything pre-1990 is vintage anyway, so if the IRS ever questioned it, they'd probably ask why the cards weren't worth more!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    For tax purposes, could you just pull out a Beckett and use their common pricing? Does that hold up?
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Use the low Beckett price for the complete sets. Call the other stuff a penny apiece (which is low Beckett or lower on just about every set). You have a good argument on your side (after all, Beckett is a well-known, widely respected independent authority), and those aren't the sort of values IRS auditors even want to argue over in the first place.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    Thanks to those responding. I felt that a penny or two would be reasonable, but it's always nice to have confirmation. Thanks again and Happy New Year!

JoHoNew