Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The year in review and new years resolutions(in regards to collecting)

I thought it would be interesting to see what the top additions/highlights to your collections were this past year and what some of your resolutions in regards to collecting are for the upcoming year.

my highlight of 2006 was going to the Pro Football HOF induction and meeting my two favorite players-Roger Staubach and Troy Aikman and getting their autographs on a full size helmet. A special thrill was having my 6 year old son shake Troy's hand...mine too

my resolutions for 2007 is to

1) Encourage my son's involvement in the hobby....I was six when I started to collect, so hopefully my passion and love for the hobby will continue with him.

2) To purchase a 1950 Bowman Joe Perry, a 1951 Bowman Norm Van Brocklin, and a 1948 Bowman Bulldog Turner in PSA/SGC 6-7 for the right prices to add to my collection!

3) Sell off the doubles of 1948,1950,1951 football cards that I keep meaning to sell to get more cash to buy those cards in resolution #2.

4) Keep buying Vintage Bowmans and have a great time doing it!!!!!

5) Even though very busy with work and family..keep active on this forum......you guys are a great group of people and its great to find others who share the passion.

Comments

• Options
    You know, this is a great idea to set up some goals -- especially when you have to fit your purchases into a budget.

You've inspired me BDB! You've set some realistic goals the way it looks, so you should'nt get too discouraged if things don't work out...
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great thread BDB!

well my goals for this upcoming year will be;

1) To finish some player sets I have started.
    2) I recently purchased a partial set of 51 Bowman baseball (raw) that I will try to complete this year.
    3) Lately I have been thinking of trading off part of my collection for a 1952 topps Mantle (low grade).

My resolution for the year will be to stay focused on these things, instead of being all over the place.
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    1. I ordered some UltraPro archival material, so now its time to make sure all my cards are in those platinum sleeves in a 400ct box at the very least and put in order by year and brand. Those UltraPro Platinums are the best I have seen--all uniform in size, safe and no plastic particulate matter imbedded in the sleeves that can dent cards. (I'll be wearing cotton gloves while doing this since handling cards with raw fingers gets oil on them)

2. Enter in all my PSA cards on excel data base so I know what I have, where it came from and when, purchase price, etc. Also put each PSA slab in a resealable slab bag (I also ordered the UltraPro product).

3. Shrink wrap unopened wax boxes for extra protection

4. Get more cards on my want list

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    My new years resolutions are:

1. To find out how to put my own logo on this site.

2. To continue to improve the sports card incentive plan at my school.

3. To make this year the year to forget the missed opportunity of 2001 - and to forget the 'wish-I-missed' opportunity of 2001.
    "To clarify - I convinced my fiance at the time - wife now - to let me buy a couple of cases of cards. I had narrowed it down to 2001 Golf upper deck - which was supposedly short printed - and 2001 Prospect Premieres - as a fantasy baseball buff - I knew of the talent in there then...and now it hurts when I think about it...of course I fed into the bologna of the golf - and have been resenting that move every Summer when Wright and Howard's cards continue to go up in value! Any cures for these kinds of decisions? Can anyone help me get rid of resolution number 1?
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Resolution....

In any order:

1. Lose weight.

2. Lose Weight.

3. Lose WEIGHT.

4. LOSE WEIGHT.

5. LOSE WEIGHT.

Mike
  • Options
    Good Question....I want to continue building my 71/72 opc nhl set and make it the highest ever...

Secondly, I love buying any High grade Hockey cards Raw or graded from 51 to 81......I love them all...

And the most ambitious plans I have for the future....start getting some of the rookie players from
    the NFL and Baseball which I grew up with.....Reggie Jackson, Roger Staubach, Namath, Thurman Munson,
    Johnny Unitas, Terry Bradshaw, etc etc.....

Of course, this is predicated that I continue to make ok money???? Ha ha ha .....
  • Options
    eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    In no particular order I would like to:

- complete my raw '71-72 and '72-73 OPC hockey sets (10 years is long enough!!!)

- complete my graded '70 CFL Push-out insert set and get it on the registry. I have several raw cards to be sent in for grading, and I am waiting for several other high grade cards that I won recently to arrive from 4SC. When I get it on the registry it will be the highest graded set.....then again it will be the only graded set. Oh well, have to start somewhere I guess.

- start a mid-grade non-sport set. I find many of these '60s/'70s set very nice to look at, and many conjure up great memories of my youth (for example, I cannot count the number of times I went to bed dreaming of Marcia Brady or Laurie Partridge image). There are lots of sets from these programs: Batman, Rat Patrol, Green Hornet, Beverly Hillbillies, Get Smart, etc. and I would like to start on one of them.

All the best to everybody in '07.

Eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough