Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

SGC to PSA Crossover - Mixed Results for a couple of 1950's and 1960's

I recently cashed in my PSA Subscription Renewal Certificate and submitted a couple of Hoyt Wilhelm's that I bought as SGC graded cards with VERY mixed results:

Submitted / Result:
1957 #203 Hoyt Wilhelm SGC 88 (PSA 8) / Not Holdered, Evidence of Trimming
1962 #423 Hoyt Wilhem Rival Aces SGC 84 (PSA 7) / PSA 8
1964 #13 Hoyt Wilhelm SGC 88 (PSA 8) / PSA 8

I cracked the cases and resleeved in a penny sleeve and Card Saver II prior to submission.

I'm not disappointed at all with the results of the cards that were graded, but it is unlike SGC to miss a trimmed card. I even checked this card with other 1950's era cards as well as modern cards to size and I feel like it should have passed.

Any results out there from doing the same?

Thanks for the read...Mike

Comments

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always interesting to read about crossover attempts. Win some, lose some is par for the course. What will you do with the 57 HW?
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    samspopsamspop Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭
    I have thought about sending it to BGS or back to SGC for grading, but I will probably sell it on Flea-Bay. I have a pretty good selection of Wilhelm raw cards that I have accumulated, as well as a few graded cards that I need to get rid of.
  • Options
    Are you selling the 64 Topps?
    "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"
    (If you want peace, prepare for War).........Semper Fi
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    If you think the card that came back trimmed looks fine and SGC said it was fine - resubmit it. It might come back graded the second time around.
  • Options
  • Options
    I will be keeping the '64 Topps. It was added to my Wilhelm Registries today.

I don't know if you are looking for '64 Topps specifically or if you are looking for Wilhelm, but I have a 1959 #349 PSA 7 Wilhelm and 1968 #350 PSA 8 Wilhelm that I am looking to move.

Mike
  • Options
    Thanks Mike, i was needing that card in my 64 set. Have a great new year.............Rob
    "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"
    (If you want peace, prepare for War).........Semper Fi
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    When they say a card it trimmed, they are not always right. I once sent it a 1979 Topps Ozzie Smith RC that came back trimmed. Problem is that I pulled it straight out of a Rack Pack. A wax pack, maybe, but not a rack. You can't reseal a rack (that I know of). I'd resubmit the card is SGC said it was good once.
  • Options
    On one of my recent submissions I sent two 1970 Reggie Jackson cards (both ungraded) - one came back graded (bought at a card shop) the other one ungraded - evidence of trimming. The "trimmed" card came out of a pack and been in personal collection since 1970. Comparing the two cards I could see no measureable difference between the length or width. I may send it in again as it is a nice card. This was not a crossover - just my experience. Rick
    "I CAN'T COMPLAIN BUT SOMETIMES I STILL DO" - SMOKY JOE WALSH - - -
    Always looking for 53 Topps Baseball and "stuff"