Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

anyone see one of these Prussian coins around lately?

I'm having a hard time finding this fairly common Prussian coin in nice UNC condition (would like MS65 or so). Anyone see one on the 'net, in their local shops or travels lately that would be willing to point me to it? I found a decent one listed on the 'bay, but i think it is a slider and not true UNC (the example pictured). thanks all!

1914-A 5 Marks Prussia (Wilhelm II military bust)

Comments

• Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    Board member Danglen was very helpful to me several years ago when I was buying Prussian crowns. He has a shop. Give him a try.
  • Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭
    As you're learning, this type is not so common in high grade (above MS63). PCGS has graded no MS65s of the type (1913 & 1914) and NGC has graded only one example of each year in MS65. These two are in my collection image. I recently sold my MS64s of the type, and I still have a 1913 PCGS Proof 63 DCAM I might part with image. Good Luck. - Preussen

Edited to add: Here are quick scans of my "extra" 1913 Proof. Sorry about posting scans, but my pics really suck lately image
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508
    Yikes!

I didn't realize so few higher grades were out there! Maybe i'll have to reset my sights a bit lower condition wise. thanks for the info!

Doug
  • Options
    3Mark3Mark Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    As a aside, I will pay at least 3X Krause for the 1914A Prussia 3 mark that will grade MS65 at PCGS (none graded this high). I know of one gem and it's in Preussen's collection (NGC MS66)image I have looked for these coins for a number of years both here and in Germany and for some reason the 1914A 3&5 mark doesn't come in gem and no one seems to know the reason. BTW, the 1914A Prussia 3&5 mark in proof are also very rare in gem proof and I paid 5X Krause for my PCGS PR65 (Heritage) and is the highest graded at PCGS and only 65 or better. At NGC, there is one graded PR65 and Preussen has that one, but mine is betterimage3Mark
    I'm traveling on memory and running out of fuel.
  • Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

<< <i>At NGC, there is one graded PR65 and Preussen has that one, but mine is betterimage3Mark >>

image Paying "moon money" doesn't make it better image - Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions