Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Israel coins?

Are Israelie(sp) coins worth anything beside face? I was thinking of buying a 1973 mint set and wondered if it was a good idea.
Molon Labe

Comments

• Options
    Collector value of a coin, or set, depends on date, number minted and its condition as well as collector demand for it.
    There were 97,107 of the '73 Mint Sets made that year and Standard Catalog of World Coins (try a library) estimated value is $4.
    If you want the set and have about that much to spend on it (and shipping charges are reasonable) then I'd say go for it. Collect for the fun of it.
    Brad
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. Its on ebay for $3.50 + $3.25 shipping.
    Molon Labe
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't want to discourage you but the market for modern Israeli is virtiually non-existent. Many
    of these sets sell for less than the cheapest poundage. It's a shame really because they are very
    underrated. Quality of the sets is superb and they aren't as extremely common as the market
    indicates; there just isn't any demand.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    True.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    You could probably find one at a local coin shop or show for the same price as the one on eBay and save on shipping. Or you can look around for a bulk deal -- I got a dozen different Israel mint sets for less than $2 a set from a local dealer.