Home Metal Detecting
Options

December sure is productive (contains silver and (sort of) gold)

December just keeps on giving more stuff!
Due to the holidays I've had a lot of time, and the weather has been permissive, so I've metal detected myself silly during the last couple of days..

I'll start with the mandatory pic (I need more variety!)

Then some of the loot (excluding approx. 25 pieces of 1800's coppers, most of which 1860's (from one area) and 1890's (from another area))
(Edit: Here's a picture of a representative example of one of these)

Silver ring (0.813 silver). Date stamp 1901

Perpetual calendar (perpetuum calendarium), gold plated.
I should try and figure out which point in time it's frozen in... most coins I found in this area were 1860's.

Decorative button

Well preserved massive square nail

A cufflink and a pin with Finnish and Soviet flags

This one I haven't yet figured out. It intrigues me as the area I found it in has lots of history (going back to the 1500's, primarily serving as a harbor, with old anchor points for ships still to be seen. Any thoughts?

A silver coin too, but not one that I would have expected..
I only found it due to digging a shallow trash target that was sitting right on top of the coin.
Rechecking the hole, there was a nice signal a couple of inches further down image

Here's where it was found:

British 1 Shilling 1942 (0.500 silver)
I think the toning is pretty sweet - particularly the reverse. Not too bad for a dug coin! image

Thanks for looking!
Happy hunting!

-Z
Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro

Comments

• Options
    Great post Zot!
    The perpetual calendar is really cool! The decorative button is a beaut as well!

This looks very interesting! Possibly an early buckle?
    Has a loosely close resemblance of some found at the following link. (check out Part Three
    Saxon Sixth and Seventh century ) Just a stab in the dark.

Link (scroll to bottom of page and click the link back to CJ'S Metal detecting page. Then click on "Buckles Through The Ages")

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Oh dear God, all I can say is this: YOU SUCK, BIG TIME!!! image
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    Nice finds! That shilling is sweet!
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That little buckle thingie looks way old, for sure. It could date as far back as the settlement of your area, if you're talkin' 1500s at the earliest. But it could be as late as the 19th century. I would imagine it to be somewhere in the middle, perhaps 17th or 18th century. Just a wild guess. I was struck by its resemblance to early and medieval British Saxon and Roman finds, as John pointed out.

Very sweet shilling- I too have found one of those, here in the USA- go figure. Probably came back with a WW2 soldier. Mine is also from the early 1940s- can't recall if it has the "English" or "Scottish" reverse on it- but it is not as nicely-preserved as yours is.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.