Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Have you ever damaged your own card?

I dont know how it happened but I found a "tack or pinhole" through the top loader, through the poster and out the back of a 68 topps cepeda poster-I am clueless on how it happened....I also ripped a 64 stand up while cracking it out of a psa holder-the tool, a plexiglass cutter to pry open the holder slipped and cut the card..it was a common...2 damaged cards in a year..and I am a careful person! glad it wasnt a super star scott

Comments

• Options
    i once accidently let a sighned JOHNNY SAIN 52 topps card go through the wash...man was i mad...
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    I accidently burned a Darryl Strawberry rookie card when it was a big deal back around 1986.

Oh wait, that was no mistake. I was 13, a Yankees fan and trying to prove a point to a friend who was a Mets fan image
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭
    Too many to talk about.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    I was getting a very nice 1960 Topps Bobby Shantz ready to send to PSA - perfect centering, high gloss, just a real pretty card. Certainly an 8, possibly a 9. As I was taking it out of the original Card Saver II to put into a Card Saver I it slipped out of my hand...right on one of the corners, of course.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    Yes several......
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    i popped open a psa 6 '69 reggie jackson w/ butter knife and stabbed fuqing corner w/ the butter knife!!!!

stupidity at its best or worst...

julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>i popped open a psa 6 '69 reggie jackson w/ butter knife and stabbed fuqing corner w/ the butter knife!!!!

stupidity at its best or worst...

julen >>

Same thing, diffrent card, screwdriver
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    This is why I'll never break a card out of a graded holder.

I left an assortment of loose Sunoco stamps in my jacket pocket back in '78 or so, which eighty-sixed the lion's share of my collection of them when the jacket went through the wash. Probably 40-50 of them.
  • Options
    Emmitt Smith.

Confused? Give it a minute. image

Arthur
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭
    Here's one of my crack out casualties.

EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭
    I had a T 206 Christy Mathewson white cap framed with a early 1900's magazine article (because the article had a picture same pose as the card). It was one of my favorite cards, looked sweet framed.

We had just moved into a new house and I had yet to finish unboxing everything, so the frame was in my basement, on the floor, leaned against the wall.

I'm away at a concert when my ex decides to do laundry then go shopping. While she was gone something in the washer stuck open and water flooded my basement. Christy got a bath and a nice stain on his white cap. image
    Looking for Carl Willey items.
  • Options
    CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    Yup, me too cracking a card from a PSA holder.
    Fortunately, it was a Hudson from 1999 Ultimate
    Victory, I think. (PSA 6 or 7)

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • Options
    A few months ago, my lazy a$$ wrecked a perfectly good PSA 9 1976 Craig Nettles. I have cracked a few cards before with nary an issue, but this one cracked weird and creased the card.

The lazy part comes because the card had a badly scratched holder and rather than fill out a separate sheet and sub for the re-holder, I decided I would just crack it and send it in with the others for a 1972-present $5 special. I figured the worst the would happen would that I would just end up with another 9 in a pristine holder. Lucky it was only a $20 card.

I did the same thing with a 1980 Foster PSA 9. The card practically jumped out of the holder with no issues...other than it came back an 8 the second time around.
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    yes two very nice 59 topps while removing from a gai holder.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    QUITCRABQUITCRAB Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭
    I feel a little better now!!!
  • Options
    I just got a Topps Rookie Mattingly and then left it in a shirt pocket and the wife decided to do the wash and now I have a nice clean Mattingly rookie....
    On the Yankee Bandwagon since April 22nd, 1979 (my first game).
    ______
    Collecting all Yankees especially:
    Thurman Munson, Yogi Berra, Melky Cabrera!

For my son:
    Derek Jeter and Jorge Posada

MY Baseball Card Page
    My Player Collection Needs
  • Options
    Opened my mail on the porch and left it. Well my dog chewed on my Alex Gordon cutout. Good thing I paid $15 for it before price was crazy.

Another time I had a card in a envelope to give my boys as a reward and I wanted to open it and put more cards in so I grabbed the scissors. Well, I trimmed it real good !!!
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    rounding3rdrounding3rd Posts: 287 ✭✭✭
    Yep...I was trying to crack out a '52 Bowman from a GAI holder and my "tool of choice" slipped and gouged the back of the card. I try not to crack out cards anymore.

-Mike
    Working on Baseball HOF Autograph Set Registry
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,272 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zef, I need that Kemp for my 61 set. If you don't want it to remind you of how you hurt it, PM me. Joe
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭
    Oh! Ouch! Sorry to hear of these experiences. image

I know tackling a stubborn slab can be most frustrating. What's worked well for me with coins, and probably would do well with cards, is to slowly crack all four seams by carefully closing a vise on them (such as what you'd see on an old workbench like my dad's.)

I have a '62 Frank Robinson in a BVG slab (not particularly high grade, like an EX-MT) that I want raw, that I may try this with. The BVG slabs are among the most stubborn...
  • Options
    At least Zef hit him right in the numbers. image

I used to play with my C55 Vezina when I was a kid, now I try and forget how nice it used to be. image

• Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725

<< <i>I accidently burned a Darryl Strawberry rookie card when it was a big deal back around 1986.

Oh wait, that was no mistake. I was 13, a Yankees fan and trying to prove a point to a friend who was a Mets fan image >>

I actually had a very similar experience wherein I accidentally burnt several hundred Bill Buckner cards over the course of several years and always on his birthday.

I'm over it now though. Mostly. (I know, I know, it wasn't all his fault anyway.)
  • Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I used to play with my C55 Vezina when I was a kid >>

So that's what they call it in Canada ! image
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Emmitt Smith.

Arthur >>

I cant do it Arthur. The pain is still too fresh. I need time to grieve image

Whatever, I received a nice raw auto'd Emmitt card yesterday. 100% a psa 9, maybe a 10. It was in a toploader with tape on top. I used a knife instead of my razor(which I always use) and cut the tape then slipped and stabbed emmitt.

I still have not damaged a card cracking slabs though image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Emmitt Smith.

Arthur >>

I cant do it Arthur. The pain is still too fresh. I need time to grieve image

Whatever, I received a nice raw auto'd Emmitt card yesterday. 100% a psa 9, maybe a 10. It was in a toploader with tape on top. I used a knife instead of my razor(which I always use) and cut the tape then slipped and stabbed emmitt.

I still have not damaged a card cracking slabs though image >>

I was starting to think that the batteries in the Motorola ES22 had died. image

Arthur
  • Options
    I have damaged cards on purpose, in order to obtain a PSA 1 through 10 set of a specific issue.......
  • Options

<< <i>I used to play with my C55 Vezina when I was a kid, now I try and forget how nice it used to be. >>

I may be off by a year or two, but my calculations put your age around 108 (?)