Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Ok..I did it. I started the 33 Goudeys. Argggg

damn you guys!image

I swore I wouldn't get into these cards when I started selling that stuff for my dad.....but when I had some of my grandfather's old Goudeys holdered by PSA I really loved the look of those cards.

These aren't high dollar ones or anything but a small start.

Comments

• Their Beautiful cards Enjoy every second of building that great set!!
    Always Buying & Collecting 1957 Topps Baseball 1914 cj,s 1978 bb and any Hof bb
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Goose,

I fight that same urge nearly every day. I've been limiting myself to the hall of famers, but a couple of days ago, I bid on and won a Charlie Root card from the '33 set. I'm tellin' myself that he's a special case since he's the pitcher who gave up The Babe's "called shot" in the '33 World Series, but I'm just not sure if that's gonna be able to stop me from going further down the road of crazinessimage

Steve
  • lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    Nice cards Goose......image
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Goose, welcome to the club! It's always been my favorite set. What brought me in were the Babe Ruth cards, and then the tremendous color of the set just wowed me over. Enjoy those cards!

<< <i>I bid on and won a Charlie Root card from the '33 set. I'm tellin' myself that he's a special case since he's the pitcher who gave up The Babe's "called shot" in the '33 World Series, but I'm just not sure if that's gonna be able to stop me from going further down the road of crazinessimage >>

Steve, here are a couple other interesting tidbits of non-HOF players/cards from the set:

67 Guy Bush, gave up Babe Ruth's 714th and last HR.
    78 Jack Quinn, the only player to be shown in both the T206 and the 1933 Goudey set as a player. Eddie Collins, Napoleon Lajoie and Tris Speaker were also in both sets, but they weren't active players when featured in the Goudey set
    158 Mo Berg, he was a backup catcher and did nothing special on the field. But he was a spy for the U.S. during WWII and led an unusualy life. "The Catcher is a Spy" was written about him.
    184 Charley Berry, I am not completely sure, but in my limited research, I believe he is the same Charley Berry that is in the College Football Hall of Fame.
  • MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    "heh,heh"...(looking through a telescope)...."we got ourselves another one, Ma...."
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Goose those are great looking cards. I have started to collect the T206's, but it seems like and endless task. Everytime I see someone post those Goudeys it makes me want to sell off the T206's and start this set. I was torn between the 2 in the begining but now.....image

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • By the way is there an official 33 Goudey thread? If not maybe you could start one Goose.

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Those Goudeys are great, I never get tired of looking at them.
  • Goudeys are great and one of the few sets minus the real big ones is actually affordable in Pre-war cards. You are off to a great start and what you have are very solid grades.
    If they are in the Hall they are in my collection
  • welcome to the club i only have 3 cards and they are great welcome welcome.
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • I think you are doing a great thing Goose3! Holder those 33 goudeys and don't sell them! Your progeny will stare in amazement!! card collectiing is a generational past time!! I wish I had a parent who could have entrusted me with their rare and beautiful cards!! But as a youth from South central LA I guess it wasn't meant to be. Yet, it doesn't mean I can't emulate something similar to what your Grandfather started! Thanks to my education and credit cards I can do that now!
  • Goose, that's awsome, can't wait to see you put it together. I dream of that set and putting it together.
    "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"
    (If you want peace, prepare for War).........Semper Fi
  • It's an awesome set. I did about 40% of it before I sold mine. This thread made me look it up on EBay and then I realized there was just a $.15 listing day. There is so much overpriced stuff on there now I had to turn it off. Good luck

Red

Looking for 81-84 Topps Stickers in PSA 9 or better, 81 Topps Scratch offs, 83 Topps Fold outs in PSA 8 or better, 83 Fleer Stamps and 81/86 Fleer Star Stickers in PSA 9 or better.
    >

• originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭✭
    cmoking, I have that Guy Bush #67 raw - didn't know that he served up Babe's last homer. Cool!

As for you goose - good luck! You're hooked now. image
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cmoking.....

You're NOT helpingimage

imageimage

Actually, I was aware of Moe Berg's claim to fame and have thought of picking up one of his cards. I wasn't aware though of the others you mentioned...Thanks! image (I thinkimage )

Edited to add: Quinn could be a particular problem, as T206 is my other collecting "albatross". It is in fact, even MORE of a problem for me to limit my collection, as it's the only set I like more than '33 Goudey! I have all the T206 HOFers (except Wagner and Plank), and can't even imagine trying to collect all T206's image

Steve
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    It's true, Cmoking is sort of at fault here!

The pictured cards are enroute from him!!! The scoundrel!!!image

I must say, Damn those are some nice scans you take Cmoking!
  • Goose nice cards!!!

HI... I am new to this forum but have been reading the blogs for months and figured nows the time to get involved with my 2 cents.
    This is a great set and I am glad to share my set with all those that have been afraid to start this challenging set. I was a collector in the 70-90's then got out when the sets out numbered the players. Now with the advent of the "bay", I have the opportunity to collect at a reasonable price.

So for those of you that think that it is unreasonable to get this set (90%+), I invite you to check out my cards at "poormans 33" on the 33 goudey registry (#22 ranked). These are not the best cards but what I can afford. As a kid it was all about the card and not the condition. So, this set is for the "baseball kid" in all of us!!!

I am still upgrading and filling the holes in the set.

So, enjoy the cards and I will be seeing you all around. image
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies
  • Great stuff Goose - good luck with the set - it's a classic!!!
    C56, V252, V128-1 sets
    Hall of Famers from all 4 sports
  • 1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Good luck Goose - great choice of set!

collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Jamesgotpoorman I am posting your pics for ya. Those are some great looking cards! Your pictures:

JDRF Donation
  • gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Good luck Goose. Even thought I don't collect baseball, the 33 Goudy is an amazing set.

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Thanks Bunker.

I am still learning this blog jargen.
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies
  • Nice set. image
  • helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    Good start. Those red backgrounds looks sweet, I'm so tempted to dive into that set.

Anyone notice there's a new #1 in the 33G registry, .01 better than Merkel? Of course the set's closed, but a new #1 in a big 3 set has got to be amazing.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay

• << <i>Good start. Those red backgrounds looks sweet, I'm so tempted to dive into that set.

Anyone notice there's a new #1 in the 33G registry, .01 better than Merkel? Of course the set's closed, but a new #1 in a big 3 set has got to be amazing. >>

It's interesting that S D Irelands set is closed, yet his '33 goudey HOF set is open.

'33 Goudey HOF set

Just amazing cards.
  • It really is amazing. 15 PSA 9s and 2 PSA 10s. Wow.
  • great set Goose, I was attempted to start that set too in all 4's
    Jery's T206 set: Looking for PSA 6's & 7's!