Home Sports Talk

Barry Zito 7 Years $126 M. WHAT ARE THEY THINKING?

Barry Zito to the Giants for $126 Million for 7 Years??????? has everyone in baseball lost their minds? he's a very good not great pitcher, when the big 3 were in tact in Oakland Hudson, Mulder and Zito he was clearly the number 3 starter in that rotation. Is he even in the top ten current best pitchers in Baseball??? Teams will be regretting contracts from this winter for years to come, just ask the Texas Rangers about the ridiculous contract they gave then clearly the best player in baseball at the time Alex Rodriguez, they're still paying for that mistake all these years later. Wow wheres Charlie Finley when we need him. Phil

Comments

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's to $20 beers at the ballpark. Do I hear $25? image
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Holy freakin schnikies image

Link

<< <i>Zito's agreement, reached late Wednesday night, includes an $18 million option for 2014 that could increase the value to $144 million. The option would become guaranteed if Zito pitches 200 innings in 2013, 400 combined over 2012 and 2013 or 600 combined from 2011-13. >>

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Looks like Matsuzaka was a steal, by comparison.

But, I feel bad for Oakland fans - who now watch Zito essentially go across town (it would be like going from the Yanks to the Mets) and they have to see him in a Giants uniform. I figured he would sign for a ton of money, but wow - the Giants are going to hear a lot of criticism for this move.
  • good pitching is at a premium. is he worth it? nope. none of them are worth that kind of money. Giants will be lucky to finish 2nd lol.
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like Matsuzaka was a steal, by comparison.
    >>

Are you kidding me? You are comparing Zito to a guy who hasnt thrown one pitch in MLB?

So, yes, another team with deep pockets. Baseball in trouble? NOPE! Fans wallets in trouble? YUP!

Zito is smiling all the way to the bank with this deal! (And so is Boras! WOW)
  • Frankly I was surprised he "only" got 7 years with the money teams are throwing around this year. But the Giants? Clearly this was another Meche type of deal where he simply took the money and ran. Oh well, I really thought he'd go to Texas and help a MUCH better team turn the corner.
    J
    I agree 80sToy....he obviously doesnt want to play for a winner. Yeah, the Giants arent bad but anyone who pays Barry Bonds 16 million a year isnt nearly as serious as they should be.

<< <i>Looks like Matsuzaka was a steal, by comparison. >>

You are joking, right?

D-Mat was about $105M, not including incentives. You don't think Zito deserves +/- 20% more considering he's a proven commodity in MLB?

Edited to add: And please do not attempt the "He's only getting $50M" response because you won't get anywhere with that argument image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Pitching is an extreme premium right now. If you have a pulse in your body, and you're a left-hander, teams will still pay through the nose for you. Take a look at what Jamie Moyer got. It's little wonder David Wells is reconsidering retirement.
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>Edited to add: And please do not attempt the "He's only getting $50M" response because you won't get anywhere with that argument >>

Kind of - the Sox have to look at the $51.1M as an investment, which they will recoup by building their brand in the Far East. It hopefully will also lead to other signings from that region as well. So, while the total investment tops $100M, you can look at the way they smacked Boras around at contract time as the Sox doing a nice job on getting him signed for what appears to be a steal.
    Really? You think D-Mat is a "steal"? For the Red Sox sake, I hope you are right. But I cant wait until he meets those big bats of the AL East! Then we will see what kind of bargain he is.

<< <i>Pitching is an extreme premium right now. If you have a pulse in your body, and you're a left-hander, teams will still pay through the nose for you. Take a look at what Jamie Moyer got. It's little wonder David Wells is reconsidering retirement. >>

Excellent point, Brian. That's also the reason so many teams are interested in Randy Johnson, even if we all think he is washed up, there are many who think he has plenty of worth.
  • Note to self:

Hand son a baseball. Have him practice throwing it. Repeatedly. Left handed. Do this from now until he is ready for little league/junior varsity/varsity. Pick up the pace with practicing after he's in little league/junior varsity/varsity.
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Note to self....

Try and recall that I was once a heavily touted pitcher when at age 17 I was a 150 lb lefty who threw mid 80's with massive movement on his fastball, a great changeup and pinpoint control...before a car accident ruined chances at pursuing further...

Try and further remember that the arm has healed and although I am now 33 there is still life in this old arm and at the money they are throwing lefties it may be worth giving a tryout another chance !!!!!!!
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Note to self:

37 is not too old to teach myself to throw left handed. Teach self to throw knuckleball and even if I can just get it to the plate at about 45-50 mph, I should still garner at least $1mil per year. Winter workout will start tonight----first step--- start drinking my beer with left hand***
    See you all in spring training!!!
    Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Edited to add: And please do not attempt the "He's only getting $50M" response because you won't get anywhere with that argument >>

Kind of - the Sox have to look at the $51.1M as an investment, which they will recoup by building their brand in the Far East. It hopefully will also lead to other signings from that region as well. So, while the total investment tops $100M, you can look at the way they smacked Boras around at contract time as the Sox doing a nice job on getting him signed for what appears to be a steal. >>

What a joke.

Using this TWISTED logic the Yankees can axe TONS of payroll with the HUGE amount of money earned with "their brand" in the Far East over the years. I love ya Jerry, but you don't call em the same between the Yanks and Sox. The thought that the Red Sox can just drop that number paid becuase of potential money made over their is a CROCK. The Yankees have been doing that for years ....... image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    The Zito signing makes sense. He is only 28 years old in the prime of his career. He has made 34 or 35 starts for 6 straight seasons. He is going from the American League to the National League. He has a career 3.55 earned run average.

Acquiring a pitcher of this calibre through free agency is very very difficult. The last big time free agent pitcher in his prime that signed for a long term contract that I recall was Mike Mussina and Mussina was 32 when the Yankees signed him. That contract worked out very well for the Yankees.

Edited to add: And the extra revenue the Giants will make from keeping Bonds for this season will pay for both his 16 million dollar salary and the first year of Zito's contract.

• << <i>

<< <i>Looks like Matsuzaka was a steal, by comparison. >>

You are joking, right?

D-Mat was about $105M, not including incentives. You don't think Zito deserves +/- 20% more considering he's a proven commodity in MLB?

Edited to add: And please do not attempt the "He's only getting $50M" response because you won't get anywhere with that argument image >>

Matsuzaka is a steal in comparision to Zito moneywise. They payed around 105M total it is true. However the part they paid his Japanese team is done and gone. Only the contract counts toward any luxury tax the Sox might have to pay. The whole 127M for Zito counts. Even if Matsuzaka is not great he has an very tradeable contract. The Red Sox will not have a contract that weighs them down for years to come like SF with Zito. If he is as good as the hype this contract is downright spectacular considering the contracts that have been signed this off-season.
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, at least the Rockies were not stupid enough to step up this time (a la the Mike Hampton debacle). The Denver air would turn Zito into a BP pitcher. Bad enough the Rockies are in the Giants' division.

<< <i>Matsuzaka is a steal in comparision to Zito moneywise. They payed around 105M total it is true. However the part they paid his Japanese team is done and gone. Only the contract counts toward any luxury tax the Sox might have to pay. The whole 127M for Zito counts. Even if Matsuzaka is not great he has an very tradeable contract. The Red Sox will not have a contract that weighs them down for years to come like SF with Zito. If he is as good as the hype this contract is downright spectacular considering the contracts that have been signed this off-season. >>

I can see your reasoning but it doesn't hold water.

Doesn't matter what D-Mat's actual Contract stipulates, they are out $100M+ regardless of how you want to spin it. If they attempt to trade him, I can guarantee you that they will look to recoop some of that $50M signing fee.. Be it with cash or additional players.

This is MLB and you don't have to trade contract value for contract value; A-Rod got traded with a $250M Contract with Hicks still on the hook.

To be perfectly blunt and compare apples to apples: Hypothetically speaking, if D-Mat is a bust, Boston is on the hook for $100M+ Having said that, if Zito fails to live up to his previous accomplishments, SF is on the hook for $126M.
  • Well obviously Barry cares more about the money then a winning team. I lose all respect for guys like that. Oh well there goes the ticket prices in frisco. I'll have to go to a's dollar wednesdays and $10 beers.image
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well obviously Barry cares more about the money then a winning team. I lose all respect for guys like that.

Easy to say when it's not your millions on the table. image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • <<Well obviously Barry cares more about the money then a winning team. I lose all respect for guys like that.>>

<<Easy to say when it's not your millions on the table. >>

Grote I have to say that is easy to say. Look at a guy like Karl Malone he took a massive paycut to play for the Lakers hopeing for a ring. Instead he got nothing but thats a respectfull player. If the Giants were contenders i'd say hats off but it is about the money and I agree I have no respect for guys like Zito. Pretty soon well be paying 50 for a beer just to pay these overpaid egos
  • zito should have taken a little less and played in LA or SD, get the benefits of a good pitchers park and play for a contender.
  • rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭
    Pitchers are like race horses.

One gallop away from "something snaping" or one pitch away from "something snapping".

But there is a difference, a horse may get "put down". The pitcher? Gets Tommy John surgery! image

rd
  • I would have held out for more... $145 M min. KIDS got to eat!image
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies
  • MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Who's hoping Zito breaks 20 losses? Wow is he bad, a 4.50 WHIP for this game and can't get through the 3rd.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is pretty bad actually, he gets SHELLED just about every other start its not like he has been a hard luck hurler by any stretch either.
  • jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    makes me even more furious that he stole that Cy Young from Pedro.
    Do you think they might Dontrelle his butt back to single A?
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i> makes me even more furious that he stole that Cy Young from Pedro. >>

That's funny. Zito didn't steal the Cy Young for that year, but he is stealing money from the Giants and that's ok for me being a Dodger fan. image It's really too bad, Zito always seemed like a down to earth guy whenever I used to hear his interviews on the radio.
  • RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭
    If you judge a pitcher by stats alone, he really wasn't that impressive in the 7 seasons prior to getting the S.F. contract. He had two good years early on (17-8 in 2001, 23-5 in 2002 when he won the Cy Young) but after that he was quite average. I guess it's another case of believing you can bring back the past glory of a pitcher- a risky proposition if there ever was one.

BTW, I remember he was sent to the bullpen but it seems that didn't last more than a week or two. I'm guessing it didn't do much.
  • magowan blew it. sabean blew it. they wanted to make sure they keep butts in pac bell park. they got rejected by soriano. carlos lee. even the likes of juan pierre and gary mathews jr. they needed to make a big splash that off season because the perception was that the giants were going downhill with no farm system and bonds imminent departure. so, they threw money at what was at the time the best player on the market. in my opinion, this will go down as the worst signing in baseball free agent history. zito cant blame injuries. he cant blame the ballpark. he cant even blame the league (NL is pitcher friendly, especially when you pitch most of your non home games in the likes of chavez ravine and petco park). the giants cant blame anyone but themselves...they had all the data in front of them. all indications show that he was going downhill. he wasnt and never will be a pitcher who demands the most per year salary (which is what he got at the time).
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I live in Nor Cal and thus get peppered with lots of Giants information.

If YOU were Zito would you, if your performance continues to stink, over to renegotiate the contract? If so, then you have a basis for your complaints [to the extent they are directed at him, as opposed to the Giants]. If not, then you have NO basis for your complaints [to the extent they are directed at him, as opposed to the Giants].

What would be very interesting and refreshing to see would be to have the Giants demand to renegotiate Zito's contract. So many times the athlete signs a long term contract, thinking at the time that it is a great deal. Two years later [after seeing other similar or lesser players sign contracts for much, much more; or after the player has a monster season] the athlete becomes dissatisfied with the contract and demands that it be renegotiated. Many times the team caves in and renegoiates, even though the current contract is legally binding.

It sure would be fun to see the Giants demand that Zito renegotiate the contract downward. It would be fun to see Zito's reaction to that type of a demand and it would be fun to see the Players Association's reaction to that type of a demand image
  • sanction...a broncos fan in nor cal? Let's hope you dont live in the east bay.

i remember someone mentioning that this actually happened. Or, at least, the team provided some slight "pressure" on a player to redo his contract to free up money to sign other players. it was revealed later that the player did it not only to help his team financially, but also because he was guilty that his performance didnt match his salary.

the giants blew it a long time ago when they didnt sign guerrero. Guerrero and bonds in the same lineup for a few years...and then have guerrero as the star attraction after bonds leaves....makes sense from nearly every perspective (financially, chemistry, competitive) ive thought of.
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MajorDanby.

I do call the East Bay home.

Bronco fan I am. However I am so busy with stuff that my attention to the NFL is not like it was when I was a kid growing up in Denver. Thus I do not have any problem being in the Raider's back yard. Further, Denver has had the Raider's number for many years now, so most of the time I can look forward to Denver winning one or both games against the Raider's each season. Funny thing though, even with Denver's recent run of success against the Raiders, the Raider's still are far ahead in the wins and losses between the two teams. Denver is still about 20 games behind the Raiders in the win column. That just shows how lopsided the rivalry was between Denver and the Raiders from 1960 until the start of the Elway era.
  • well, if the raiders can somehow get better, the rivalry might be a bit more exciting. i really dont follow football, but some raiders fans can get a little too angry and pumped up about raider/broncos games.
    What would happen if they sent him down to the minors and Zito refused??? Would that void the contract or turn it into a buyout situation? He is better off trying to figure out how to break an egg with his fastball in AA than in the majors.
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    As a Giants fan, I would love to see nothing better than to find some loophole or buyout clause to get out of this contract and use the money to make the team competitive again. Or use it to lock up Lincecum long term.