Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Emmitt Smith collection: need opinion

A collector contacted me with an emmitt smith collection of all rookie cards. i don't buy a new products and i checked ebay and with the volume he is selling i couldn't get a true price range. if any emmitt collectors or active buyers of his cards could help it would be a big help. all cards are nr mint to gem mint. all sets are factory fresh.

1988 burger king 16 card set....................25 sets

1990 score supplement............................100 sets

1990 topps traded...................................100 sets

1990 fleer update....................................100 sets

single cards are all in plastic sheets and binders. none are stuck to the plastic

1990 score supplement............9 pages...............81 total

1990 topps traded...................9 pages...............81 total

1990 fleer update...................9 pages............... 81 total

1990 pro set..........................9 pages.................81 total

1990 action packed................9 pages................81 total

he is asking $7,000.00 for all and will not break up the lot. next question is if i do buy, i will grade most of the singles, how many at a time should i grade and sell without dropping prices. don't want to put 81 score supplements on ebay at 1 time.

thanks for the help

Comments

• Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    I swear I remember an Emmitt Smith collector that used to hang out around here.

Anybody got his name?

• Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    I think his name is snowblowerdude...or something like that!image
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    well PSA 10 1990 Score Supplements just sold for $242. A PSA 9 that I was following just went for $45. Sealed sets should carry a nice price as well since there is also a Seau rookie in there. Hope this info helps you.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>he is asking $7,000.00 for all and will not break up the lot. next question is if i do buy, i will grade most of the singles, how many at a time should i grade and sell without dropping prices. >>

Its really too late, his prices have been dropping, especially his rc's

Fab,

It sounds like alot of money to buy a bunch of raw cards. I know your getting alot but what would be the ratio of nr mint to mint cards? Raw nr mint usually translates to psa 8 and 9's. Emmitt's in 8 or 9 are like anything else, your not gonna get alot for them. I would hate to see you spend $7000 and get more nrmint cards than mint.

Emmitt psa 10 cards have been taking a hit lately as well. The big boy, 1990 Score Supp was selling for well over $340 not even a year ago. I have seen them go recently from $195.00 to $280.00 (psa 10). Still though, selling one for $280.00 is great but again, how many score psa 10 caliber cards will you be getting?

The Pro Set cards are another tough one. Edge chipping seriously plagues these cards. I would say the lot has more nr mint than mint. In psa 10 form this card will fetch between $125.00 and $170.00

The prices on all his rc's are going down. Perhaps that is why this guy is trying to unload them.

I will say this, the Burger King cards would be worth trying to get. I know you said he wont break up the lot, but if he cant sell it as a lot Im sure he will end up breaking it up. The Burger King card was selling last year for appr. $125.00 to $150.00, psa 10. One sold last night for over $200.00. That card and the 1989 Smokey The Bear card have been selling for alot more recently.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think his name is snowblowerdude...or something like that!image >>

I heard that.........read that.......whatever image
  • Options
    fab4fab4 Posts: 280 ✭✭
    thanks for the info. if you received 10% psa 10 on the score supplements and the rest 8 or 9's, the cost of the cards(20.00 each) plus grading fees, ebay fees and the amount of time involved it didn't seem a good enough investment. the topps, fleer proset and action packed are not worth taking a chance on anything less than a 10 would not pay grading fees.. the sets i think i could make money on the score and burger king but the topps and fleer are junk at best. for 7 grand investment and the amount of time i would have to hold them a small return on my money is not worth while.

i just bought a 1960 and 1965 raw sets from him in nr mint shape and made 35% profit on each one in about 10 days.

thanks for all the rplys and info