Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

What a difference!

I've won an 1813 8 Reales, described as "Broad Struck", but the term "Tampered Planchet Strike" fits this coin better. Seller described it as "actually XF wear" and his images showed lustre. I wanted a sample of this mint error from that time to better understand the process and glad that I did.

Seller's auction can be found

here.

His scanned pictures:

imageimage

Now ... the coin does look like that if you are looking at it straight down. But if you tilt it towards the light, just a little, you will get this:

I guess during the War of Independence some corners were cut in the rolling step resulting in a piece of flat stock where the central area was thinner than the perimeter. The blank punched from this stock was thinner across the middle and no amount of strike pressure could overcome that problem. There are rough areas within areas of weakness that look like the surface produced directly out of a rolling mill.

Fascinating piece! I love the character of these large coins.

Comments

• Options
    2K - Those pictures are amazing!
    Roy

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I love eBay folks who can't take a decent picture!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    BailathaclBailathacl Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭
    Holy @#$%&*, that looks soooo good....

Edited to add: I'd like to look at future auctions from this seller....

"The Internet? Is that thing still around??" - Homer Simpson
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    very cool...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Nice score. People with images like that need to invest their sale proceeds into better imaging equipment and skills. That will more than pay for itself in the long run with higher sale prices.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimageimage

Thanks for your compliments, everyone. Most of my photo skills came from reading photography posts on these boards, written by more experienced folks, like Mark(mgoodm3), Cladiator and others. I enjoy this part of a hobby and I often buy a coin simply because I would like to photograph it.