Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

OT: President Gerald R. Ford has passed away

Gerald R. Ford, the 38th President of the United States passed away tonight.
If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
1987-C Hendersonville Road
Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com

Comments

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He was the oldest living Pres. yes?
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>He was the oldest living Pres. yes? >>

Yes, he passed Ronald Reagan just a month or two ago.

Ford lived to 93
    Reagan lived to 93
    John Adams lived to 90
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    The news media are calling him America's only unelected president, but that's not true. Anyone know who the other one was?
  • Options

<< <i>The news media are calling him America's only unelected president, but that's not true. Anyone know who the other one was? >>

Tyler

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    John Tyler was VP under William Henry Harrison, who died after just one month in office. Tyler finished Harrison's term of 1841-1845.

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options

<< <i>John Tyler was VP under William Henry Harrison, who died after just one month in office. Tyler finished Harrison's term of 1841-1845. >>

Tyler was elected as vice president. This person never served as vice president.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>John Tyler was VP under William Henry Harrison, who died after just one month in office. Tyler finished Harrison's term of 1841-1845. >>

Tyler was elected as vice president. This person never served as vice president. >>

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Tyler was elected as vice president. This person never served as vice president. >>

image >>

PM sent.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

PM sent. >>

Interesting bit of trivia, I will not spill the beans.

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Was Washington actually elected??
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options

<< <i>Was Washington actually elected?? >>

I don't know if there was a popular vote, but there was an Electoral College vote, so he would be considered elected under the Constitution.
  • Options
    coinnut86coinnut86 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    BailathaclBailathacl Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

Alexander Haig?

"The Internet? Is that thing still around??" - Homer Simpson
  • Options
    USAROKUSAROK Posts: 887 ✭✭✭
    David Rice Atchison served as an unelected president of the United States on March 4th, 1849, after James K. Polk and before Zachary Taylor, as a result of a gap between the expiration of Polk's term and the date of Taylor's inauguration.
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Alexander Haig? >>

Ha! That's what I was going to say. image
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options

<< <i>David Rice Atchison served as an unelected president of the United States on March 4th, 1849, after James K. Polk and before Zachary Taylor, as a result of a gap between the expiration of Polk's term and the date of Taylor's inauguration. >>

That's an urban legend. Atchison never held presidential powers.

The person I'm thinking of served a full term as president without ever having been elected.
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The news media are calling him America's only unelected president, but that's not true. Anyone know who the other one was? >>

Is this a reference to John Hanson, the so-called first president? (He was actually only the first to serve a full term as President of the Continental Congress.)
  • Options
    danglendanglen Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭
    George W. Bush comes to mind.....
    danglen

My Website

"Everything I have is for sale except for my wife and my dog....and I'm not sure about one of them."
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    John Quincy Adams was voted in by the US House. In 1824, he was not the leading vote getter or electoral college vote getter (Andrew Jackson was).
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options

<< <i>John Quincy Adams was voted in by the US House. In 1824, he was not the leading vote getter or electoral college vote getter (Andrew Jackson was). >>

That's the one. image
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Alexander Haig? >>

That's funny!!!

<< John Quincy Adams was voted in by the US House. In 1824, he was not the leading vote getter or electoral college vote getter (Andrew Jackson was). >>
    I vauguely remember from school. How did that happen?

Cathy

• Options

<< <i>I vauguely remember from school. How did that happen? >>

I vauguely remember school!! image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ford was considered as Nixon's running mate in 1960... he was an interesting man with a certain Main Street charm. I recall meeting him at the Claremont College campus in 1980 around the time of the Reagan-Anderson duel in the Republican primaries before Anderson announced that he would run as an Independent. A draft Ford movement really never got off the ground because Anderson left and it became apparent the election of 1980 was Reagan's to loose.

The 1976 election of course was different... Carter selected the right running mate and tried in vain to re-create the "New Deal Coalition" and even though Ford made an effort to Whip Inflation Now... he was in a no win situation... much worse than TRUMAN faced in '48. Perhaps if Ford could have persuaded Rockefeller to stay on the ticket, it may have had a more suspenseful ending.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i>John Quincy Adams was voted in by the US House. In 1824, he was not the leading vote getter or electoral college vote getter (Andrew Jackson was).

I vauguely remember from school. How did that happen? >>

There were 11 candidates who received votes in the Electoral College, and none got a majority. Andrew Jackson, John Quincy Adams and William H. Crawford were the three top elector college picks, in that order. Under the 12th Amendment the House of Representatives had to choose from among those three, and Adams got the nod.

Actually he was the second president elected by Congress instead of the Electoral College. In 1800 Thomas Jefferson and Aaron Burr were tied in the Electoral College. At that time the top vote getter became President and the runner-up became Vice President. That was the first time the race was thrown into the House, where it took 36 ballots for Jefferson to be chosen our third president.

Ford may have been the third president who was not chosen by the Electoral College, but he was in fact the first to take office without ever receiving a single popular vote, or Electoral College vote, for President.
    Roy