Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

~ My first ever Spanish Colonial, Pillar & Globes Half Reale ~

This one just came in today from Mr. Sedwick. It is my very first coin of this type and I'm really liking it, thank you to the forum members that helped me along. The coin is much better than was depicted in the sellers photos. I have no idea how to grade these coins so if you all would please give me your grade opinion and, more importantly, what to look for to get that opinion it would be greatly appreciated. The coin, with it's intricate edge design, lends itself nicely to the EdgeView™ photography. So hit me with your best shot and tell me what you think...I can take it heheh.

Also, if someone would kindly translate all the inscriptions on the coin I'd be forever greatfull image

Lastly, I've included a close up of the left pillar. It looks to be doubled. Is this common? Am I seeing things correctly or is this a design element?

1756 Half Reale ~ Lima, Peru ~ JM

Comments

• Options
    I'm not much help for the type but let me try to stretch my meagre knowledge of latin. On the reverse(?) around the shield you have abbreviations for Ferdinand VI Dei Gratia Hispaniola Et Ind Rex or -
    Ferdinand the VI, King of all Spain, by the grace of God

On the obverse I don't know what "utra" is, perhaps great. Unum is "one" and que is "what".image

Then you have the date and the mintmark Lm for Lima.

Sorry, that's as far as I can take it!

Riothamus
    "To fly as fast as thought, to anywhere that is, you must begin by knowing that you have already arrived."
    -Jonathan Livingston Seagull-
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Looks like solid XF detail, but for some reason I don't like the surfaces, especially the reverse. Sea salvage?
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "VTRA QVE VNVM" or utra que unum means "both are one" - "both" here refers to the two globes, symbolizing the old and new worlds, joined together as one kingdom - the Spanish empire.

On the pillars are PL and VL - on the larger coins like the dollar they can fit the whole words: "PLVS VLTRA" or plus ultra, "more beyond". Beyond what? The two pillars stand for the Pillars of Hercules, the rocky sentinels at the mouth of the Mediterranean. The Spanish empire originally comprised just land on both sides of the Pillars - Spain and Morocco. Then the Americas were discovered and claimed - more territories, out beyond the Pillars of Hercules.

To the left of the date is the mintmark - the letters in the name LIMAE (Lima, Peru) monogrammed together. The letters on the right are the mintmaster's initials, JM.

On the obverse (shield) side, the king's titles actually expand out to FERDINANDVS VI DEI GRATIA HISPANIARVM ET INDIARVM REX. This translates to "Ferdinand VI, by grace of God king of the Spains and the Indias". "Spains", plural, meaning the old Roman provinces of Nearer Spain (Catalonia) and Further Spain (central and western Spain). "Indias", plural, meaning the East Indies (India proper, the Philippines etc.) and the West Indies (the Americas).

(edited for belatedly-spotted typos)
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    Sapyx nailed down the legend pretty good. It was my understanding that the original pillars read Ni Plus Ultra, or Nothing Further Beyond. The Ni was removed, because of the new world colonies. The twin globes are a symbol of this as the old world and new world both under the crown of Spain.

As far as the piece goes, you know I think it's pure eye candy. The reverse did come across a little more soft than it appeared, but that's normal. Much like the doubling you pointed out, softer struck areas are more commonly found than a solid, well centered strike.

How did you image it with the edge showing all around like that?
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the great info guys. The surfaces are completely original and are identical to any well circulated and crusty Capped or Draped bust coin I've ever seen. There is zero porousness and nice even tone/crust. I was a bit dissapointed at my photos of the reverse as it does make it appear to be weakly struck. In hand the reverse of the coin is infact very well struck with all of the shield details jumping out strongly. It's my poor image, not the coin. The only strike weakness on the reverse is "I" of "IND". There is some strike weakness on the obverse from "56 JM MU" but it doesn't distract from the coin in hand.

Ricke, you can read a breakdown of the EdgeView™ technique in ~ this thread ~.
  • Options
    A nice piece. The half reales are often weakly struck because they tried to turn them out so fast, and doubling like on this one is rather common. I'd estimate grade at high VF, low XF - what did Dan grade it ?

I always think these small denominations are harder to grade without seeing them in hand because it's hard to judge what is wear and what is weakness. But you can see some wear on the high points and around the edges especially. But that's because the edges were pushed up when they added the edge design. But for the most part the design elemnets are all there and few show wear except on the high points as I said.
    knowledge ........ share it