Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

German States reference?

Just wondering if there is a good reference to coins from the German States/Germany up thru pre Euro era. I have been debating the following Krause book, but since it hasn't been updated since 1998 I am not sure.
1st You Suck - 04/07/05 - Thanks MadMarty!

Happy Rock Wrens

You're having delusions of grandeur again. - Susan Ivanova
Well, if you're gonna have delusions, may as well go for the really satisfying ones. - Marcus Cole

Comments

• Options
    In my opinion, unless you read German and have really deep pockets, there is no better book available. I do have a few German references and use a translation dictionary when needed but I would say probably 99% of any state coin you come across will be listed in this book.

The prices on the link seemed a little high, I picked up a second edition on eBay for 29.50 including shipping.
    Once again, this is just my 2 cents worth on the book. I find it very useful and handy to use with almost everything under one cover.

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Well if you want more up-to-date pricing and listings, you could buy the newest editions of the Krause 1600s 1700s 1800s and 1900s volumes... of course you'll end up dropping $150 on those 4 volumes... image
  • Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭
    Here is a good German coin reference book. AKS - Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • Options
    Here is a good German coin reference book.

Unfortunately my German isn't that good ... image

Just thought the Krause catalog might be a good start as I am not looking at getting into specialized areas such as Goetz, etc.
    1st You Suck - 04/07/05 - Thanks MadMarty!

Happy Rock Wrens

You're having delusions of grandeur again. - Susan Ivanova
    Well, if you're gonna have delusions, may as well go for the really satisfying ones. - Marcus Cole
  • Options
    I would go with the Krause book, I use it almost exclusively for its ease of use. Even if you did find a coin that is not listed there is plenty of help here willing and able to help identify coins.

I agree with Coinpictures post too, you could buy the 4 world coin books needed to cover all the material found under this one cover and have more up to date pricing (maybe). I am not overly concerned with the pricing aspect of it. I can get an idea if it is a common coin or something a little harder to come across just by comparing to other coins in the series. With the more modern Empire I look at the mintage figures to decide whether I am likely to find another and what I am willing to pay for a particular coin. When selling, I start most of my auctions at .99 and let the bidders decide the real value anyway. If I am trading coins, value for value based on the same book works pretty well for most trading partners.

BTW, Preussen thanks for that link. I ordered one to put one in my reference collection.

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Foreign catalogs really aren't that hard to manage. Afterall, there is a fair bit of jargon involved in English-language catalogs too. Once you get the hang of the key words and grading terms it's not a problem at all. If you plan on going in depth with this collecting theme I'd strongly recommend getting familiar with the native material. It'll likely help you find better deals in the long run as it expands your scope for coin hunting.

AKS is probably the most often cited for German States, 1800-1871 (though it does cover more). Then there is Jaeger for Unification+ (Muenzen & Papiergeld use J. numbers in their price guides).
  • Options
    Hello!

When you need help to get a book from Germany send to the US I can maybe help you.
    I live here! ;-)
    I´m also using this one:

Link

A very good online translation site is made by some students in Germany!

Link

Wishes
    Eric
    Scandinavian and US coins are my pleasure!