Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1957 FB 100% complete !!!

Not the most important card collecting accomplishment by any stretch, still I am pleased to finally be finished with a classic vintage set.

It is ranked 8th current, with a weighted GPA of 7.00. I have 109 PSA 7s, 45 PSA 8s, and the only card with a qualifier ( or lower than a 7 ) is a PSA 2 (MK) of the checklist. The dang un-numbered checklist is very highly weighed, more important than my Johhny Unitas RC PSA 7.
Without the checklist, which was the absolute last card I added, I did a few upgrades from my most recent sub. and had got up to a GPA of 7.23 at 99.35 % complete, which was all the cards with numbers, that is all the actual players.

It seems to me the 1957 Topps FB is truly a fine set. RCs of Unitas, Starr, Berry, and Hornung, along with high numbers, short-prints, Etc., compliment the attractive print scheme. Add the fact it is the first FB set in the now standard size format for sportscards and it rates highly.

This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.

Comments

• Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    Congratulations that is a nice accomplishment! So what is next for you? Another set or upgrades?

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    Still working on baseball; 73, 79, 80 Topps, and 1982 Donruss.
    Nowhere near the vigor as was with the 57 FB though.

Also have interest in 1951 Bowman FB and 1912 T-202 baseball, however my budget will not permit too much to be done with those beauties.

• Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations - nice set with lots of star power!
  • Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    I just started a 73 Baseball registry myself. I have a looong way to go. I have 1 complete raw set and the second set is almost complete. I am in the process of getting my first sub put together.

Do you buy the cards already graded or do you submit raw?

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    Congrats Jaxxr! That's awesome!

Good luck on those 80's sets! Maybe think about putting the '84 Donruss on your list. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Congrat's Jaxxr - nice accomplishment, getting 100% on any vintage set is nice. I started the 54 Bowman FB set about 3 months ago and I am also doing it with a goal of 7.00. How long did it take you to complete it? Best of luck on the BB set.

Chris
  • Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭
    I think that is a sharp set. Nice job!!
  • Options
    Sweet set, I think the 57 is my favorite in the football sets.........
    "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"
    (If you want peace, prepare for War).........Semper Fi
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    Great job. Great choice spending the big money on the players. Checklists are expensive and you don't get nearly the rush when they arrive in the mail.
  • Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    Thanx all for the kind words,

The set took about 3 years to finish. I had a raw set, which was upgraded over a span of perhaps 10-12 years and eventually, about half were good enough to be submitted. I have also bought some raw cards at a few big shows in Chicago and have had pretty good luck with them via subs as well. Purchased maybe 20% of the cards already graded. Most importantly, I have been lucky enough to have found several good guys to trade with via this board, and have traded for 15-20 % of the set. Now that it is done, I can really say it was tremendous fun, with plenty of frustration and a bit of learning along the way.

1984 Donruss ??, truly a nice looking set, I have a factory sealed one bought in 84, so that will have to do. I sort of wish I did not start 5 or six registered sets, because my tastes have changed a little, so they are not that "special" to me, and of course if I had only one other set to work on, I could focus upon it better and have more dollars available.

• Options
    Jaxxr

Glad to see you finsih this set.

I know it broke my heart when I had to sell mine

Paul
  • Options
    i really really love this set it is the best looking of all the football sets if you ask me i have about 45 cards from this set and i gave away a johnny unitas from this set but i am not worried at some point i will have this entire set raw. it is a great set and way to go on finishing it!!!
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    just a great set!!
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    A popular and important vintage set in 7.00: a truly fine accomplishment image
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Great job. I thought my 72 FB was tough. Congrats and GL on the rest of your sets!!

Go Packers
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Good job.

I need to upgrade mt Starr from 7 to 8 and find a checklist in 8(ugh) to complete the set in psa 8 or better.

Jim
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations, that is a landmark set and has some real condition rarities. One of my favorites!

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    A Great Set and nice work.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    Great accomplishmentimage
    I'm 2 cards short of completing the set myself. I need the Bratkowski and checklist in PSA 7 or better. I'm thinking though that I'll have to lower my standards on the checklist. That is one tough card.image
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Very nice job...congrats. My goal by the end of 2007 is to have PSA 7 Starr and Hornung.... About a year ago, I picked up around 10 nice PSA 8's from Jeremy (FBCardStore) for around $25 each which is a good price.

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg