Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A bidder to consider blocking

International bidder from Sweden. Name hidden to protect the guilty. image (PM me if you want it).

He was the high bidder on a dozen or so inexpensive items in November. Immediately after all his auctions closed, he said " Any discount on this very BIG purchase? Maybe free
postage? I will wait with the payment until I get an answer on my question above." (Wow! $250.00 is such a HUGE purchase! How could my business survive without it?) So I responded that I couldn't discount after the fact since shipping was stated up front and it wouldn't be fair to other bidders who expected to pay it. His response: "OK I understand you but other sellers think in a different way and care for faithful and frequent customers." Ooh, passive-agressive first time customer. Nice. Strike one.

So, after payment was received for the invoice I sent him with $12.00 for S&H as stated in the auction (nevermind I knew it was going to cost $18.30 to ship), I packed and shipped his order. Let's say for the sake of argument that the customs form may have had a value stated that was far less than the actual sale price. Let's just say. 10 days later or so, I received an email saying that he refused the package as he did not want to pay the duty on it. (Huh huh, I said duty.) So the package would be coming back. Strike two.

So I sent him an invoice for actual shipping price for the repeat shipment (not the original $12.00) which he refused to pay saying it was my responsibility to ship them again. Strike three. You're blocked.

I played hardball and refunded his original payment and said "Thanks anyway." which has brought him back to the negotiating table and now wants to split shipping, so I will still probably end up shipping again, but this ordeal has certainly not been worth it.

So that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Read into it as you wish.
https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.

Comments

• Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    You know my boy, it's the energy necessary to re-list everything that's put me in the same situation as you...

Recently had a buyer who waited 13 non-communicative days (after a few e-mails from me) to tell me he was paying by check and then, (several days later) paypal'd me today the entire amount for 7 auctions and wants the coins by Christmas.

The French would say "mon doigt dans ton cus" or something similar but I'm just smiling, slowly packaging for a Sunday visit to the post office.image

Unfortunately, I'm going to do it this afternoon because God Forbid, I SHOULD EVER GET A NEGATIVE!image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    Ugh, no doubt. eBay just sucks your soul right out of you sometimes. (I'll bet they put it up for bid too, using a Powerseller Account!).

Buyers really have sellers over a barrell when they buy their $0.99 token and then want it hand delivered on a silver platter. I kind of look forward to my first negative actually, because then it will be that much easier for me to stand on principle. I guess I won't be "buying all the hotdogs" on this one. (Tina Fey fans know what I'm getting at).
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>when they buy their $0.99 token and then want it hand delivered on a silver platter >>

You'll do this? Mine came in a bubble mailer. If only I had known.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    There's one benefit to getting your first negative : the next time you have a problem with a buyer trying to change the rules, you can tell him "My policy is ___, as stated clearly in the auction listing, and if full payment is not received by ___, my policy is to automatically leave negative feedback." Then give him a link to the feedback.

Sometimes, you have to incur a negative to show people that you're serious.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    To jump in I can understand the bad feelings this gives you sellers. I am just a buyer on ebay but I know what I want at what price INCLUDING shipping as stated.

If I buy it/win it....I pay immediately......... lot of auctions will not ship outside of the USA or Canada, no prob, if I am really intersted I send a ask the seller a question. What ever the seller says is ok.....it is his coins.

Sorry to sound dumb, but why else buy what you know you want and what it costs?

Folks can't be so dumb.

ok......my rant is finished
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options
    You should have told him repeat purks, like 50% off, is reserved for third time customers - then block him after his second purchase.

That'll show Sweden!
  • Options
    No matter how many times you ship the package, won't he have to pay the duty?
    Roy

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I played hardball >>

You played hardball???? C'mon, the guy is a [Yiddish expletive deleted]. He was eliminated from play as soon as he showed up.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    Out the SOB. Very publicly. And with extreme prejudice. image

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I am so over some of the wing-nuts found on eBay! On of my projects in the week I have off after Christmas is to change my eBay terms.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Josh, you're a prince. You're far more patient than I would be. I don't mind people asking about discounts on multiple purchases or on shipping *prior* to the purchase, but after the fact? Ain't no effin' way. As far as him refusing the package because of duty, I would have never given him a second chance. I would have refunded his original payment minus my shipping costs, filed a NPB with Ebay to get my final value fees back, and then relisted the merchandise.

There's no reason for you to be held hostage. What if he rejects the second shipment?

I include this wording in all my Ebay listings:

Please do not ask me to falsify invoices or customs declarations (i.e. declare lower than actual values). You should be aware of your country's customs requirements before bidding.
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Please do not ask me to falsify invoices or customs declarations (i.e. declare lower than actual values). >>

I agree. I 'borrowed' that line for my few paltry auctions (well, I re-worded it a tad so it sounded like me talking).

As for the "customer" in question, the guy sounds like a complete twit.

<< <i>for faithful and frequent customers." >>

. He isn't either one of those.

<< <i>so I will still probably end up shipping again >>

Yikes! I wouldn't...he has proven he is not overly ethical (duty anyone???), and I would worry he'd do a chargeback or something, and as you are shipping overseas with likely minimal tracking ability, then he could easily get away with it.

As for my next purchase...I fully expect to see a silver platterall!! In fact, I'm offended you haven't sent me one yet, after all I buy at least 2 coins a year from you!!!!

• Options
    I had a fellow buy a $300 coin and then wanted me to pay for insurance and shipping!

He got negged in a heartbeat. He then phoned me and wanted me to remove the negative. I said no and hung up on him.

I still haven't gotten a neg from him and it's been over two months.