Home Metal Detecting

Well maybe yesterday wasn't my last day detecting for the year...but today's find is definately my o

I was pretty sure yesterday would be my last day to get out for the year, the colder weather is back, holidays coming up etc....but this afternoon wasn't real bad here in upstate NY, sun was out and wind died down from yesterday, temp mid 40's. I had to go into the local town were this past fall I found the 1844 Canadian half penny in the park near the river so I brought the detector along for maybe an hour at most of hunting- it was nearly 2:30 and by 4 pm it is getting pretty dark. Wasn't finding much till I decided to move to an area of the park I had only briefly skirted in the past where a community swimming pool was put in a few years back. The pool area is surrounded by a fence which has some small pines planted along side of and I had never gone along the perimeter of it- there is just enough room to walk between the fence and line of bushes. Found a couple of zincolns right off and then...well I think you can spot it in the picture:

It came out of the hole without me seeing it, then passing the detector over the clump of soil and hole I spotted what at first what looked to be (had been finding alot of old plumbing junk in area) a large round washer- then I realized it was a coin!-and to large for a quarter. My next thought was that I had found my first large cent .image . I lightly wiped some dirt off and could immediately see Britania's shield, having seen plenty of them on the British large pennies my father brought home from world war two, I kinda of figured that I had probably found something similar. Then I flipped it over and could make out a man's head- and it wasn't the crowned type found on the 20th century types. I knew Victoria ruled prior to Edward for many years so it had to be before her reign image . I pocketed it and brought it home to run under some tap water and here it is:

A George the third 1806 penny... or half penny? hmn, no mention of denomination on coin itself (at first I thought 1800- thinking I had just missed the 18th century, but I am pretty sure its a 6 at end). Old George must have ruled for a while- he was king I believe when we rebelled (correct me if I am wrong). The area was site of a former ferry dock and was the heart of the downtown market in the life of the early city, and also the location of the British landing forces invasion during the war of 1812, who knows it could have been dropped then! It's possible that when they dug the hole for pool they might have also disturbed or relocated the piece as well- it was shallow, maybe 3-4 inches at most and I thought I was just digging a quarter by the readout on my Garrett .

I also found this nearby:

It looks to be silver plated copper (its quite heavy for its size), not sure if it was a piece of jewelry or part of something else. Its slightly curved in shape- maybe a hair broach or old pin that has lost its steel pieces? Anyways looks like I had some of that December luck that has been going around- I haven't found much much older stuff in the last few months. Now I can sit back and drink a beer and let my feet warm up...image - I forgot to wear my boots again

Comments

• ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Nice post!! image

That's a halfpenny. Great find, congrats!!
    The date would have to be either 1806 or 1807, so if it looks like a 6, then surely that's it.

What a rush to make a new oldest find!
    The non-US coin category will be really competitive this month!

Now... maybe there's still some December luck left for a hunt or two for you as well?... image
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Zot for the id on half penny, its soaking in a potato now, will hopefully have a better photo tomorrow of it- looks to have lots of detail. I just saw all the nice finds you made today as well- looks like your having one month to remember with all those coins! Congrats image
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's one of the things that make metal detecting so great. You never know what you are going to find. Alot of people might not have gone over the clump again either.
  • Nice find's Kevin and the pin or broach is real cool.It look's to be silver too.HH,Tom
  • Great finds guy

Gary
    imageimageimage
  • crispycrispy Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    Soaking in a potato? I've not tried that yet. I soak my nasty copper and bronze in olive oil. Post a picture when she's cleaned up.

Congrats on your oldest find. 1806 is definately stinky old image

Crispy

"to you, a hero is some kind of weird sandwich..."
  • Excellent work and congrats!

I'm green with envy!

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage

<< <i>Soaking in a potato? I've not tried that yet. I soak my nasty copper and bronze in olive oil. Post a picture when she's cleaned up. >>

I usually soak in a potato one night or so before putting copper into olive oil, you'd be surprised at the color of the potato when your done. Here are a couple of shots today before going into olive oil:

imageimage
  • hyf88hyf88 Posts: 294 ✭✭✭
    Great finds!! How far upstate are you? I am visiting my wife's family in Postdam NY this weekend and hit a local school built in 1885 with my father-in-law today. Found some modern clad and a 1945-P nickel, a first for me. Hard to believe we're detecting this late in the year up here.

• << <i>Great finds!! How far upstate are you? I am visiting my wife's family in Postdam NY this weekend and hit a local school built in 1885 with my father-in-law today. Found some modern clad and a 1945-P nickel, a first for me. Hard to believe we're detecting this late in the year up here. >>

Places to look:
    Some photos of Potsdam, NY: http://www.potsdam.ny.us/pictures.html

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage

<< <i>Great finds!! How far upstate are you? I am visiting my wife's family in Postdam NY this weekend and hit a local school built in 1885 with my father-in-law today. Found some modern clad and a 1945-P nickel, a first for me. Hard to believe we're detecting this late in the year up here. >>

Hello, I am about 25 miles northwest of Potsdam, should be a great place to detect (Potsdam)- I know the river running through the village has some old parks around it as well- and with all the college students I am sure lots of change has been dropped over the years. Got out again today myself, although the cool breeze off the river did make it a bit chilly. Glad I bought a set of headphones-if anything they have kept my ears warm. Got a little startled by a large horn and looked up to the sight of a rather large tug just off shore bringing in a barge and a smaller tug giving chase. The barge was a sign of the season for sure- it was loaded with the buoys and retrieval crane- must have just finished pulling them and I assume the seaway is now shut down till the spring. Nothing like the smell of diesel along the water front. Sadly didn't find much, just some modern coin, some old square nails and broken pipe. Thought I might have found another large copper coin, but instead it turned out to be some type of brass/copper wheel or pulley from a toy perhaps.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a halfpenny. Edit: I see Zot already chimed in.

Awesome!

You and Riccar are gonna be sluggin' it out over the best non-US coin category, it looks like, unless Zot gets busy!

Edit: I see he has.

It's an interesting month for Non-US material.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • hyf88hyf88 Posts: 294 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the link, Jerry. We're going to get out today and do a little hunting when the rain showers stop this morning.
    Kevin, looks like you've got some great sites to hunt over there. Maybe there will be a little holiday cheer hiding in the dirt today.
    Happy holidays to all!

- Bill
  • Some really nice stuff this month December. Who says this forum is slow? image

Very nice.
  • nice!