Home PSA Set Registry Forum

New registry set idea

I am thinking of submitting a new registry set to Carol and need some feedback.

I am thinking a baseball MVP set which would include Topps cards from 1911 thru 2006 and represent the MVP winner from the year.

For example:
2006 Ryan Howard
2005 Albert Pujols

and so on all the way back to 1911. Questions

1. What do the board members think?

2. Should it be seperate sets for each league or just combine both into one set?

2. I am working on the list and would anybody like to help with the weighting of the set?

I think this would be a really cool set and capture the historical perspective of the MVP award.

Please provide some feedback here and if you would be interested in helping with the weighting let me know. I am pretty familiar back to 1960 or 1961 but definately need help in the earlier years.

If interest is there I would also think about doing the same kind of set with Basketball and Football.

Email ([email protected]) or PM me with thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks
Bill

Comments

• Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,524 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a great idea... and has been discussed here: Old thread
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Sorry I didn't realize this had been discussed before.

Bill
  • theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    the mvp started way way after 1911

• << <i>the mvp started way way after 1911 >>

Really?????????? Not according to Baseball Reference but they probably don't know much about the game???

http://www.baseball-reference.com/awards/mvp_cya.shtmlMVP winners

Bill
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    It wasn't an official award until '31.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    You might have trouble locating Topps cards from 1911 image
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,524 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1962 Maury Wills is tough, as are a few of the war years - Exhibits will have to suffice for quite a few of them.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Gonna be real hard finding a card of the 1923 winner.

Text

between 1911 and 1914 it was called the Chalmers Award.

in 1922 and 1929 it was the League award.

1931 - is the award we see today. Sport magazine was affiliated with the award but i am not sure if they still do so to this day.

Note the 1923 NL and AL winners.

what the heck is that all about?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Steve - welcome to Wikiality.

'62 Maury Wills is easy if you allow non-Topps issues. Bell Brand is his most collectible card from that year.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • The 1923 winner is Ruth and according to vintagecardprices.com there are 9 different cards to choose from

Lections
    E123 Curtis Ireland Candy
    V117 Maple Crispette 8
    W461-3 Exhibits 1923-24
    W515-1 W515-1 Strip Card
    W515-1 W515-1 Strip Card
    W515-2 W515-2 Strip Card
    W515-2 W515-2 Strip Card
    W572 W572 Strip Card 89

The problem with a MVP registry award is you would have to make all the cards part of the set how could you pick and choose which ones to add or not. By the way I really like the player search on their site it lists everything.
    If they are in the Hall they are in my collection
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    the Lections shouldn't be too tough image

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• I think it is a good idea. I like the Wikipedia site I have never used it before, but it is in my favorites now. The Cincinnati Reds sure did have a good handle on things in the 70's....ah well maybe some day they will return to their former glory.

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Pre-1931, the award has some silly rules that an individual could not win the award more than once in their career. Which is why you don't see Babe Ruth's name pop up more often, for example.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.