Home Metal Detecting
Options

Just got my first detector

After borrowing a friends detector I finally bought one. I got my ace 250 and can't wait for some decent weather to get started! Any suggestions on getting started would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    The 250 is a good machine to start out on.
    Learn to pinpoint well with it. 2 Pinpointing tips

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    Hit a woodchip playground.
    Lots of Targets, quick and easy recovery.
    Wonderful for learning what different items sound like.
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Some thoughts from me:

Following on the pinpointing advice, I'd also suggest not to rush things... take your time trying to pinpoint the target accurately, then see if you got it in the middle of the hole.
    (When I started out (with a different detector than you though), I tended to pinpoint the target a bit behind where it actually was). It saves a ton of time, makes neater holes, and reduces risk of damaging the target if you've got it pinned down accurately.

Also take your time listening to the signals and seeing what info the detector is providing you before you dig them up. Some places are so trashy that it's hopeless trying to dig everything, and being familiar with the signals helps in deciding what to dig.

When you find a solid signal, you can test the way you sweep the detector by walking away from it, then coming back "as if you didn't know it's there" and see if you pick it up again. In this way you can see if your sweeps are close enough together or if you're leaving "holes" between your sweeps.

Go slow. I was rushing through some sites when I started, and was missing out on lots of obvious stuff that I found there when going back later. I probably detect slower now than in the beginning, but am finding more stuff.

Keep the coil close to the ground. Good stuff is often deep, so you don't want to give away any inches of depth image

Buy good digging tools (which you are wisely requesting input on in your other thread)

Always ask for owner's permission before detecting on private property.

Fill in your holes.

Post pictures of your finds here on the boards image

+ read your detector's manual in detail image

Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    Welcome aboard and to this very addictive hobbieimage
    Starting out with a good machine too.

Like Doc said tot lot's or even your own yard to learn how to dig target's.

HH,Tom