Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Christmas present arrived just in time

Post to the UK from Canada is often very slow, 10 days+ is not unusual. Anyway it arrived todayimage

Comments

• Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Dipped in red-very nice.
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    GooberGoober Posts: 980 ✭✭✭
    Oh yeah! I have a '67, but it's prob MS62/63, and raw. I'm definitely am looking for a better one. If mine looked like that I'd be happier...lol.
    Prost!

Why step over the dollar to get to the cent? Because it's a 55DDO.
  • Options

<< <i>Post to the UK from Canada is often very slow, 10 days+ is not unusual. Anyway it arrived todayimage

image >>

PM sent....
  • Options
    RBC image At least there's one person awake on here today. Yes it's an unlisted, (by Freeman), narrow rimmed obverse 1970 proof Half Penny. Best $0.99 I've spent.
  • Options
    BurksBurks Posts: 1,103
    I don't know what that means but it's a VERY nice looking coin.

Mind explaining that Gazza?
    WTB: Eric Plunk cards, jersey (signed or unsigned), and autographs. Basically anything related to him

Positive BST: WhiteThunder (x2), Ajaan, onefasttalon, mirabela, Wizard1, cucamongacoin, mccardguy1

Negative BST: NONE!
  • Options

<< <i>I don't know what that means but it's a VERY nice looking coin.

Mind explaining that Gazza? >>

The 1970 proof 1/2d is mostly found as the wide rim variety similar to to 1967 wide rim. It can be distinguished apart from the wide obverse rim by the pointing of the D in DEI, the stroke of the D aligns with a rim bead. It had also been reported to exist in the normal rim variety aswell but apart from a picture of one appearing on the Colin Cooke website I and many offer people had never seen one. A few weeks ago I was discussing this with Michael Goulby who until seeing the Cooke example was not convinced that it existed. The distinguishing features are; normal rim and the stroke of the D pointing to a gap between beads. I'm sure once people start looking for it it's scarcity will drop. I have been looking for one now for about 1 year and have had several false alarms where sellers had mixed the 1/2d reverse with a 1d observe in there auctions.
  • Options
    BurksBurks Posts: 1,103
    Great explanation.

Thanks!
    WTB: Eric Plunk cards, jersey (signed or unsigned), and autographs. Basically anything related to him

Positive BST: WhiteThunder (x2), Ajaan, onefasttalon, mirabela, Wizard1, cucamongacoin, mccardguy1

Negative BST: NONE!
  • Options

<< <i>RBC image At least there's one person awake on here today. Yes it's an unlisted, (by Freeman), narrow rimmed obverse 1970 proof Half Penny. Best $0.99 I've spent. >>

Thanks Gazza... I've been looking for this coin for more than 3 years already... This is the 4th specimen that I have seen......

I'm sure it is not THAT scarce, but most collectors are not aware of the variety, and therefore don't give an otherwise VERY COMMON coin a second look....

Since it has now been brought out in the open, and since many of you will now search for a specimen... I'll sweeten the pot as I need a specimen myself.... I'll offer $75 for the first uncirculated example that is offered for sale to me, or $45 for the first circulated example offered for sale to me....

As I only need ONE specimen, AND as the coin may not turn out to be scarce at all, I will not pay that much for a second specimen.... Anyway, this should stir things up a bit......

Contact me by PM, if you need to get in touch with me, and I'll give you my email address.... (several of you already are aware of who I am...)

Thanks...

PS: A HAPPY AND HEALTHY HOLIDAY SEASON TO ALL...... AND HAPPY HUNTING AS WELL.....
  • Options
    If it wasn't for the time it's taken me to find this specimen I'd be sorely tempted. It will be interesting to find out the number of these around as I've looked through many sets and single coins before I found this one. All I need to do now is find the second reverse type of the wide rim.
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Great find Gazza I didn't even know such a coin existed.
  • Options

<< <i>If it wasn't for the time it's taken me to find this specimen I'd be sorely tempted. It will be interesting to find out the number of these around as I've looked through many sets and single coins before I found this one. All I need to do now is find the second reverse type of the wide rim. >>

I also need this specimen (with the wider ship/rim), although Michael Gouby doesn't seem to recognize it's existance... and will make the same offer for this coin too.... I'll offer $75 for the first uncirculated example that is offered for sale to me, or $45 for the first circulated example offered for sale to me....

As I only need ONE specimen, AND as the coin may not turn out to be scarce at all, I will not pay that much for a second specimen.... Anyway, this should stir things up a bit......

I also need a proven specimen of F-479... which also may or may not exist, as well as a 1911, Gouby Obverse A, Reverse B...

Contact me by PM, if you need to get in touch with me, and I'll give you my email address....
  • Options

<< <i>

I also need a proven specimen of F-479... which also may or may not exist, as well as a 1911, Gouby Obverse A, Reverse B...

Contact me by PM, if you need to get in touch with me, and I'll give you my email address.... >>

You mean like this one.

I'm also looking for a 1911 A+B. The other gaps I have are the 1957 calm sea 7 to gap and blunt 7 to bead also the 1912 9 1/2 bead date and 1970 F495B
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    okay... now I need to go look at my sets.image

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Contact me by PM, if you need to get in touch with me, and I'll give you my email address.... >>

You mean like this one.

I'm also looking for a 1911 A+B. The other gaps I have are the 1957 calm sea 7 to gap and blunt 7 to bead also the 1912 9 1/2 bead date and 1970 F495B >>

Yes, exactly..... let me know if you have another to spare.....

I have both 1912's

and 3 of the calm seas... and am supposedly waiting for the 7 to gap......

I have this extra type 4 calm see if you need it...

• Options
    I don't know why the 1912's didn't show, but I'll try again....

Gouby A

Gouby B

• Options
    I need some of the earliier varieties too, as well as a few pennies.... I'll post a list as soon as I update it.....
  • Options
    Here are my 1957 1/2d

The 1st one is 7 to bead, the 2nd I have attributed as 7 left of bead. The next two are spares/not sures. The 3rd is left of bead but the gap from bead to 7 is 0.4mm (normally 0.3mm) could this be blunt?. the last one again is left of bead with normal 0.3mm gap, not sure if blunt or worn
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great thread... this is exactly what the forum is all about... I believe Gazza is deserves a (Darkside Post of The Day) DPOTD Award for this one.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    These are the mine as I have them catalogued....

Type 1: Pointed 7 pointing directly at a bead. .
    Type 2: Pointed 7 pointing slightly to the left of a bead.
    Type 3: Pointed 7 ending directly over a space. NEEDED!!!
    Type 4: Blunt 7 pointing directly to a bead

• Options
    Regarding the 1911 Half Penny varieties here is this information:

1911 Half Penny varieties as identified by Michael Gouby

1911 - 2 Obverse dies

Obv. A D of DEI to bead (Hollow neck)
    Obv. B D of DEI to gap (Rounded neck)

1911 - 2 date spacing varieties

Date a Last 1 to right of bead (10 beads) [note: second 1 in date to gap]
    Date b Last 1 of date to gap ( 9 1/2 beads)

These varieties are not listed in FREEMAN

I need Obverse A with Reverse b for my collection

• Options
    Just wanted to put this back on the first page and to renew my offer......
  • Options
    Just wanted to put this back on the first page and to renew my offer......

(editing didn't do it, so I reposted...)
  • Options
    Nobody come up with a 1970 1/2d yet, I keep looking. I thought I saw one a couple of days ago but it was a penny reverse again, you need to keep an eye out for this one. If you see a 1/2 on the bay always check to see if the seller is also listing a penny and compare the reverses, they often mix them or assume they are the same and don't bother to photograph both coins.
    Happy hunting
    Gary

PS anyone have a spare 1912 2-to-gap
  • Options
    Sellers usually only show the date side on the common coins anyway.....

So it's sometimes impossible to tell....

Offer still stands... no takers yet.....
  • Options
    A Happy New Year to all.....

Maybe this year, I will be lucky enough to have somone these coins for me and claim the reward......

Best of Luck..... Happy Hunting......
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>RBC image At least there's one person awake on here today. Yes it's an unlisted, (by Freeman), narrow rimmed obverse 1970 proof Half Penny. Best $0.99 I've spent. >>

Thanks Gazza... I've been looking for this coin for more than 3 years already... This is the 4th specimen that I have seen......

I'm sure it is not THAT scarce, but most collectors are not aware of the variety, and therefore don't give an otherwise VERY COMMON coin a second look....

Since it has now been brought out in the open, and since many of you will now search for a specimen... I'll sweeten the pot as I need a specimen myself.... I'll offer $75 for the first uncirculated example that is offered for sale to me, or $45 for the first circulated example offered for sale to me....

Contact me by PM, if you need to get in touch with me, and I'll give you my email address.... (several of you already are aware of who I am...)

Thanks...

I also need this specimen (with the wider ship/rim), although Michael Gouby doesn't seem to recognize it's existance... and will make the same offer for this coin too.... I'll offer $75 for the first uncirculated example that is offered for sale to me, or $45 for the first circulated example offered for sale to me....

Contact me by PM, if you need to get in touch with me, and I'll give you my email address....

>>

Latest Update....I now have an F-479....... The offer still stands on the others....

Wish me luck......
  • Options
    I have now acquired a specimen of the 1970 obverse 3 reverse K half penny (see attached)... Still looking for both 1970's with reverse I.......

As I now have both obverse varieties of the 1970, I will offer $50 each for the FIRST specimen of obverse 3, and/or obverse 4 PAIRED with REVERSE I....

Also, $50 for a circulated example of a 1911 half penny with Gouby Obverse A & Reverse B..... will pay more for an EF or better specimen......

HAPPY HUNTING!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Regarding the 1911 Half Penny varieties here is this information:

1911 Half Penny varieties as identified by Michael Gouby

1911 - 2 Obverse dies

Obv. A D of DEI to bead (Hollow neck)
    Obv. B D of DEI to gap (Rounded neck)

1911 - 2 date spacing varieties

Date a Last 1 to right of bead (10 beads) [note: second 1 in date to gap]
    Date b Last 1 of date to gap ( 9 1/2 beads)

These varieties are not listed in FREEMAN

I need Obverse A with Reverse b for my collection >>

This is the 1911 die combination that I referred to in the last post....
  • Options

<< <i>I have now acquired a specimen of the 1970 obverse 3 reverse K half penny (see attached)... Still looking for both 1970's with reverse I.......

As I now have both obverse varieties of the 1970, I will offer $50 each for the FIRST specimen of obverse 3, and/or obverse 4 PAIRED with REVERSE I....

Also, $50 for a circulated example of a 1911 half penny with Gouby Obverse A & Reverse B..... will pay more for an EF or better specimen......

HAPPY HUNTING!!!! >>

That good news, no attachment though. I would be very interested to see the two reverse side by side to confirm the differences.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I have now acquired a specimen of the 1970 obverse 3 reverse K half penny (see attached)... Still looking for both 1970's with reverse I.......

HAPPY HUNTING!!!! >>

That good news, no attachment though. I would be very interested to see the two reverse side by side to confirm the differences. >>

https://us.v-cdn.net/6027503/uploads/oldattachments/1911 both obverses HL-r.jpg

https://us.v-cdn.net/6027503/uploads/oldattachments/1911 both reverses HL-r.jpg
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

HAPPY HUNTING!!!! >>

That good news, no attachment though. I would be very interested to see the two reverse side by side to confirm the differences. >>

• Options
    sorry a misunderstanding, I though that you had meant to attach a photo of the 1970s
  • Options

<< <i>sorry a misunderstanding, I though that you had meant to attach a photo of the 1970s >>

Sorry... I thought I had attached them..... I'm not home now, but I will post when I return......

I think though, that both my obverse 3 and 4 are reverse K's
  • Options
    see if this works
  • Options
    nope..... I'll try again when I get home......
  • Options
    It's me that's mixed up I'm thinking you had both reverses.
  • Options

<< <i>It's me that's mixed up I'm thinking you had both reverses. >>

I wish....