Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Some more unidentified cash coins

Here are a couple more cash type coins that I cannot find the IDs for. They both appear to be made of bronze, the larger being a bit more brassy colored than the smaller. The large one is 39mm, the smaller is 25 mm. Any ideas on these?

"Have a nice day!"

Comments

• Options
    The small one appears to be a Japanese undated Hoei Tsuho 1 mon, cast in 1708; probably the most common Variety 1, which is valued in the latest JNDA catalog at ¥3,000-7,000.

The legend on the larger one indicates that it is a Johei Tsuho 100 mon, but I haven't pinned down a date as yet.
    Roy

• Options
    The larger appears to be Korea 100 Mun KM143 ND(1886)
  • Options

<< <i>The larger appears to be Korea 100 Mun KM143 ND(1886) >>

I think you're right.

That explains two things -

1. Why it's round instead of oval, and
    2. Why it's not listed in the JNDA catalog.

The Japanese reading "tsuho" for the top/bottom characters would sound different, but have the same meaning in Korean, and the Korean reading of the character with the Japanese reading "Johei" would be the something different.

Sumnom, where are you?
    Roy

• Options
    I only have Krause to work with, but isn't the smaller Kanei Tsuho? Edo mint?
  • Options

<< <i>I only have Krause to work with, but isn't the smaller Kanei Tsuho? Edo mint? >>

Not very likely, since the Kanei Tsuho has the character "kan" at the top and the one pictured has the character "ho".
    Roy

• Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    The 100 mun coin was minted in 1866-67. Catalogues will say 1866 but minting began very late in the year. Most were actually produced in 1867.

The legend reads sangp'yong t'ongbo.
  • Options
    I still say the smaller one is a Kanei Tsuho, or Shin-Kaneisen. image It doesn't match the picture of the Hoei-Tsuho in the JNDA catalog that I finally bought. Unless I'm looking in the wrong spot, which is very likely, since I can't read anything but the English parts and the numbers image
  • Options
    Not very likely, since the Kanei Tsuho has the character "kan" at the top and the one pictured has the character "ho".

I am afraid you are mistaken. The character at 12 o'clock on the smaller coin is indeed "kan."
  • Options
    Blackhawk, you out there?
  • Options
    Wow,

I feel silly. I have several cast coins that look similar to these that I have no idea about and I never thought of taking pictures and posting them on here for ID.

Put that on my list of things to do next year....
    Some call it an accumulation not a collection
  • Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Blackhawk, you out there? >>

Indeed...way out there. image

Thanks for the help everyone! I still cannot find the Japanese coin in my Krause, but found the larger piece from Korea in there.

"Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    I don't think the Japanese piece is uncommon. That is to say, I think it is common.
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't think the Japanese piece is uncommon. That is to say, I think it is common. >>

Yes, I think the Kan'ei tsuuhoh is not uncommon.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    Truly true, no?