Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Questions about the new Fivaz-Stanton numbered holders

seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
1) How do I get my coins in those, do I use the Mint Error service as inthe past and list the FS number on the form? Or do they have a new separate service (ala VAMs) that I can use?

2) Are there any plans for a FS variety registry? If so, how will varieties already recognized by PCGS be incorporated? Also, will it be only those varieties with a certain interest rating, or broken down into subsets by denomination, or series, or just one big comprehensive set? I can't imagine many Registry players running out to get two-feather Buffalo Nickels in FS holders, but then again I don't know that I fully uderstand the registry phenomenon.

Sean Reynolds
Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor

Comments

• Options
    Good question! I have not been able to get a definitive answer on this.

I finally gave up trying to get my basically similar question answered and just shipped as Economy-error and listed the FS number on the form.

We don't want anything "ala VAM", because then they would be charging an additional $15 / coin.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use the variety service. I just sent in 3 and used the variety review (they were already holdered) and listed the varieties. They came back designated with their own PCGS number.

No idea on the registry plans for these coins.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    Sean, you do use the Mint error service but make sure you have IN BOLD "Variety" and note the FS #. If you don't put the variety thing it ends up going to Mr. Wienberg for no reason and may come back without the variety (this happened to me once).
  • Options
    Since they amazingly have not got anything specific up & running on their website since they announced this in August, you'll have to add variety review ($15) to ANY order or else it will come back in an older style mint error holder without it's own unique PCGS No.

If you don't care about this, they will still add the FS# to the holder under the mint error service.
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    My suggestion is that you write or call Carol Bennett (CarolJ) at Customer Service. Explain to her fully EXACTLY what you want to do. Let HER guide you thru the process.

It is obvious that PCGS still doesn't have their act set on this. If you really want the slabs to read what you want them to read, you should deal with someone who has the position and the responsibility to make it happen. I'm afraid that relying on other members here to relay their experiences won't assure you of getting the results you want. Good luck.
    Steve
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My suggestion is that you write or call Carol Bennett (CarolJ) at Customer Service. Explain to her fully EXACTLY what you want to do. Let HER guide you thru the process.

It is obvious that PCGS still doesn't have their act set on this. If you really want the slabs to read what you want them to read, you should deal with someone who has the position and the responsibility to make it happen. I'm afraid that relying on other members here to relay their experiences won't assure you of getting the results you want. Good luck.
    Steve >>

That is what I did, I wrote them and then called for clarification. I was told to use the variety service and indicate the FS number. It may be different now, this was a few weeks ago.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting. I plan to call CarolJ when I get a chance.

I called Customer Service about 10 days ago and asked about whether they were designating FS varieties. The answer I got was "not yet".

I guess you have to go up the ladder to get the right answer.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just sent in an FS coin December 7. I was told to use either modern service (mine was a 1968-S proof quarter) or Economy (I had 4 other non-modern coins to send), but in either case I had to pay an extra $15 for Variety Attribution.
    When in doubt, don't.