Home Sports Talk
Options

Gilbert

gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
Holy cow! Did anyone else watch this game? I watch every Zards game, every year, and he is one of the most unheralded stars in all of sports!
I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !

Comments

• Options
    He had a great game and was in the zone. I love how Kobe got absolutely WORKED by Arenas and it was clear that his enormous ego was severly bruised based on his comments after the game:

Bryant, who guarded him most of the time, was matter-of-fact, if not irreverent, in explaining it.

"You tip your hat and say, 'See you next time,' " Bryant said. "First of all, he shot 27 free throws. We as a team shot 30. Think about that.

"But him individually, it's funny. He doesn't seem to have much of a conscience. I really don't think he does. Some of the shots he took tonight, you miss those, and they're just terrible shots. Awful. You make them and they're unbelievable shots. I don't get a chance to play him much, so I haven't gotten used to that mentality of just chucking it up there. He made some big ones, but I'll be ready next time."

Afterward, when all the points and records had been collected, sifted and announced, Lakers Coach Phil Jackson was asked if he ever considered taking Bryant off Arenas.

"Yes, we thought we'd take him off, but he wanted him and he thought that it was the best matchup out there, so I let him have his way," Jackson said.

So Arenas torches poor Kobe and Kobe rips him about taking bad shots and then whines about how the refs put Arenas on the line too much. Man, if that isn't the pot calling the kettle black. I bet his teammates, who he alienates and trashes on a regular basis, secretly loved watching him get torched like he did last night.

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"But him individually, it's funny. He doesn't seem to have much of a conscience. I really don't think he does. Some of the shots he took tonight, you miss those, and they're just terrible shots. Awful. You make them and they're unbelievable shots. I don't get a chance to play him much, so I haven't gotten used to that mentality of just chucking it up there. He made some big ones, but I'll be ready next time." >>

Uh, that's basketball, Kobe. You of all people should know that.

It's called feeding the hot hand who while he's "in the zone." Certainly Kobe has had his share of games like that, where he scores an ungodly amount of points because even his ill-advised shots go in while he's completely locked in.
  • Options
    I turned it to ESPN and ESPNews right after the game ended attempting to see some analysis. While I had it on ESPNews the score went by on the Ticker. If you are familiar with the ESPNews ticker then you know that in addition to the score it will scroll the key stats to the right of it. The Wizards score came up and on the right it said WSH: Jamison 23 pts 13 rebs LAL: Bryant 45 pts 10 Asts. How much less respect can you get than to be ignored when you go for 60. They sure as hell didn't forget to list Kobe's 45. What exactly does Gilbert need to do before people give him the respect he deserves. He goes for 60 and they barely mention it anywhere. You go to ESPN.com or CBS.Sportsline.com and there is one article with a very small headline off to the side. Usually when a guy goes for 60 or more it is front page news. It sure as hell always has been for Kobe. By the way it is not just this game in which he is outplaying Kobe this year, he also has a higher per game scoring average. Gilbert is #3 in the league while Kobe is #4. Gilbert is averaging 29.3 pts a game, and yet is 4th in All-Star voting for Eastern Conference guards. Iverson is the only Eastern conference player averaging more pointes a game than Arenas. Gilbert is behind Allen Iverson, Dwayne Wade, and Vince Carter in the voting. By the way, since when is Vince Carter a guard? I always thought he was a three.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>How much less respect can you get than to be ignored when you go for 60. They sure as hell didn't forget to list Kobe's 45. What exactly does Gilbert need to do before people give him the respect he deserves. He goes for 60 and they barely mention it anywhere. You go to ESPN.com or CBS.Sportsline.com and there is one article with a very small headline off to the side. Usually when a guy goes for 60 or more it is front page news. It sure as hell always has been for Kobe. >>

It's sort of like what happens when golfer wins a tournament by eight strokes, and Tiger Woods comes in 23rd place, but in the media it's still All Tiger All The Time.
  • Options
    Not a bad week!
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    does it again!
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely the most under rated players in basketball.

Shane

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
  • Options
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    Was I the only one who had no clue what a Zard was? I guess it's better than calling them the "Wiz".
  • Options

Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    Does it again.